Side Mirror Alternatives

bighawk

This question probably only pertains to anyone who lives in california and split lanes.

Ive noticed the stock mirrors are at the perfect proportions to those of other drivers cars. When traffic is stopped i pull in the mirrors and its like the bike transformed from a harley to a dirtbike. Anyone ever replace the stock mirrors? If so, with what?

Thank you

• Member Contributer

Hardly seems worth the effort for the amount of time you actually spend going through traffic that's close together 

I know most of the roads in California north of Vennis beach north, the lanes in the USA are so much wider than in the UK as is the distance between cars, I've never had a problem on the drag from the Mission district up Van Ness to Lombard filtering through the traffic and that's in the middle of San Francisco 

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

Hardly seems worth the effort for the amount of time you actually spend going through traffic that's close together 

I know most of the roads in California north of Vennis beach north, the lanes in the USA are so much wider than in the UK as is the distance between cars, I've never had a problem on the drag from the Mission district up Van Ness to Lombard filtering through the traffic and that's in the middle of San Francisco 

I was thinking the same thing, NYC vs LA.

Admittedly, I did get a bit jaded that couple of weeks that my friend lent me his stripped '89 NX650.

Yeah I'm not sure where you all rode but makes a huge difference with mirrors pulled in vs not. It's tight through places like pch and more. 

Following a friend on his zx10 w his factory mirtors had me extremely jealous. 

So no one on the forum ever changed factory mirrors or has seen factory or aftermarket options available? 

Thx

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, bighawk said:

Yeah I'm not sure where you all rode but makes a huge difference with mirrors pulled in vs not. It's tight through places like pch and more. 

Following a friend on his zx10 w his factory mirtors had me extremely jealous. 

So no one on the forum ever changed factory mirrors or has seen factory or aftermarket options available? 

Thx

Not that I've seen........

I live directly off PCH. 405 is a common ride. Tight splitting is not a problem.

• Member Contributer

On my 900SS, I can squeeze through the tightest of spots but the mirrors are practically worthless unless I pull my elbows to my sides, otherwise I get a good view of my forearms.

I thought I read somewhere that CBR mirrors that have the same mount type as the 6 Gen mount are shorter in length but have not read or heard anything on 8 Gen mirrors. I also have not confirmed whether the CBR mirrors are in fact shorter. You might look into other Honda models to see if their mirrors might work and possibly be a bit shorter. 

I have FWIW,  cbr600 oem mirrors on the 5th gen.  just a tad shorter and cleaner looking to me, and work just fine for when you're wondering whats behind ya.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

On my 900SS, I can squeeze through the tightest of spots but the mirrors are practically worthless unless I pull my elbows to my sides, otherwise I get a good view of my forearms.

I thought I read somewhere that CBR mirrors that have the same mount type as the 6 Gen mount are shorter in length but have not read or heard anything on 8 Gen mirrors. I also have not confirmed whether the CBR mirrors are in fact shorter. You might look into other Honda models to see if their mirrors might work and possibly be a bit shorter. 

8th gen mirrors are totally different .

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, fink said:

8th gen mirrors are totally different .

Hence I said to check OTHER Honda models that might work with the 8 Gen. I wasn't suggesting the ones meant for the 6 Gen.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Hence I said to check OTHER Honda models that might work with the 8 Gen. I wasn't suggesting the ones meant for the 6 Gen.

Yes, I know what you meant. :smile:

• Member Contributer

Jeez, you're concerned about mirror width on the 8th Gen? You should try the 800X with its wide bars!

:goofy:

Seriously, I've heard of folk wanting to extend their mirrors outwards so they actually become useable to see behind but never of wanting to narrow them. Awareness of what is happening behind me is almost as important as what is happening in front of me, hence I get a rear view every 10-20 seconds or when needed. I can't do that if I constantly have to move my elbows in so the 800X is perfect for that and I have mirror extenders on the 1200F.

I filter (English for lane-splitting) every day on my commute and if I can't get through, I can't get through.

Best of luck with your search. :beer:

15 hours ago, fink said:

It's amazing what folk get up to in motorways besides filtering.

Blimey, how long had that been closed for!? I see some right twats on the M25 (more on the M40) but they tend not to get out and play tennis whenever traffic stops...

44 minutes ago, Skids said:

I filter (English for lane-splitting) every day on my commute and if I can't get through, I can't get through.

I just can't match that level of patience :wink:

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Katie said:

Blimey, how long had that been closed for!? I see some right twats on the M25 (more on the M40) but they tend not to get out and play tennis whenever traffic stops...

Had been for a while the full video from start of filtering lasts between 25 and 30 mins.   Some eejit in a range rover had parked it on top of the crash barrier nose into a bridge support.

There was a  game of football on the other side at one point.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Katie said:

I just can't match that level of patience :wink:

Neither can I normally but when it's an 18-wheeler and the driver eats a full English every meal with extra pie, I'm not going to argue when he says he wont move his truck 1 foot to the left so I can get through! :goofy:

Just occasionally, I have to sit and wait, but not often at all, despite very wide bars and wider mirrors. :beer:

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Skids said:

Neither can I normally but when it's an 18-wheeler and the driver eats a full English every meal with extra pie, I'm not going to argue when he says he wont move his truck 1 foot to the left so I can get through! :goofy:

Just occasionally, I have to sit and wait, but not often at all, despite very wide bars and wider mirrors. :beer:

It's usually when they are completing roadworks and they have narrowed the lanes ! :mad: WHY do artics (18 wheelers!) have to move to the middle lane and take up all the free space across 3 lanes.. Grr...

From what I have seen of the 8th gen (correct me if I am wrong) the mirrors are a bit wider than your elbows are. I know I'd rather clip a mirror than twat me elbows, body armour or not?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Woodie said:

the mirrors are a bit wider than your elbows are. I know I'd rather clip a mirror than twat me elbows, body armour or not?

Agreed, I've had a couple of times when a mirror has got flipped back by a car mirror

Archived