This is how NOT to park your motorcycle in garage.

MisterBill

• Member Contributer

OK, this comes under heading of doing stupid sh%&. I was putting motorcycle on center stand to oil the chain, foot slipped off, lost balance, fell forward, knocked motorcycle AWAY from me (of course). I could not stop the bike from falling. Took me right over with it. My right wrist hit the concrete floor very hard. It is severely sore and swollen. The right footpeg or frame landed on top of my right foot. That foot is severely hurt and swollen.

Word of advice - I am only going to put this bike on the center stand if I absolutely have to and if I have someone to spot me from now on.

Oh! And since it was close to my beautifully restored 1969 Ford Mustang Mach I (an innocent victim), there are now two big dents in the left rear quarter panel.

Be extra careful guys and girls. Once these bikes start going away from you, it is all over.

20170821_114008[1].jpg

20170821_120408[1].jpg

• Member Contributer

Sorry for your drop and the collateral damage to you and the Mustang. There is an evil angle at which the 6th gen is no longer recoverable by a mere mortal--I'm going to say 40 or 45 degrees, it's not as far over as you'd think.  I don't find the bike top heavy,  except in this one circumstance. Here's where I make you feel a little better:  I've only dropped mine once in seven years of ownership (touches wood desk while typing)--and it was at a VFRD meet, the 2012 Summer Summit in Montrose, CO.  I was backpedalling into a parking spot in the lot of the Best Western, when my right foot found air instead of asphalt.  There was a depression for a drain that I hadn't noticed.  The bike tipped to the right, I tried to stop it, but it was past the 'tipping point' (maybe VFR riders coined that phrase).  I couldn't stop it, but I did succeed in slowing it down.  There was a popping sound, and my right mirror skittered across the pavement--into the hands of a friendly VFRD member.

So, highly embarrassing to drop your bike at a meet, but on the plus side two or three other riders swooped in to stand it up again practically before I realized what had happened.  Then at least four other riders told me of their drops including two who took me to their bikes to show me missing or repaired mirrors.  I was lucky.  I was uninjured (except for my pride) and apart from the mirror there were only a couple of tiny scratches on the fairing that you miss if you don't know they're there.  $100 for a new mirror and I was whole again.  I did invest in a set of no cut Oggy Knobbs when I got home as insurance.  I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that a 180-pound man has a hard time holding up a 500-pound bike when it hits the tipping point, but it surprised me.

Id4iZgj.jpg?2

GyySPn4.jpg  

• Member Contributer

If you're on the left side and the bike starts toward the right, there is very little you can do to stop it. A very small amount past center is

all it takes since you just don't have any leverage to hold it upright. It's happened to me a number of times including several relatively

light weight dirt bikes. Gravity is a harsh mistress.

• Member Contributer

I feel your pain....

IMAG7310.thumb.jpg.20492cdc939d039a1601c4e2f8176d91.jpg

I was lucky, only one fake cf mirror snapped and a tiny undeep scratch in the tank... Phew!

I own an 07 RWB and am also a Mustang fanatic, the Mach being my favorite. I can't imagine how sick you are over this, so sorry to hear.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Can't imagine how you must feel.  Since I'm all of 5'6" and 150 lbs. wet (full of beer) I built a small ramp to back the Veefer onto, which makes getting the bike onto the center stand quite easy.  

IMG_0060.JPG

Knock on wood, but my 34" inseam has, no doubt, saved me from this fate so far. I have dropped a bike at low speed (and high speeds) and know how bad it makes you feel every time you see it. It goes away with time, though. Hope you heal up quickly, you can't just pick yourself up and carry on like that. Sucks about the car as well. I love Mustangs, but it at least looks like a somewhat easy repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't imagine how you must feel.  Since I'm all of 5'6" and 150 lbs. wet (full of beer) I built a small ramp to back the Veefer onto, which makes getting the bike onto the center stand quite easy.  
IMG_0060.thumb.JPG.954baa5e1337d7d46d487951c83d6d18.JPG

Glad I'm not the only little guy here...5'07" on a good day. #cantflatfootitatastoplight.

I laid mine down on the left side in the garage since I thought the side stand was down all the way, but it was not. Doh! :wacko:

There have been a few others over the years. It does not have to lean far before it is too damn heavy to stop going down.

Knock wood, I have always managed to avoid getting crunched under the bike.

Don't ask how, it happens fast.

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone for your wishes to get better. Yep, I knew I wasn't the only one to have ever done this.

• Member Contributer

Ride often enough... :blush:

But, once they've experienced each of the "usual" situations in which a tipover is possible, most riders stop dropping their bikes.  (Which is a very good reason why you shouldn't start out riding your "dream bike" if it is fitted with expensive plastic bits...)

Center stands aren't as stable as one might think.  I got caught out once on a long distance ride, when I stopped to fill up in a slippery service station.  Got off the bike, put the centre stand down, stood on the pedal and watched helplessly as the bike lifted onto the outside leg of the stand and right over into the gas pump.  Fortunately, the hard luggage saved it from any damage, and someone immediately helped me right the bike.

I had put the stand down before jumping on the pedal, but the bike was leaned over to the right when I did it, so it was unbalanced from the get-go.  Now I put the stand down, and then make sure I feel both legs on the ground before jumping on the pedal to lift it up.  (Then there's the soft ground/center stand paradox--which isn't, really...)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, JZH said:

and watched helplessly as the bike lifted onto the outside leg of the stand and right over into the gas pump.  Fortunately, the hard luggage saved it from any damage, and someone immediately helped me right the bike.

Och well,

what can I say........

:491::491::491:

P8141116.thumb.JPG.71b569f0ebdf2c85a83a6a831101e2d9.JPG

Ouch! Hope you get it all sorted quickly. Get that wrist and foot healed so you can still make it to Marion next month.  As for the Mustang, check on a paintless dent guy. I had really good luck on a truck that I bought. Not perfect but really close and only cost $200.

Last time I had a bike fall away from me while putting on the centerstand - my '84 V65 Sabre at my friend's house (I was 18!) and I didn't notice the sidewalk was uneven which crossed his driveway.  It fell away from me slowly, landing on the right mirror of the Hondaline fairing, and edge of right Supertrapp muffler (which were rare pieces).

So now when preparing to put the bike on the centerstand at locations other than my garage, I tap the centerstand feet on the pavement a couple of times and rock it side-to-side to make sure I feel both feet are on solid/even ground before placing it on the stand.  

OK, this comes under heading of doing stupid sh%&. I was putting motorcycle on center stand to oil the chain, foot slipped off, lost balance, fell forward, knocked motorcycle AWAY from me (of course). I could not stop the bike from falling. Took me right over with it. My right wrist hit the concrete floor very hard. It is severely sore and swollen. The right footpeg or frame landed on top of my right foot. That foot is severely hurt and swollen.

Word of advice - I am only going to put this bike on the center stand if I absolutely have to and if I have someone to spot me from now on.

Oh! And since it was close to my beautifully restored 1969 Ford Mustang Mach I (an innocent victim), there are now two big dents in the left rear quarter panel.

Be extra careful guys and girls. Once these bikes start going away from you, it is all over.
59a04d0d04811_20170821_1140081.thumb.jpg.6d208da6232eb7521c2e5c604a6273ad.jpg
59a04d2b4030d_20170821_1204081.thumb.jpg.8dd2436735318027845debbd6be0c4f6.jpg
I feel for you brother, nothing worse than seeing your baby kiss the earth.

Oh man, I am so sorry.  I, too, own a mustang, a 1966 convertible.  If my VFR fell and hit my 'Stang,...ugh,...I can't picture it.

I hope all gets put back to normal soon.

• Member Contributer

Ouch, I dropped my wife's cruiser bicycle onto the tank of my pristine '90 3rd gen last year. The chain ring landed right on the gas tank, and was gonna order the $800 dollar tank to replace it.  I was lagging because of the cost, and now they are not available any more, so I will have to have it repainted. 

Last month I was working on the race bike, and drained the nasty gas out of the tank, which made it super light, AND top-heavy. I was cleaning the carbs and heard a big bang. The wind knocked the tank off of the plastic bin it had been sitting on for three weeks, and it flipped over landing on the concrete, destroying yet another pristine tank.

FUDGE!

When you are doing easy mundane tasks that you regularly do, you don't always envision the "worst case scenario" so your guard is down, and sometimes it bites you.............

Oh that sux. Along similar lines, I had my RWB fall over in the garage some months ago, and dent the tank. I had the bike running, sitting on the center stand just inside the garage door (to vent exhaust). Well, my garage floor is about 1/2" or so above the driveway join. While I was working on something else over at a table, I heard a crashing sound. She had fallen part way over on to my generator, denting the tank. While idling, she had taken a walk backwards and one side of the center stand dropped off the lip of the floor/driveway joint. That's all it took ...

ACE

• Member Contributer

I feel your pain.

I once dropped my 06 onto the door of my Lexus LS460.  Didn't take pictures due to not wanting to ever be re-traumatized.

This just proves my theory that garages are for bikes only.

Archived