Universal switchgear

Katie

Looking at swapping out my current switchgear (personal preference - I can't bear the reversed switch locations!) and wondered whether anyone had tried a universal switchgear of some kind?

Ebay prices range from silly cheap (less than £9 for both sides! :blink: ) to £60 for a KS switchgear but it would be good know if anyone had tried it before I take the bike to bits :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Kinda hard to do on 8th gen as it has extra wires for the turn signal cancel.  Apart from that it would be as a std  switch gear. 

Since you posted about that a few weeks ago, I've had three or four occasions where I wanted to use the horn, but hit the signal cancel instead. I'm thinking about doing the same, but I don't have auto-cancelling signals to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have this problem going from Honda to Aprilia or back. The buttons are reversed.

Only takes a few miles to get used to it. :wink:

10 hours ago, fink said:

Kinda hard to do on 8th gen as it has extra wires for the turn signal cancel.  Apart from that it would be as a std  switch gear. 

Well, as I've already disabled my self-cancellers that should make life easier :)

9 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

I only have this problem going from Honda to Aprilia or back. The buttons are reversed.

Only takes a few miles to get used to it. :wink:

ABS? Great, every bike should have it

Traction control? Crude but helpful

Reversed horn and indicators? 12000 miles so far and nope, still don't like it! Utterly pointless idea, created by the same level of egotistical nonsense that forces Arai to put their sun visors on the outside (ie the boss doesn't like the way everyone else does it so insists on forming company policy based solely on their own preference! :mad: )

Not that it annoys me or anything... :wink:

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, Auspanglish said:

Couldn't you just use a 6th gen one?

Ditto :unsure:

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, Katie said:

Sounds good. Had they done away with the choke by that stage?

Mine has no choke.

Well firstly we need to ascertain that the location where it mounts on to the Handlebar is the same diameter from the 6th gen to the 8th gen, which a pragmatic mind would think would be the same... but the very reason you are changing the switch pod is precisely because of the lack of pragmatism in Honda's ranks. Then a quick look at a wiring diagram might help to ascertain whether or not it has all the functional parts you will need: high and low beam, horn & indicator on the 6th gen I don't know what else you might have on the 8th gen (you've deactivated the automatic turn signal cancelling circuit). Then we will need to swap out the Pod side connector housing if it is different to the 8th gen bike side connector, which I imagine it is and in which case we can reutilize the Pod side half of the connector from the original switch pod... but once again if pragmatism goes astray we might find ourselves with the female and male terminals around the other way from one gen to the next, so some soldering and some new terminals would be needed for either end of the wires, just one end, whichever side takes your fancy, but I would attack the pod side and leave the bike side in original condition.

7 minutes ago, Auspanglish said:

Well firstly we need to ascertain that the location where it mounts on to the Handlebar is the same diameter from the 6th gen to the 8th gen, which a pragmatic mind would think would be the same... but the very reason you are changing the switch pod is precisely because of the lack of pragmatism in Honda's ranks. Then a quick look at a wiring diagram might help to ascertain whether or not it has all the functional parts you will need: high and low beam, horn & indicator on the 6th gen I don't know what else you might have on the 8th gen (you've deactivated the automatic turn signal cancelling circuit). Then we will need to swap out the Pod side connector housing if it is different to the 8th gen bike side connector, which I imagine it is and in which case we can reutilize the Pod side half of the connector from the original switch pod... but once again if pragmatism goes astray we might find ourselves with the female and male terminals around the other way from one gen to the next, so some soldering and some new terminals would be needed for either end of the wires, just one end, whichever side takes your fancy, but I would attack the pod side and leave the bike side in original condition.

All sounds realistic! Working on the principle of making any alterations to the replacement switchgear. That way, if I bugger it up, I can put the original back in :)

6 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

You must really hate it to go to so much trouble. :sleep:

You know how it is, sometimes you really need to get someones attention to get them to move...

Bikes.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hey Katie - keep in touch on your work for this. Maybe photos and all. I know if I bought an 8th gen, I would do the same.

• Member Contributer

Not criticising, just observing. I don't even think about the horn/indicators switch positions now, it's a totally subconscious action. 

I hope you can sort this to your satisfaction without too much hassle/expense and a record of it on here will definitely help others.  :beer:

I was going to ask about disabling the indicators but my 800X has decided of its own accord to stop cancelling them, except the end-of-turn facility. Woooohooooo  :cheerleader:

45 minutes ago, Skids said:

Not criticising, just observing. I don't even think about the horn/indicators switch positions now, it's a totally subconscious action. 

I hope you can sort this to your satisfaction without too much hassle/expense and a record of it on here will definitely help others.  :beer:

I was going to ask about disabling the indicators but my 800X has decided of its own accord to stop cancelling them, except the end-of-turn facility. Woooohooooo  :cheerleader:

Lucky chap :cheerleader: If it decides to re-start again, the disabling thing is very easy (coming from someone who hasn't the faintest idea how to read a wiring diagram!)

Have decided that my first step is going to be to unplug the existing switchgear in situ and plug the replacement in (if the plugs are the same size) and test it that way. I can't think of any reason for Honda to have changed the whole wiring set up around just because the buttons are reversed as that would just make life more complicated for all concerned to no purpose

What? Oh, yes, I see... :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, Katie said:

Lucky chap :cheerleader: If it decides to re-start again, the disabling thing is very easy (coming from someone who hasn't the faintest idea how to read a wiring diagram!)

Sadly, mine is an 800X and the wiring is somewhat different from the 800F and I have struggled to confirm the exact identity of the correct wires to cut. Hopefully, the "intelligence circuit" will continue to operate. :beer:

I hope you get this working Katie as I hate the new horn position.  I have to move my hand away from the grip to operate the horn which is nearly impossible to when you are in trouble and need it in a hurry.  I view this as a major safety concern - what where Honda thinking.  If it's a doable job then I'll be following suit.

• Member Contributer

Katie,

Do you have a set of switchgear yet. I currently have a "lorry Modified" 6th Gen VTEC sitting in the garage I can rob the L/H switchgear off if you want to borrow it.

11 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Katie,

Do you have a set of switchgear yet. I currently have a "lorry Modified" 6th Gen VTEC sitting in the garage I can rob the L/H switchgear off if you want to borrow it.

Don't you just love those custom jobs? :unsure:

Thanks Woodie but I grabbed one off Ebay. Seems to be in good nick so hopeful it will work (even if the mod doesn't!). Hang on to yours - if this works it will be worth a fortune!

Archived