How intrusive is your traction control?

Jkb4c

How intrusive is your traction control?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Does your traction control activate under "normal" riding conditions?

• Yes - the TC kicks in often when it really shouldn't
    • No - the TC activates usually at appropriate times

Hi all, 

I'm currently in the market for a new bike, and the 8th gen VFR is near the top of the list. I have seen a few complaints about the traction control being heavy handed and poorly implemented while researching the bike; my question for you all is, does your traction control kick in often under normal (or mildly spirited) riding conditions? A few posts have mentioned the TC coming on after hitting bumps at highway speeds, etc. 

I realize I can just disable it via the switch if it becomes a nuisance, but I am curious if the issue is that the TC is too easily set off, too heavy handed, or both. Thanks for any input.

• Member Contributer

The TC has saved my ass at least 4 times pulling away on gravel or in one case broken branches on the road blown down in a storm

If you've never had it before you won't notice it until it kicks in

The TC has saved my ass at least 4 times pulling away on gravel or in one case broken branches on the road blown down in a storm

If you've never had it before you won't notice it until it kicks in

Also, isn't Traction Control only on the Deluxe model? If you don't want it, you can just buy the base model.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I can't think of any circumstance where the TC genuinely saved me.  There was one instance where I was taking off from a stop and hit something slippery and my own instinct kicked in before the TC did.  It has on the other hand endangered my life in traffic on multiple occasions by kicking in when accelerating hard over irregular pavement, so I generally leave it turned off unless I'm riding through ridiculously bad conditions.

• Member Contributer

Mine has kicked in on gravel, on oil/water at a stoplight, on traintracks, and to prevent me from accidentally pulling a wheelie when I got to aggressive coming away from a light. Most of the time it doesn't do anything. I think once it kicks on the engine cut is too aggressive. On the track in dry conditions I never had it come on, the wheels really have to slip (or front wheel come up) for it to engage.

• Member Contributer

I'm glad it has TC and have no complaints really.  Yeah it's not as technically advanced as the newer systems that have multiple settings but back when it came out in '14 it was one of the few sporty bikes that had any sort of TC (or ABS to a lesser extent) available.

The only time I remember it coming on for sure was when I had just turned into my driveway and gave it some throttle to get up the somewhat steep hill at the end of my driveway.  There was one of those annoying free advertisement things wrapped in plastic near the end of my driveway and my rear wheel must have been on it just as I was giving it throttle cuz the TC kicked in.  I wouldn't say it saved my ass cuz I was only going about 5-10 mph but it may have saved me from a drop.

• Member Contributer
On 8/11/2017 at 10:08 AM, 4corsa said:

Also, isn't Traction Control only on the Deluxe model? If you don't want it, you can just buy the base model.

But then he'd have to give up the self-cancelling turn signals too - no way! :tongue:

Archived