• Member Contributer

I just left the local Honda dealers and ordered a few twist fairing fasteners, I would call them Dzus fasteners but I am not sure that is correct.

I would like to take them all out and put on the  Ducati style fasteners with the ring handle.  I am sure someone has done this, couldn't find anything in search.

• Member Contributer

More generically, "quarter-turn" fasteners, but Dzus is the best known manufacturer.  Try Kurveygirl.  I think the OEM ones are "Panex" style, but tbh I've never really looked very deeply into replacing the OEM fasteners on my VFRs, mainly because I haven't found any in stainless. 

I measure the OEMs as 14mm, but I'm not sure I'm measuring correctly...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I believe they are essentially 1/4" x 1/2" long quarter turns,  I just ordered 4 w/washers from Honda @ $12 each.  I need something to keep bodywork from blowing off

, I am using nylon ties in some places right now.  Being a Ducati guy for years I fell in love with the ring type and I will get some, oh yes I will!

Btw, last year I was behind a 'Busa that came undressed at 100+ mph, right in front of my eyes.  I was in my truck so I picked the guy up and we went back the 2 miles it took to pick up all his stuff

what happened is he hit a piece of wood in the road and it broke the chin fairing and the rest was history.

• Member Contributer

I've now found not only stainless, but also titanium ones, both with the ring and without.  RaceBolt in the UK has them in 14mm and 17mm lengths, stainless or titanium.  Another eBay seller, SpeedyFasteners, has 17mm non-ring ones in stainless.  None of these are cheap, but the non-ring RaceBolt stainless ones are the cheapest (when ordered directly from them, not eBay).  

Now the problem I have is that I still don't know which size fits...  I'd guess the 14mm. 

I do like the look of the ones with the rings, but I'm not sure there is enough room in the recessed areas in the fairings to accommodate the rings.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Bloody browsers...  (I normally do provide pics and links, but the browser I've recently switched to doesn't seem to have a "copy link" function.)

After switching to another browser, here is a pic of the RaceBoltUK 14mm hex socket titanium version:

s-l1600.jpg

And here is the same, but with the ring:

$_58.JPG

RaceBoltUK only seems to sell the titanium version on eBay, but they also have stainless on their own website (which is quite a bit cheaper in any case).

RaceBoltUK's 17mm versions:

p-5051-prod3119697.jpg

and

p-3648-prod3119663.jpg

Here's the SpeedyFasteners 17mm stainless version from eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

Also sold on their website.

The OEM fastener I measured was 17mm, measured in the conventional way bolts are measured (from under the head to the tip of the fastener), and the 14mm Dzus fasteners look a bit short, so I would probably buy a few in 17mm, now that I've found some good sources.  Enjoy! 

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Oops, I ordered a set of stainless steel 17mm hex head quick release fasteners from RaceBoltUK. :wacko:

Looks like Pro-Bolt also has them (or maybe just the titanium ones), but ProBolt is much more expensive over here.  The cheapest stainless option would have been the ones from Speedy Fasteners, but I wanted hex heads to help "retain" the full set of NOS R-157 fairing panels I've been saving for the last dozen years...

Since the topic is "fairing fasteners" I may as well mention that I plan to also buy the titanium knock-off ones from Titan Classics.

mt4jumble.jpg

Only need four of these on a 3rd gen (only four are visible with the fairing in place, I mean), (£5 ea.), plus a couple of these (also £5 ea.):

hon90112-ML7-920.jpg

If anyone made them in stainless steel, I'd be happy with that, but nobody does AFAIK.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

FYI, the 17mm RaceBolt quick release fasteners are perfect on my 3rd gen.  I also ordered clear and black nylon washers  (clear under the heads and black to retain them when released) from Speedy Fasteners.

Ciao,

Archived