2 third gen issues in one day, wow

I was working on my one 3rd gen today (trading it even up for the fourth gen I sold a month or so ago) when the fuel gauge indicator wires caught fire...I mean quick too. It was while the bike was running and the wires got orange hot in no time.  Luckily, I got the tank off it in time to prevent further damage, I think....Of course now I have no spark and I think the pick up coil took a dump...it's not the ecu or fuel pump relay or anything else that I could quickly look at.

Then, as I am swapping parts on to the bike I'm trading (it was in better shape, and I'm not about to screw someone over) I get that bike up and running after a calamity of errors and the r/r all but catches on fire! wtf?!

So, I know I need 2 r/rs. My question is this, when I get the vfrness and new r/rs, is there anything else I need to do?  It's been a hot minute since I've had to do one. The junction where it connects to the r/r is pretty cooked.  I have a 4th gen harness I'm using as a donor and I can use that one if needed. 

• Member Contributer

It's odd that the fuse for the fuel gauge indicator circuit didn't blow.  Check that the fuses have the correct ratings (mainly 10A, IIRC) and haven't been "upgraded" to deal with the bike's unfortunate electrical issues...

Ciao,

Archived