PRB 4th Annual Fall Ride

• Member Contributer

Hope I'm not stepping out of line, but thought I would post this since there isn't anything on VFRD about Ben's Fall Ride although it is on the Facebook group.

Sept 28- Oct 2, Thurs - Mon
Ride Fri Sat Sun official.
Econo Lodge
1420 N Main St
Marion VA 24354
276-783-6031
Manager is Will.
$62 per night.

• Member Contributer

same here just trying to work out the details of the trip, taking 10 days off, going to ride past to the dragon for Mon-Thursday then back to VA, for the meet up, will have to leave Sunday to do a iron butt back to VT and sleep it off Monday.

that's my plan anyways we will see if it happens, just ordered a new set of tires today hopefully they wont be worn out by then

thanks for the heads up

3D

dakota

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-Fall Ride ride - the Tri-state Tri-snake 250 (x3)

I hesitate to use the word "organized" to talk about this endeavor as it is a very casually put together three day, two night tour Sweeper, RDMcD and some other guys are going to do in the early part of the week before the Fall Ride this year.  Thinking that perhaps others may wish to run their own route or own pace and would like to share a frosty cold one at a common hotel parking lot - like we all do during the Spring and (now) Fall Ride.  To that end, here is one guys take on a three day tour through the Northern section of North Carolina, and bits of TN and VA.  This route keeps the riding time to around 6.5 to 7.0 Google Map hours per day and total around the 250-ish mile mark each day.    

I've put together an itinerary in the docx file (attached below) for the inaugural, twice-a-year "Tri-State Tri-Snake" (Two Snakes and parts of a Dragons Back really) as well as Garmin gbd files for those who may want to trial/modify/extend/recommend or otherwise use.  The Waynvesville and Little Switzerland hotels are available with lots of vacancy for the days there (is that a good thing?  Hmmm.  Usually, 'good' places are booked up far in advance of planning at this late date.  Oh well, we'll see what it's like and plan accordingly for next time.)

- if you do have some recommends on alternate or other favourite roads not covered here - would be very interested, so please feel free to add, alter or comment on the route.

My apologies ahead of time for the size of the docx document but Word doesn't like the size of my map pics.

Tri-State Tri Snake 250.docx

Tri-Snake Day 1 - 244 miles 6 hrs 21 mins.gdb

Tri-Snake Day 2 - 264 miles 6 hrs 5 mins.gdb

Tri-Snake Day 3 - 263 miles 7 hrs 08 mins.gdb

• Member Contributer

I'm in.  Has anybody already made reservations for the PRE ride who needs a roommate? 

On 8/13/2017 at 7:56 PM, 3dcycle said:

same here just trying to work out the details of the trip, taking 10 days off, going to ride past to the dragon for Mon-Thursday then back to VA, for the meet up, will have to leave Sunday to do a iron butt back to VT and sleep it off Monday.

that's my plan anyways we will see if it happens, just ordered a new set of tires today hopefully they wont be worn out by then

thanks for the heads up

3D

dakota

Check out VFRpwr's post above. The three day tour is on some of the best roads in the area. If you can't join in, you might want to check his maps.

• Member Contributer
On 9/1/2017 at 7:52 PM, 007 said:

I'm in.  Has anybody already made reservations for the PRE ride who needs a roommate? 

Bueller?

2 hours ago, Sweeper said:

Two weeks out for departure to the Tri State Three Snake!  Can you feel it?

Heck Ya!  I am having a hard time waiting.  Am counting down the days.  

Had a ride with NorthernVFRDave today and even though it was a great Ontario ride it just whet the appetite for NC/VA/TN.  

Two weeks is too long.

As the comedian Greg Hann says, "Thursday starts the weekend!"

Rick and I will have a cold, refreshing beverage for you when you arrive Sunday.  Or we will still be out riding!

As the comedian Greg Hann says, "Thursday starts the weekend!"
Rick and I will have a cold, refreshing beverage for you when you arrive Sunday.  Or we will still be out riding!

I may see you on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/21/2017 at 7:07 PM, 3dcycle said:

hey guys, schedule got screwed up. not going to be able to make it :mad:

Bummer! Looks like its going to be a good turnout and great weather. So good that I'm heading out in the morning!:cheerleader:

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Sweeper said:

Bummer! Looks like its going to be a good turnout and great weather. So good that I'm heading out in the morning!:cheerleader:

Sweet.  I plan to ride out Sunday and will be in Marion that night to join you mature hooligans.  Is TheGirl staying with us?

• Member Contributer

Ya'll have fun and be safe! I may pass some of you on the road today, heading in the opposite direction.  I'll be traveling from Roanoke back to Tennessee with my new titanium connecting rod!

Great turn out for the Fall Ride.  Bob picked a stellar week for it.  18 riders at last count (+/-).  Pictures to follow.

Some tires were harmed during the riding of this event.   Sweeper literally rode his to their end.

I made it home safely. Unfortunately it was on Friday. Tire management boys and girls. I behaved badly. My reward was to drive in beach bound traffic for eight hours on Saturday.  Back home tonight. I have spent at least eight hours on the road for each of the last eight days. Ride report tomorrow?

Hope the rest of you are home safe. 

I did see on VFRD FB that there were no awards and no offs!

IMG_4500.JPG

The view from the helm of the Creeper Van.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Sweeper said:

I did see on VFRD FB that there were no awards and no offs!

I think Corner Carver may have dropped his in the parking lot somewhere, but that was just a rumor.  You know how those boys are.

• Member Contributer

glad fun was had by all, turns out it was a blessing I did not make the ride down, electrical issues bit me first couple of days off, glad I was not half way to Tennessee. but after talking with candyred I was back up and enjoying what time I had left off.  

15 hours ago, 007 said:

I think Corner Carver may have dropped his in the parking lot somewhere, but that was just a rumor.  You know how those boys are.

Carvers don't count.

Archived