My VFR 800 FI 1998 starts only when on the side-stand

RANCAP

Dear colleagues,
My old 1998 VFR 800 FI, does not start if it is on normal vertical position. Engine starts only when the bike lays down on the side stand (thus bended on the left side). However, when the engine is operating on the side stand, it stops if I either change the beam position from low to high, or if I activate one or the other right or left side direction indicator. Same when I try to raise the motorbike up from the side stand position to the normal vertical position. The engine stops. It seems to be a ground issue. Have you guys experienced such kind of incident? any advises to share?

Thanks. Alain

Thank you so much Auspanglish. Done! there was a short circuiting in the common ground connector. During my first inspection yesterday, I did not remove the  pins since it looked OK. Following your recommendation, I removed the pins and observed the small short circuiting. Not really melted but burnt enough to create troubles. I coated the damaged pin with pewter. It works fine now. FYI, this is a VFR 800 FI 1998 model. Never got any electrical issues till this year (19 years old). I had to replace both front light bulb female holders (completely burnt), to weld R&R wires since the holder was completely burnt as well. Nothing else. and I ride everyday in Saudi Arabia even when temperature reaches 125 F (51oC).

Thanks again 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, RANCAP said:

and I ride everyday in Saudi Arabia even when temperature reaches 125 F (51oC).

Thanks again 

Picture or it didnot happen!!!!!   :goofy:

I'm pretty sure riding in those temps is like being in a giant convection oven.

Thanks God for AC, and I am staying inside as much as possible, even at 95 or 100. :wacko:

Thank you so much Auspanglish. Done! there was a short circuiting in the common ground connector. During my first inspection yesterday, I did not remove the  pins since it looked OK. Following your recommendation, I removed the pins and observed the small short circuiting. Not really melted but burnt enough to create troubles. I coated the damaged pin with pewter. It works fine now. FYI, this is a VFR 800 FI 1998 model. Never got any electrical issues till this year (19 years old). I had to replace both front light bulb female holders (completely burnt), to weld R&R wires since the holder was completely burnt as well. Nothing else. and I ride everyday in Saudi Arabia even when temperature reaches 125 F (51oC).
Thanks again 

You are more than welcome sir!!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Picture or it didnot happen!!!!!   :goofy:

6 hours ago, RANCAP said:

I ride everyday in Saudi Arabia even when temperature reaches 125 F (51oC).

According to all the people who complain their VFR runs hot, RANCAP's bike should be a small puddle of melted metal at that temperature!

• Member Contributer

I'd imagine RANDCAP would be the melted puddle! Being conditioned to the occasional below 0F temps, I'm quite sure my brain could not function at thows temps. Especially in a helmet! We here Up North can add clothes and heated gear. I'm pretty sure I could not take my skin off in those temps, although I'd probably want to. :)

Archived