2014 VFR800. Any proven ways to get noticeably more power?

billyzoom2

I'd like to get more power and torque from my 2014 VFR800.  I have a Two Brothers slip-on exhaust on the way, and supposedly that will increase things a bit.  Ideally though, I'd like maybe 10-15 more horses than stock, and more midrange/upper midrange in particular.

It's not critical enough to want to drop a ton of cash, but are there any more options that can provide a noticeable boost to liven up the engine, without spending more than, say, 1K?

Thanks for any feedback.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The elusive extra hp.

You can fiddle, farkle, mod and spend a lot and get very little extra.

Have you considered increasing the power-to-weight ratio by decreasing the weight?

Otherwise, this is just an 800 and without nitrous or a supercharger, you're not going to get a whole heap extra without spending $$$ and a lot of time.

Best of luck though.  :beer:

Unleash the full factory potential!! You missed the recent, exhaustive grand debate then?

More than about 5HP, not without a blower, major bucks and extensive mods.

You can slowly pick away at heavier components to increase the power : weight ratio, starting with the OEM exhaust.

• Member Contributer

My Delkevic mini carbon slip on added 2.96 peak hp and cut just over 7 pounds compared to stock.  NZCam's tail tidy (get one while you can!) shaved about another pound.  I read somewhere that you gain the equivalent of an extra hp for every X pounds of weight you cut but I can't remember what the "X" is - anyone remember?  I think that's pretty good for about $300 and my butt dyno tells me the bike has a bit more power.   But I would have spent the money anyway just to get the better looks and sound regardless of actual power gains.  To get your desired 10-15 hp I'm afraid it will cost a lot more.  Good luck.

Yes drop the stock muffler, that thing is a brick. Being I weigh about 155 I can out run you folks who weigh 200 pretty easily. Since bikes don't have near the emission crap that cars have there is not alot of HP left to get from say a tune. But if you drop the cat I'm sure you could gain a few HP.

• Member Contributer

There is no easy or cheap way to add 10-15hp to the machine.

Reworked exhaust (cat delete, o2 sensor removal, etc) RapidBike Racing module, and custom tune would be the starting point. By that stage your 2 grand into it, and you might not even see the desired result.

#1 suggestion is exhaust. Spend $400 there. You get a few proven hp, and a smoother VTEC transition. Outside of that the quest for power is expensive and unreliable.

I say enjoy the bike for what it is. If you want need power, a Ninja 1000 may be a better sport touring option.

• Member Contributer

There is no cheap way to do it. I added 25hp to my 5th gen up from stock 95 to 120 now. It took a lot of trial and error, but in the end it's cams, a complete exhaust, my own intake mods, plus a fuel tuning system, Rapid Bike or Powercommander. That little lot new will set you back about $2K. I have about $6K in mine with carbon wheels & lots of Titanium & carbon which has knocked 33Kg out of the dry weight of the bike which is now 177Kg. Search for my mods threads.

YMMV

• Member Contributer

I have a PC5 and Akrapovic exhaust. Its a bit faster on the gas than stock, but just a bit.

If you wanted to really dump money Cat/Emissions Delete, lighter muffler, Dyno Tune.

Really though you can't significantly improve the power/weight ratio on these bikes without chopping stuff off you might miss.

If you want more power sell it and get a CBR1000RR. *shrug*

• Member Contributer

Start throwing $$$$$$ at it in an attempt to lighten it.   Loose a few pounds yourself.  

Honestly speaking, how how much of your riding time is spent over 9 k revs? 

I figured as much.

I weigh about 170 max, and I already cut 6 pounds with the TwoBros slip-on.  Maybe I'll go with a Shorai battery (save some more weight and make some space) and call it a day. I suppose my power to weight ratio for this bike is pretty good, thanks to my praying mantis physique. Thanks, folks.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, billyzoom2 said:

I figured as much.

I weigh about 170 max, and I already cut 6 pounds with the TwoBros slip-on.  Maybe I'll go with a Shorai battery (save some more weight and make some space) and call it a day. I suppose my power to weight ratio for this bike is pretty good, thanks to my praying mantis physique. Thanks, folks.

One other route is -if still need- advanced riding/cornering training if riding fast is what you are after.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VifferJ said:

Is anyone on here changing the gearing? If so, how did that work out and how many teeth did you go with?

Stock on the 5th gen is 17/43, I have used 16/43 & 16/42, but now using 16/45  its much peppier out of the corners & it doesn't add that many extra revs or fuel consumption. It's effective in every gear, as the engine is running more freely at all times, so accelerates hard with a twist of the wrist :)

YMMV  (literally this time) but I still get 180miles to the tank.

Cheap mod:

Drop 1 tooth count on the front sprocket.  It will accelerate faster up to the redline in all gears.  The engine will rev higher at the same speed so it will sound faster.  

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

One other route is -if still need- advanced riding/cornering training if riding fast is what you are after.

Agreed, have embarrassed many a sports bike owner on my old Pan. 

12 hours ago, Mohawk said:

There is no cheap way to do it. I added 25hp to my 5th gen up from stock 95 to 120 now. It took a lot of trial and error, but in the end it's cams, a complete exhaust, my own intake mods, plus a fuel tuning system, Rapid Bike or Powercommander. That little lot new will set you back about $2K. I have about $6K in mine with carbon wheels & lots of Titanium & carbon which has knocked 33Kg out of the dry weight of the bike which is now 177Kg. Search for my mods threads.

YMMV

that is brilliant for a fully faired bike. My fighter is 185 wet. And a safe assumption that it has less power.

Unleash the full factory potential!! You missed the recent, exhaustive grand debate then?

More than about 5HP, not without a blower, major bucks and extensive mods.

You can slowly pick away at heavier components to increase the power : weight ratio, starting with the OEM exhaust.

Also drop one tooth off the front sprocket and the bike will feel livelier.

These are the simplest, cheapest and most noticeable ways towards your goal.

• Member Contributer

Use gasoline as fuel if you can get it where you live.  I use it most of the time.   It makes a very noticeable difference in power to me.   Also, just an opinion, until you've reached the limits of the bike's ability through rider skill, you don't need more power.  As other's have said, I don't think significant power is there to be had without doing something radical that increases engine destruction risk significantly.  This topic has been discussed here and elsewhere for years.     

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, VifferJ said:

Is anyone on here changing the gearing? If so, how did that work out and how many teeth did you go with?

Gearing change in the final drive is the best way to get the most out of what you have. My 5th gen is considerably lighter than stock. Previous owner went to town on it. Feels faster with PCV and full 2 Bros exhaust. But i am 225lbs and gearing it down -1 front sprocket and possibly +1 in back from stock is the first thing i plan on doing. It has aluminum rear sprocket which i may or may not replace with steel. Will stick with 520 conversion too. All together it does make for a noticable increase increase in the bikes power performance and feel.

4 hours ago, rckrzy1 said:

problem there is the weight of  a shaftie plus drive train loss of shaftie is higher.

The 1200 only weighs about 50 lbs more than the 8th gen...still under 600.  And with 172 hp on tap, you would never notice any power loss from the shaft drive...and no chain maintenance!

I may still end up with a 1200 some day.

Archived