06 Fuel Pump Issues

Bigbeam

My bike stalled over the weekend and won't start. Ignition powers on and I can crank the starter but I don't hear the normal fuel pump prime. I pulled the tank and checked the voltage and only getting 200mV to the pump when I turn the ignition on. Not sure what the correct voltage is but assume it should be somewhere around 12-14 volts? 

Looking for ideas where to look from here... Where is the fuel pump relay located - I want to see if power is at least getting to the relay?  

• Member Contributer

When you check for voltage at the fuel pump make sure you put the multi meter probes on the wires before switching the key on as the pump only works fof 2-3 sec initially and then stops until the bike starts.  This maybe why you are getting a low reading if you are switching on and then connecting the leads to your meter.

Fuel pump is located in the fuel tank and is accesible through the removal of 6 nuts under the tank. The whole assembly including pump, filter, fuel level gauge will then come out of the tank.

You're right. I did have it connected but the voltage spike only lasts less than 1/2 a second. Will pull the pump and check that. I hope this is it and not other electrical gremlins.

I see the oem replacement kit is quite spendy (>$400 canadian) but did find a company called Quantum Fuel Systems that sells the pump for $70 US. Any reason why I shouldn't go this route? Wish I could find an after market filter as well. $50 CAN? Really?

Weirdness. Pulled the tank and fuel pump. Hooked the fuel pump up to the battery and it turned over fine - granted without the fuel filter trying to pull fuel. I did the fuel filter last year so I can't see that being bad with only a couple of k on it. Took the fuel pump back to the main harness and turned the ignition on and it fired on like it normally does. 

Is that teabag thing on the intake to the fuel pump supposed to be changed or cleaned? I've never done anything with that. Now I'm wondering if I should just replace the pump and fuel filter just to be safe? Gremlins!

• Member Contributer

Hi Bigbeam.

Things to check. Make sure that the Ground for the Fuel Pump is good. The 12v positive feed to the pump goes via Main Fuse B 30amp to the Fuel Cut Relay, this relay is controlled by the Engine Stop Relay and the Bank Angle Sensor as well as the Fuel Cut Relay switching ground via the ECU. You need to check these items with a multimeter following the circuit diagram, just to be sure you've covered all bases. You don't want to be stranded somewhere with a dead fuel pump.

Good Luck.

Archived