Radiator fan turns off too soon

Getter

So, usually my 03 vfr radiator fan kicks on at about 220 degrees F, runs until the temp is 210, and then turns off.  In slow traffic on a hot day, this cycle happens a lot.  

On on two occasions I have noticed the fan kicking on at 220 as normal, then turning off at about 218.  Anyone had any experience with this?

• Member Contributer

Just bear in mind that the fan switch and the engine coolant temperature sensor are two quite separate devices in different parts of the cooling system; the ECT is on the back of the front block, the fan switch is on the edge of the radiator. So it would not seem at all unusual for the two not to agree on a coolant temperature depending on the engine revs and coolant flow, and I would expect the ECT would usually be the higher of the two. But I do agree with Squirrelman, adding a manual switch would allow you to override the thermoswitch. All you need to do is tap into the wire that connects to the spade terminal on the thermoswitch, and run a wire from there to any good grounding point via a switch.

Yeah, you're both right about the parallel switch.  That would be a good insurance policy.  I appreciate the additional information about the switch and sensor!

Archived