Anthony

hi new member just bought this with quickshifter and bar risers and remus exhaust loving the bike but taking a while to get used to the new riding position,

engine feels a little rough when cold is this normal ?

FH14DCY_0.jpg

Hi.  Welcome!

My bike is the same color.  Wise choice!

I haven't had any issues with the bike running rough when cold, but I have noticed a very slight stumble off idle on occasion.  It may actually be related to the gearing, which I feel is too tall in first.  So I'm not sure if that's the cause or not.  But it's really been a non-issue for me.  Hope it's something as simple as that.  

• Member Contributer

I drive my 800X (same engine) off the drive immediately from cold and there's nothing more than the usual "I don't really like being cold" VFR whinge. None of them are good from cold. You can warm them up if you wish, but I don't cos it doesn't bother me and I have over a mile at 20mph to do when she's cold! 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

I start it, put in earplugs, strap on helmet, gloves on, ride.

So, maybe a minute or so.

Same.

I start the bike, zip up my jacket, put on my helmet, gloves, and kick my foot over the bike. From there I just take it easy for a few minutes.

Welcome! Mine's like yours and I have a Remus too. I can only agree with the others, if I start up and move off immediately it doesn't like it. I start up before putting my gloves on, even that small delay seems to be enough time for the motor to get ready to roll.

• Member Contributer
On 26 August 2017 at 6:56 AM, Anthony said:

hi new member just bought this with quickshifter and bar risers and remus exhaust loving the bike but taking a while to get used to the new riding position,

engine feels a little rough when cold is this normal ?

FH14DCY_0.jpg

There appears to be a known sluggish throttle response when the engine is cold, has nothing to do with VTEC ops. See the attached link.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/85646-8g-first-gear-restriction/

It's not just VTEC. Even with about 60 seconds of idling in 95 degree heat, it acts weird until the coolant gets to around 120 degrees.

But yeah, VTEC also doesn't engage until certain conditions are met. It doesn't seem to be a constant temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always found that when cold and in stop and go (like the dozen or so stop signs near my house) 1st and 2nd gear the throttle is choppy. The way I feel it, it seems the revs are being held up by the ECU and if you're not giving enough throttle to be at those revs, it seems to chop up and down a bit. Need to be even smoother on the throttle for a minute or 3 as previously mentioned. VTEC doesn't come on until it has reached a certain temp, but I would suggest to wait until the bike has reach full operating temp (i.e. whatever temperature you're at when cruising on the highway for 30 min.).

Ultimately, I don't find this bike is "at home" cruising around town in 1st or second. It want's to be in 4th 5th or sixth unless you are accelerating hard, in which case, she loves it!

Welcome to the board, awesome bike and great choice on the quick shifter. Wish I had the foresight to order that as an accessory when I bought the bike new.

Archived