6'1 250 Guy... Handle bar mods

L140firemedic

Question

OK folks,

I'm 6'1 255 guy looking at an 2014 VFR 800.  I totally love the design and it would be my VERY FIRST street bike.  I've been a Harley guy for about 15 years and want to add a sport/street bike to my garage.  I love the bike but the seating position is a little leaned over.  I have looked and found Handle bar risers. 

Question #1 -  Am I too big for the VFR800 Engine?

Question #2  Has anyone installed the Motopump Handlebar risers and do you think will help the ergonomics or am I just to big for this bike?  I will try to add a picture once it uploads to my desktop.  I have Kik for faster communication if anyone has suggestions.  My screen name is - Feuerd615

9 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Well, you did ask.....

You are not to big for the engine, it will propel you still. But at your height, you are probably 50-60 pounds too big for this to be healthy. A bmi of 34 is not good, it is classed as obese.

• Member Contributer

BMI is essentially meaningless as it does not take skeletal structure or muscle mass into account.

Like the OP, I am 6'1 and often hover around 250 lbs.

Having three VFRs, I can say with certainty that both the engine and the suspension perform perfectly well for a rider of that size.

I happen to prefer a more leaned-over riding position, but I have taller friends who swear by both heli-bars and lsl risers.

• Member Contributer

6'2 and 250, I don't feel the need for risers. Keeping in shape is what keeps me from getting sore, not taller handlebars.

I'm not sure what you're expecting. Too big for the bike? How? I sold my 6th gen to a kid who was 6'7...

Edit: Note I actually do own the OEM risers, but they are not installed. I am considering fitting them if I do a several-day trip that is mostly freeway (let's face it, 6+ hours of strait freeway is uncomfortable no matter what, and anything helps.) For my day trips though, I don't think I will ever put them on. 

Also, I am not sure if the adjustable seat was mentioned. That will affect lean a bit as the lower setting will have you more strait up and down, just more knee bend.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, ECX585 said:

BMI is essentially meaningless as it does not take skeletal structure or muscle mass into account.

Like the OP, I am 6'1 and often hover around 250 lbs.

Having three VFRs, I can say with certainty that both the engine and the suspension perform perfectly well for a rider of that size.

I happen to prefer a more leaned-over riding position, but I have taller friends who swear by both heli-bars and lsl risers.

Sure pal, your waist circumference is????  No cheating! :goofy:

firemedic, go test ride her for an hour and you know is she is for you or not.

6.1 myself, I rode a 6th gen for a week up and down the Dragon, Blue Ridge etc. No issues size wise.

If you want torture rack.... (but LOVE the pain..)

58973765d0958_IMG-20170205-WA0000(2).jpg.733d19234b293ae9e22214d4a812ef42.jpg.934ffa6327347c788724c7ef8c4d1f55.jpg

• Member Contributer

Start with the VIN sticker... VFR800 GVWR is 950 lb... subtract the
bikes wet weight of 540 lb (depending on model) that leaves the
maximum load capacity of 410 lb... technically speaking your weight is
not a problem for a Honda VFR...

Put it this way. I'm 6FT7 240lbs, I just did a 2000km trip through British Columbia on my 2014 VFR and it is the best bike I've ever owned. Not one day was I sore or cramped or feeling a lack of power from the bike. And I was getting about 470km to a full tank. You'll love it. It's definitely a unique bike.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Sure pal, your waist circumference is????  No cheating! :goofy:

firemedic, go test ride her for an hour and you know is she is for you or not.

6.1 myself, I rode a 6th gen for a week up and down the Dragon, Blue Ridge etc. No issues size wise.

If you want torture rack.... (but LOVE the pain..)

58973765d0958_IMG-20170205-WA0000(2).jpg.733d19234b293ae9e22214d4a812ef42.jpg.934ffa6327347c788724c7ef8c4d1f55.jpg

Don't get me wrong...I'm a porker at the moment, but at 250#, my physician (and hiking buddies) will tell you that all of my numbers are great--despite the waist size.

There are plenty of 6'1 250ish guys around who are in quite good shape.

• Member Contributer

In the end, it is all a numbers game we choose to play or not.  Dropping say 25 pounds (and still enjoing good food and drink) will up power/weight ratio of our bikes and less fat encapsulating organs, dropping risk of illness.

And then an oncoming cager takes a sharp left turn. It is all numbers.... :tongue:

Not picking argument here, and with most of you not knowing me from Adam, my advice is free and freely ignored :-)

This should even pull Fat Bastard from Austin Powers :goofy:

IMAG8125.thumb.jpg.4ad7f9a4a5802198e8c4a9b8d74a3076.jpg

Archived