2014 VFR800. Any proven ways to get noticeably more power?

billyzoom2

• Member Contributer

Would have been severely tempted by a 1200  had it not been for its transformer looks and crap range. Mate had one and tricked it up,made a massive difference.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
9 hours ago, fink said:

Would have been severely tempted by a 1200  had it not been for its transformer looks and crap range. Mate had one and tricked it up,made a massive difference.

I love mine, especially after upgrading the suspension.

Tank range has never been an issue for me.

~150hp at the rear wheel is fun.  :beer:

The claimed power output from the many slip on exhausts out there varies a fair amount.

I've got the Akrapovic on mine which claims +3kw (4.1hp) and is one of the higher ones that I saw when researching, but it also happens to be one of the dearest slip ons.

https://www.akrapovic.com/#!/motorcycle/product/road/15112/documents?brandId=30&modelId=137&yearId=4067

Another way to increase "go" is the OEM quick shifter. Faster gear changes without having to blip the throttle equals quicker acceleration.

After that, the best way to go quicker on the VFR 800 is the kilo shave. Some people take the centre stand off which is apparently 2kg of weight and then use a paddock stand to lift the rear off the ground for chain maintenance.

Lithium ion battery is another 2-3kg shave. After that, best weight saving is to not fill the tank up to full.

1 hour ago, Audible said:

best weight saving is to not fill the tank up to full

Exactly -- 10kg saving by only filling it to halfway. But the fact that I can't really tell any difference in performance between a full tank and an almost empty one makes me wonder how beneficial any weight-saving scheme is in real life. (And this coming from someone who obsessed about it in his cycling days.)

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Skids said:

I love mine, especially after upgrading the suspension.

Tank range has never been an issue for me.

~150hp at the rear wheel is fun.  :beer:

You probably know who I'm talking about then esp if your on BO

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, fink said:

You probably know who I'm talking about then esp if your on BO

Used to be. I became one of the unwanted. Never felt the need to go back. :beer:

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:54 PM, lazyeye said:

I have a PC5 and Akrapovic exhaust. Its a bit faster on the gas than stock, but just a bit.

If you wanted to really dump money Cat/Emissions Delete, lighter muffler, Dyno Tune.

Really though you can't significantly improve the power/weight ratio on these bikes without chopping stuff off you might miss.

If you want more power sell it and get a CBR1000RR. *shrug*

I checked out your blog, and it's good reading.  I actually favorited it so I can work through it.  Nice job!

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, HareBrain said:

Exactly -- 10kg saving by only filling it to halfway. But the fact that I can't really tell any difference in performance between a full tank and an almost empty one makes me wonder how beneficial any weight-saving scheme is in real life. (And this coming from someone who obsessed about it in his cycling days.)

Well, having bicycle bits drilled full of neat little holes or made of unobtanium is worth tons of cred at the pizzeria or pub.  Been there, got the Dremel.  :wink:

But unless you're doing sprint races at the velodrome, the only time you really notice the weight savings is while carrying the bike.

On a motorcycle, saving weight up high like inside the gas tank, or in rotating mass like the wheels, makes big differences in flickability in track settings, or if you're trying to set a new record for the local "technical" roads.  But you have to shave a fookin' lot if you're expecting to feel it in the seat of your pants under acceleration.

Funny thing is, a lot of people who rely on the seats of their pants for a sense of power often misinterpret crappy torque curves for impressive power.

• Member Contributer
58 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

A big K&N sticker would help warn people behind you to watch out for oil slicks.

Only if your using an oil filter. 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

Well, having bicycle bits drilled full of neat little holes or made of unobtanium is worth tons of cred at the pizzeria or pub.  Been there, got the Dremel.  :wink:

But unless you're doing sprint races at the velodrome, the only time you really notice the weight savings is while carrying the bike.

On a motorcycle, saving weight up high like inside the gas tank, or in rotating mass like the wheels, makes big differences in flickability in track settings, or if you're trying to set a new record for the local "technical" roads.  But you have to shave a fookin' lot if you're expecting to feel it in the seat of your pants under acceleration.

Funny thing is, a lot of people who rely on the seats of their pants for a sense of power often misinterpret crappy torque curves for impressive power.

A bike magazine in the UK ??  Swapped cams on an R6 a few years ago so they produced a bit more torque mid range but were less in total Hp and compared it to a sets R6 model.   Surprise surprise 95% of those that took part in the experiment  preferred  the bike that " made more power" ,  which in actual fact made more torque in midrange than power in top end compared to the factory bike.    Which proves onthe other hand that most folk don't know what the fuck they are talking about. 

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, fink said:

A bike magazine in the UK ??  Swapped cams on an R6 a few years ago so they produced a bit more torque mid range but were less in total Hp and compared it to a sets R6 model.   Surprise surprise 95% of those that took part in the experiment  preferred  the bike that " made more power" ,  which in actual fact made more torque in midrange than power in top end compared to the factory bike.    Which proves onthe other hand that most folk don't know what the fuck they are talking about. 

The ol' "butt dyno" will tend to validate any bias the rider has.

1 hour ago, Tews19 said:

So no sticker upgrades to improve HP? 

That's a given!  Stickers make your bike faster and help keep it together in a crash!

Of course, the kind of stickers you put on will also matter - e.g. a Suzuki sticker on a VFR will make it sad and run slower but an HRC sticker will automatically add 25hp and 10ftlbs.  :D

• Member Contributer
54 minutes ago, fink said:

Not a huge shock.  Folks feel rate of acceleration change more than acceleration itself.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Tews19 said:

So no sticker upgrades to improve HP? 

Oh yeah - my "VFR" stickers added approximately 5 hp apiece!  However, only Shell V-Power gasoline lets me unleash this hidden power as it's specially formulated for V-type engines.  My butt dyno was manufactured by Rectaltronics so it should be extremely accurate :tongue:

IMG_1230.JPG

• Member Contributer

A bike mag dyno tested 3 different bikes with, regular, super (higher octane) and "V-power".

No discernable increases were recorded to justify any premium in price.

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

A bike mag dyno tested 3 different bikes with, regular, super (higher octane) and "V-power".

I think he was kidding, but you're right. Whatever octane the bike is designed for is best. To run anything but regular on the VFR is a waste of money.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

Yeah but none of those bikes had a V-type engine so obviously the V-Power fuel would be of no benefit, duh! :tongue:

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, thtanner said:

I think he was kidding, but you're right. Whatever octane the bike is designed for is best. To run anything but regular on the VFR is a waste of money.

I felt and heard a tangible difference at low RPMs on my 8th Gen.

Your Mileage May Vary.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, HareBrain said:

Except that Gasoline has a weight of 755 grams per Litre. So filling up the tank half way only saves 7.5 kilo's.

You can notice the difference between empty and full petrol tanks when your chucking the VFR around in the corners. it's a lot more flickable when on empty.

Archived