2014 VFR800. Any proven ways to get noticeably more power?

billyzoom2

• Member Contributer
48 minutes ago, HareBrain said:

It's 25% lighter than water? That's really bizarre!

Yeah that's why it floats on water, its not a chemical thing its a mass density thing !  same for oil.

Re the R6 test. PB ran a test when the new CBR600RR came out where they hid the bike from the riders & disguised it & made them get on blind folded. They used a track & most riders were faster on the CBR600F4i than on the new RR, but most wanted to own the new RR !  Go figure ;(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
On 19/08/2017 at 11:43 PM, fink said:

A bike magazine in the UK ??  Swapped cams on an R6 a few years ago so they produced a bit more torque mid range but were less in total Hp and compared it to a sets R6 model.   Surprise surprise 95% of those that took part in the experiment  preferred  the bike that " made more power" ,  which in actual fact made more torque in midrange than power in top end compared to the factory bike.    Which proves onthe other hand that most folk don't know what the fuck they are talking about. 

I was involved in that experiment, what they did was convert the latest new engine back to the previous model. This was quite an engineering feat as the architecture had changed, involved removing the cams, cutting them in half and re-joining them to change the phasing.

The upshot of it all was that most liked the modded bike as it ended up with more mid range than the previous model. Ran a bit rough below 30mph though.but that is no surprise considering what was done to it.

4 hours ago, HareBrain said:

It's 25% lighter than water? That's really bizarre!

IIRC, most (all?) flammable liquids float on and don't mix with water...

5 minutes ago, Samuelx said:

IIRC, most (all?) flammable liquids float on and don't mix with water...

You're right -- and if I'd thought about it, I would have realised that must be because they're less dense. But I never did think about it. Blame my arts background. 25% is a massive difference, though.

What a thread, love it.  smh with  a laugh too. You want more,  like how much?  the Ape Tuono might solve your need.  Gee, might have to re work it in the header build to include the 8th gen Hmmmm???

• Member Contributer
On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:22 PM, Rectaltronics said:

Well, having bicycle bits drilled full of neat little holes or made of unobtanium is worth tons of cred at the pizzeria or pub.  Been there, got the Dremel.  :wink:

But unless you're doing sprint races at the velodrome, the only time you really notice the weight savings is while carrying the bike.

On a motorcycle, saving weight up high like inside the gas tank, or in rotating mass like the wheels, makes big differences in flickability in track settings, or if you're trying to set a new record for the local "technical" roads.  But you have to shave a fookin' lot if you're expecting to feel it in the seat of your pants under acceleration.

Surely the greatest gain in the power to weight ratio on any machine, two wheels or four, leg powered or engine driven is for the greatest mass I.E. 'the loose nut behind the bars/wheel' to engage in some performance orientated weight loss.

:goofy:

just sayin.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Woodie said:

Surely the greatest gain in the power to weight ratio on any machine, two wheels or four, leg powered or engine driven is for the greatest mass I.E. 'the loose nut behind the bars/wheel' to engage in some performance orientated weight loss.

just sayin.

That fact will never change.  Was at a WERA race recently and really surprise at how hefty (overweight) some of the riders were.  Too many Big Macs and large fries.....  

13 hours ago, Woodie said:

just sayin.

So, ride squid/naked then?

Full ATGATT adds 8 kilo's according to my bathroom scales. I highly doubt I could loose 8kg from my lean & mean physique! :pinocchio:

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Audible said:

So, ride squid/naked then?

Full ATGATT adds 8 kilo's according to my bathroom scales. I highly doubt I could loose 8kg from my lean & mean physique! :pinocchio:

EEuuuwww.... mind bleach please.. 8 Kilo's? what's your gear made of?

4ILeQ7h.jpg

23 hours ago, Woodie said:

EEuuuwww.... mind bleach please.. 8 Kilo's? what's your gear made of?

The usual. It's winter atm where I am so a full textile winter jacket with back protector is probably 3kg on it's own, 1.5 for the Helmet, 0.5 for shin boots, another kilo for textile pants with armor. It add's up.

Try it yourself. Jump on the scales in your regular day wear then gear up and see how much extra you weigh in gear. You'd be surprised.

• Member Contributer
On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:08 AM, Audible said:

The usual. It's winter atm where I am so a full textile winter jacket with back protector is probably 3kg on it's own, 1.5 for the Helmet, 0.5 for shin boots, another kilo for textile pants with armor. It add's up.

Oh I don't deny it weighs 8Kg, that was tongue in cheek. As was the comment regarding losing weight from the "Loose nut behind the bars" but in my experience most of the "Weekend Warriors" who spend their time fitting titanium everything and discarding anything that might add weight and destroy their power to weight ratio, are the very people I speak of. T'aint no good losing 10Kg from the bike of the rider weighs 100kg/220lb

Also 8Kg for those of the "Lean and Mean Physique" (I include myself here 6' and 13.5 stone/190lb/85Kg) rises exponentially with the increase in girth of the controlling homo sapien. Surely all the extra material needed will increase the unladen mass atop those erstwhile Race Day Rockets..

main-qimg-2b251383398b8decf03670ca230eab54-c.jpg

Ah ok, I missed your tongue in cheek. :cool:

I usually loose 2-3 kilo's in Summer. I'm 5ft 8 and currently 77kg, usually 75kg in Summer so I'm not that much over ideal BMI. No, really, I'm not!

Archived