VFR 800 heated grip install...how long should it take?

Billyzoom1

Howdy folks.

I'm starting to lose some confidence in my dealer, and I'm hoping someone here with the non-deluxe VFR800 has had the factory heated grips installed.  I already bought them, and the dealer says it will take "two or three hours" to install them.  That sounds pretty excessive to me, especially as it's a factory product.  

If any of you have feedback, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Heated grips take a bit of effort to install as you need to access battery power, so need to pull a reasonable amount of bodywork off to run the cables from the battery to the bars and the controller. Then remove the old grips and replace with new, allow time for glue to set. 2-3 hours sounds a little generous but I'm sure I took at least that long when I installed my Oxford Hotgrips. 

Same thoughts here :

It took me around 2-3 hours to do it on my CBF 600S with technoglobe grips. But I was (and still is) a complete mechanic noob and plugged the heated grips into the license plate lighting...

So even if I had much less fairing do deal with, it seems a bit excessive for me.

I don't know how does it works in the US but here (France) the dealership often applies a flat number of hours given by Honda.

hope it helps.

V

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Coatzin said:

I don't know how does it works in the US but here (France) the dealership often applies a flat number of hours given by Honda.

Same here, there's a job list, including services with allocated permissible hours, phone another dealer and ask them

I recently had mine replaced on my Deluxe (grips were starting wear out/tear).  Dealer charged 2.5 hrs.  It was already at the shop for a 20k mile service, and I didn't feel like dealing with it myself, so I paid too much for them to do it.  Basically, the exact same work is required to add them to a Standard, or replace them on a Deluxe.

• 3 weeks later...

This seems like a worthwhile mod especially for those cooler mornings commuting to work (or headed home after hours when ambient air temp drops.)

Has anybody installed them on their own?  I'm pretty handy with a wrench and can follow instructions.  I plan on installing them later this year or more likely during the offseason for Spring.  The instructions seem pretty straightforward and most of the time is probably removing/reinstalling the fairings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

It’s an easy installation, takes a couple of hours. All of the connections are already there, so it’s really a matter of connecting things. Most of the side fairings need to come off, then you’ll stare at the little controller box for a half hour until your brain says “aha!”

You may have 20 or so of the included tyraps left over. Honda likes to truss up wiring like a thanksgiving turkey, just in case gravity fails.

Pg

Archived