USB Power ideas

joepopp

• Member Contributer

What are you guys doing on your 8 Gens for USB power? It turns out I will be using a yoke mounted ram ball. The factory 12V kit puts the connector under the passenger seat! Pics appreciated. 

They have similar at Cycle Gear ($20?), that hook directly into your battery tender adapter (if you have one), or you can hook up all the way to the battery.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Be sure to double check the power requirements of your USB device(s) and compare them to the output of the charger you plan to buy. If your charger only puts out 2.1A it won't keep your phone charged if the phone needs higher amperage for gps/screen/etc. I had to upgrade my 2.4A charger to 4.8A to keep my phone charged while using the phone for gps +music on the bike.

The charger I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV1MTAA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Member Contributer

Depends what you want to power off it and if it needs to be switched. I mounted a USB connector under my seat but directly to the battery, that way, phone's, headsets, et'c can be charged over night.

The other way would be to mount a USB (marine grade) on the yoke or the top fairing but wire it to the supply for the factory kit. that way you get it switched with the ignition.

I got this one:

https://fortnine.ca/en/tecmate-universal-usb-compact-charger-with-sae-connector

Connects to my battery tender cable and I bought an extension and plan to route it to me handlebars where I will be installing a RAM mount that I also ordered. O100.jpgI'll let you know how it works when it arrives in a week or two.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the input! I am really looking for ways to mount a USB near the speedo. Sorry to be unclear. I already have the power source worked out. I just may run an iPhone Cable from under the seat. 

The double socket I bought (in the link on my post above) is fastened with a tiewrap to the bar above the top radiator.  If you look down past the clocks you'll see it.  I than ran the cable under the tank to the battery.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, joepopp said:

Thanks for all the input! I am really looking for ways to mount a USB near the speedo. Sorry to be unclear. I already have the power source worked out. I just may run an iPhone Cable from under the seat. 

How about something like this mounted in one of the fairing panels. ?

$_35.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, fink said:

Fine if your in a country where it doesn't rain. Useless over here. 

Er... Marine grade waterproof USB socket... Thought of that dear boy. :goofy:

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Woodie said:

How about something like this mounted in one of the fairing panels. ?

$_35.jpg

I had the Blue Sea Dual USB Marine and a Datel Volt meter on my Gen 6. There were black plastic panels I didn't mind drilling through but not the same on the Gen 8. Not too keen drilling through the painted panels!

I did use it in the driving rain with no problems! 

IMG_8473.thumb.jpg.a88533867cdd624e3b1b81170345d399.jpg

IMG_8465.jpg

On 8/29/2017 at 3:14 PM, Ohlias said:

I got this one:

https://fortnine.ca/en/tecmate-universal-usb-compact-charger-with-sae-connector

Connects to my battery tender cable and I bought an extension and plan to route it to me handlebars where I will be installing a RAM mount that I also ordered. I'll let you know how it works when it arrives in a week or two.

So I said I'd report back: I got the RAM mount installed on the center steering hole. I used my TecMate / Optimate extension charging lead connected to the main battery, routed it under the gas tank and then up under the front cowl and used velcro to mount the USB charger. The charger is straight the battery and my understanding is that it will charge the phone even when ignition is off.

59b29e0905f65_FullSizeRender(3).thumb.jpg.66bc103fd061701af75755dfa427fcfa.jpg59b29e05527a2_FullSizeRender(5).thumb.jpg.d8c931b01a2fde61bb8196b40a0abb8e.jpg59b29e03e5f6f_FullSizeRender(6).thumb.jpg.b04dc18aa9b9ac0419fa6e084f206758.jpg59b29e0729655_FullSizeRender(4).thumb.jpg.1aa8d6ed3555ab5923672dc81df096ae.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/8/2017 at 9:43 AM, Ohlias said:

So I said I'd report back: I got the RAM mount installed on the center steering hole. I used my TecMate / Optimate extension charging lead connected to the main battery, routed it under the gas tank and then up under the front cowl and used velcro to mount the USB charger. The charger is straight the battery and my understanding is that it will charge the phone even when ignition is off.

59b29e0905f65_FullSizeRender(3).thumb.jpg.66bc103fd061701af75755dfa427fcfa.jpg59b29e05527a2_FullSizeRender(5).thumb.jpg.d8c931b01a2fde61bb8196b40a0abb8e.jpg59b29e03e5f6f_FullSizeRender(6).thumb.jpg.b04dc18aa9b9ac0419fa6e084f206758.jpg59b29e0729655_FullSizeRender(4).thumb.jpg.1aa8d6ed3555ab5923672dc81df096ae.jpg

Nicely done! Great idea! 

Archived