New front pads, draging... normal?

Sarli

2003 VTEC, I just changed the front brake pads myself. It seems to stop fine, but the front wheel is not spinning freely -- the rotors are scraping the new pads. I can spin it by hand and hear/feel the friction. Yes, I used the shop manual to do it, and pushing those 3 pistons back was hard.

***Is that normal? expected? ***

Your experience is welcome, please.

(No, I'll not add WD40 to fix the friction issue, as my 8year old suggested.)

• Member Contributer

The single sided sliding calipers are notorious for drag. Did you compare the before & after ?

Pushing pistons back is a bad idea, much better to remove the pads from one caliper at a time & pump the pistons out a bit. You will see if any are sticky by watching how they react to each lever pull, they should all move together & retract a bit when the pressure is released.

If they all act well, now they are out, clean the visible area of the pistons, then open the bleed nipple with a drain hose attached, then push the pistons back, it should only take a gentle pressure, as the old fluid is expelled. If they are stiff, then they need stripped & cleaned, generally if you have used up a complete set of pads they will need stripped & cleaned. It's pointless skimping on this exercise, or you will end up with dragging pads, which will warp the discs. Remember to top up the reservoir as you pump out the next caliper.

Have fun.

Archived