4th Gen no charging while running

FairWeatherFellow

So i thought I solved my electrical issues with the VFRNESS and new RR. Last RR was junk and caught on fire, replaced it with a RR from wiremybike.com. After I spliced in the new plug and put in the new RR my battery started dying on me. It would take a charge but wouldn't keep it, got it load tested and came up bad, so I replaced it. Now with the new battery I have zero volts coming back to the battery from the bike. Think it's the stator? How can I test it? 

Thanks, Miles

• Member Contributer

Measure AC over each pairing of the (disconnected from the RR) 3 yellow wires coming from the stator. With a charged battery, your bike shoudl run for a while.

Measure with engine cold AND hot.

The 3rd/4th gen shop manual is in the download section here on VFRD

4 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Measure AC over each pairing of the (disconnected from the RR) 3 yellow wires coming from the stator. With a charged battery, your bike shoudl run for a while.

Measure with engine cold AND hot.

The 3rd/4th gen shop manual is in the download section here on VFRD

Alright I'll give it a shot, I've got a few manuals here I'll reference for AC. Could having one of the yellow wires mixed up at the plug cause an issue? I assume it's the same signal from each right?

Thanks, Miles

• Member Contributer

In addition to Dutchy's suggestion you should check the starter relay. It is located under the front of the seat near the battery. The output of the rec/reg goes through it en route to the battery.

Here is what a bad one looks like: bad starter relay 

Make sure to lift up the boot over the small gauge wire as that is the connector that can be comprised from overheating.

• Member Contributer

if your starter relay is farked, I have a spare (redslut's) in the shed :goofy:

It worked flawlessly (icw a VFRness) 

Welp luckily it wasn't anything catastrophic or a pain to deal with. When I went to check the current on the plug coming from the stator,  I noticed the metal pins inside my plug had slid back out of place and not making a connection. A little upsetting that when I went to shove them back in place they didn't snap in. I had the bend the back of the tangs up and front down. Oh well, easy fix, but poor quality on the plug part.

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen.

• Member Contributer

Glad you got it figured out! I think the best thing I did was go to the 5th gen R/R setup, after that I had no more issues.

• Member Contributer

Good catch!

U can still go and measure the stator output though... :goofy:

Archived