Factory Panniers with after market top case?

joepopp

• Member Contributer

Mine did not buff out very well............  :tongue:

P8151121.thumb.JPG.1db7408bdf3ba60aacccef0073a180b7.JPG

But then again, already had a pre-condition....

P8141116.thumb.JPG.241c80df95f667943bb3b6519c6d1893.JPG

Each city (even Dagauvpils) has its Johny Cash, walking on an 8AM Sunday morning sidewalk, to help me right redslut on a deserted petrol station...

Morale of this, you WILL scratch your cases at some point/level in the future. donot worry about it.

But they do make for excellent frame sliders...  (admittedly, up to a point...)

On 11/08/2017 at 11:32 PM, fink said:

Katie had a givi rack fail with her. Haven't heard how she got on with claim

That's me! Erm, yes, I updated on the UK site before it disappeared.

Givi accepted no blame for the cracked arms but did exchange the rack. I usually rate Givi racks but it really wasn't up to the job this time. Would say I just had a bad one but I'm not the first so I'm not willing to stick the replacement on. As it took a while to sort I bought a VFR1200 rack to go on (I was off to France for a tour) and am very glad I did. The OEM version is much more solid and stable, even with my Kappa megabox on :wink:. Unexpected bonus was that the OEM version tips the box further up so the lid stays open when I'm trying to put stuff in it :happy:

• Member Contributer

got yourself a wee mirror on the inside of the top lid now?  :tongue:

26 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

got yourself a wee mirror on the inside of the top lid now?  :tongue:

No need. I've already got two make-up mirrors on the bike :wink:

• 5 months later...
On 21/08/2017 at 1:09 PM, Katie said:

That's me! Erm, yes, I updated on the UK site before it disappeared.

Givi accepted no blame for the cracked arms but did exchange the rack. I usually rate Givi racks but it really wasn't up to the job this time. Would say I just had a bad one but I'm not the first so I'm not willing to stick the replacement on. As it took a while to sort I bought a VFR1200 rack to go on (I was off to France for a tour) and am very glad I did. The OEM version is much more solid and stable, even with my Kappa megabox on :wink:. Unexpected bonus was that the OEM version tips the box further up so the lid stays open when I'm trying to put stuff in it :happy:

Oh, I’ve just fitted a Givi rack and Givi Maxia 52 topbox, which I load up pretty heavily, so now I’m a little concerned.

Would I be better off in your opinion junking the Givi rack and getting the Honda rack and fitting a Givi top-plate to it. Will this work?

If so, I note you mention the VFR1200 rack. Why not the VFR800 rack?

Cheers

Jack

45 minutes ago, Fazerboy said:

Oh, I’ve just fitted a Givi rack and Givi Maxia 52 topbox, which I load up pretty heavily, so now I’m a little concerned.

Would I be better off in your opinion junking the Givi rack and getting the Honda rack and fitting a Givi top-plate to it. Will this work?

If so, I note you mention the VFR1200 rack. Why not the VFR800 rack?

Cheers

Jack

Not everyone had a problem so I'd say, seeing as you've already bought the gear, use it and see how you get on. Just check it out once in a while for any damage. It's your call but no point spending more than you have to*

As Fink says, the rack is the same for both bikes. I didn't know for sure when I bought mine but got lucky for once!

*please note, this advice does not apply to any other form of shopping...

1 hour ago, Katie said:

Not everyone had a problem so I'd say, seeing as you've already bought the gear, use it and see how you get on. Just check it out once in a while for any damage. It's your call but no point spending more than you have to*

As Fink says, the rack is the same for both bikes. I didn't know for sure when I bought mine but got lucky for once!

Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye on it. Which part of the rack failed?

I've only just bought my brand-new VFR and joined here. I've also followed your thread about changing the left-hand switchgear and I'd love to do that as I really hate the horn and indicator set-up. Probably going to do the mod to the self-cancelling indicators (although I'm very nervous about cutting wires on a new bike!).

*All my motorcycle-related spending is done with Bitcoin which I bought on day 1 and is now worth zillions so cost is totally irrelevant.

Jack

PS. You don't happen to be going to the MCN show at the Excel this weekend do you? If you are I'd like to have a look at the switchgear you've fitted.

7 hours ago, Fazerboy said:

Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye on it. Which part of the rack failed?

I've only just bought my brand-new VFR and joined here. I've also followed your thread about changing the left-hand switchgear and I'd love to do that as I really hate the horn and indicator set-up. Probably going to do the mod to the self-cancelling indicators (although I'm very nervous about cutting wires on a new bike!).

*All my motorcycle-related spending is done with Bitcoin which I bought on day 1 and is now worth zillions so cost is totally irrelevant.

Jack

PS. You don't happen to be going to the MCN show at the Excel this weekend do you? If you are I'd like to have a look at the switchgear you've fitted.

The rack broke where the handle bolts through. There is an inner core which survived so it won't (shouldn't!) just fall in half but it wasn't strong enough to continue using it.

The self-cancelling mod is the easy one, you don't even need to cut the wire. Just pull it out and tape it up (oooerr and all that). The switchgear is fiddlier but works as effectively. Lots of helpful advice both here and on the VFR oracle site.

No go for the Excel for me but have fun spending the bitcoin gazillions (assuming the market hasn't reversed by the weekend and they are now only worth a can of diet coke  :wink: )

WP_20170602_10_29_54_Pro.jpg

2 hours ago, Katie said:

The rack broke where the handle bolts through. There is an inner core which survived so it won't (shouldn't!) just fall in half but it wasn't strong enough to continue using it.

The self-cancelling mod is the easy one, you don't even need to cut the wire. Just pull it out and tape it up (oooerr and all that). The switchgear is fiddlier but works as effectively. Lots of helpful advice both here and on the VFR oracle site.

No go for the Excel for me but have fun spending the bitcoin gazillions (assuming the market hasn't reversed by the weekend and they are now only worth a can of diet coke  :wink: )

WP_20170602_10_29_54_Pro.jpg

Thanks for the pic - I’ll keep an eye on that.

16 hours ago, Katie said:

I presume you’ve fixed a Givi adaptor plate to the Honda rack. Is that all working fine?Do you happen to have a pic of that please?

Cheers

Jack

• Member Contributer

Due to the high mount Akrapovic, the GIVI rack on my RC36 sat a bit higher and wider. The topbox base plate no longer fitted. So I fitted a steel plate on the rack's "legs" and drilled a few holes to fit the base plate. Solid as a rock as the earlier picture shows. Head on crash did not budge it... :goofy:

21 hours ago, Fazerboy said:

I presume you’ve fixed a Givi adaptor plate to the Honda rack. Is that all working fine?Do you happen to have a pic of that please?

Cheers

Jack

The previous owner fitted a SW Motech plate to it (but adapted for Givi/Kappa) and it works well. Everything feels much more solid

IMG_20180217_105222.jpg

IMG_20180217_105236.jpg

IMG_20180217_105254.jpg

• Member Contributer

Queue the clip and sing along...

"and now we're solid,

solid as a rock...."

:goofy:

Archived