Bikecam Highlights Thread

• Member Contributer

I recently fitted a Nextbase Ride bike camera to my bike as I am (still) waiting for the Fusar camera to be produced. There must be loads of us who have these fitted and I bet there's some interesting, funny or butt-clenching clips available so perhaps these could be linked here. I've watched a few of Gator Greg's and StoobyDoo's clips so here are 4 of mine from my work commute:

A single-vehicle crash around a bend in the wet. A1 northbound approaching Black Cat roundabout.

Yr not allowed to cross those chevrons! Same A1 roundabout, opposite direction.

Indicators not necessary, apparently.

Filtering has its hazards. She did apologise though when I pulled level.

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, Geezer72 said:

The only link that works is the Volvo one...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks m8, hopefully sorted now. :beer:

If by chevrons you mean cross hatch you are allowed to cross them id they have a broken line around them but not a continuous one. Car and bike did nothing wrong in crossing them.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, drumwrecker said:

If by chevrons you mean cross hatch you are allowed to cross them id they have a broken line around them but not a continuous one. Car and bike did nothing wrong in crossing them.

Only the car crossed them and it wasn't a reasonable place to do it and certainly not safe as he nearly took me out. You know the junction, yr local. It was stupid and I see it every week cos idiots can't read road signs and be in the correct lane. A less experienced rider and there may have been a collision.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, crakerjac said:

Is that a sponge sandwiched between your gauges and windscreen?

Lol. No, it's a wet sponge for keeping my visor clear of flies, though there haven't been many this year.

Chevrons, or crosshatching: Skids the other vehicle was indicating their intention to cross over into your lane for like a lifetime prior to initiating the manoeuvre. Legalities aside, you had two lanes all to yourself having got the drop on the vehicle in the left lane from the previous stop. If I were you I would have (indicated and), taking advantage of being on a right hand bend, easily let the bike move over to the left lane in half a second flat and everyone's happy. True, seeing you kept in your lane, they should have slowed and given way to you. Just what I would have done. Of course I can't see if you've got someone coming fast up on your left. I assume you don't as you seem much quicker off the mark.

Lane splitting: Skids, mate, do me a favour and split at a slower speed. You've come up on her so fast from behind a big van and she had initiated the manoeuvre when you were even further back than that and you know you're the one who does not have right of way while lane splitting. If you had collided you're the one who would be getting the ticket and your insurance would have to cover the damages, to her car only, not your bike (standard third party). Just for your own sake and my peace of mind, split slower. Sorry, FILTER slower.

Raining, blind curve, again you were lucky there was room. What was the recommended speed and were you paying heed? I don't mean to be patronizing but if I had nowhere to go and that got ugly, that's precisely what I'd be beating myself up about: "Why didn't I adjust my speed to the conditions?"

No use of indicators: yeah that sucked, but then, hey, it was pretty obvious to me he had the same idea you did... namely crossing those chevrons you're supposedly not supposed to, to overtake. Seemed you were keeping a safe distance behind. Maybe you subconsciously figured the same.

Driving in the UK's south is more like being in a rally. Spain can be worse, especially Valencia, Madrid and Barcelona. Italy and Malta, actually most Mediterranean areas are survival of the fastest.

The USA, Australia and Japan are a pushover (Japan is actually far too orderly, read boring, to drive/ride in, ergo incredibly safe).

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Auspanglish said:

Chevrons, or crosshatching: Skids the other vehicle was indicating their intention to cross over into your lane for like a lifetime prior to initiating the manoeuvre. Legalities aside, you had two lanes all to yourself having got the drop on the vehicle in the left lane from the previous stop. If I were you I would have (indicated and), taking advantage of being on a right hand bend, easily let the bike move over to the left lane in half a second flat and everyone's happy. True, seeing you kept in your lane, they should have slowed and given way to you. Just what I would have done. Of course I can't see if you've got someone coming fast up on your left. I assume you don't as you seem much quicker off the mark.

Lane splitting: Skids, mate, do me a favour and split at a slower speed. You've come up on her so fast from behind a big van and she had initiated the manoeuvre when you were even further back than that and you know you're the one who does not have right of way while lane splitting. If you had collided you're the one who would be getting the ticket and your insurance would have to cover the damages, to her car only, not your bike (standard third party). Just for your own sake and my peace of mind, split slower. Sorry, FILTER slower.

Raining, blind curve, again you were lucky there was room. What was the recommended speed and were you paying heed? I don't mean to be patronizing but if I had nowhere to go and that got ugly, that's precisely what I'd be beating myself up about: "Why didn't I adjust my speed to the conditions?"

No use of indicators: yeah that sucked, but then, hey, it was pretty obvious to me he had the same idea you did... namely crossing those chevrons you're supposedly not supposed to, to overtake. Seemed you were keeping a safe distance behind. Maybe you subconsciously figured the same.

Driving in the UK's south is more like being in a rally. Spain can be worse, especially Valencia, Madrid and Barcelona. Italy and Malta, actually most Mediterranean areas are survival of the fastest.

The USA, Australia and Japan are a pushover (Japan is actually far too orderly, read boring, to drive/ride in, ergo incredibly safe).

Whoa there boy......take it easy.

Firstly, the camera has a 140 degree+ lens which changes the perspective of everything in the picture, please remember that.

Filtering - I was doing less than 25 mph and the traffic was often moving. She neither looked nor indicated.

Roundabout/chevrons - he was on the wrong roundabout and had missed his filter. From the Highway Code;

Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.

• If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.

My bold/underline. It was NOT safe for him join a lane I was occupying. Yes, I saw him indicate earlier and figured he might do it (I see it at least once a week) and allowed for it but that does not mean he can just go ahead and do it. It was my lane and it would have been uncomfortable checking left shoulder whilst turning right to clear the left lane and move over to allow for his incompetence. It wasn't dangerous, but could have been.

For the crash, the limit is 60mph and I was doing ~50mph. I was totally under control at all times and had decided quite quickly that I was going around the front of the crashed car as I didn't want to brake on the debris she had kicked up (you may not have spotted that the car was still moving as I rounded the corner and the debris was still rolling across the road). There was plenty of room without crossing the centreline. I parked beyond using the safety of the crashed vehicle as a barrier to any further collision with my bike from following traffic whilst I ran back to slow traffic into the same blind bend.

The indictor-free BMW - yes, I expected him to do it which is why there wasn't an incident, but I'd been behind him from the junction, he indicated normally on the roundabout, you can see as we exit I pull right preparing for the overtake, already indicating as I leave the roundabout and I have a full jacket dayglo plus 4 pure white LED lights on the bike so no excuse not to know I was there nor what my intention was. He chose to ignore it and take a chance that I could brake in time to avoid hitting him. He was a cock. IF he'd indicated his intention to overtake, I may have been a little less disappointed with him. My subsequent overtake was a little aggressive but again that camera makes what is a very wide road look very narrow (you could fit 4 trucks alongside and still overtake them safely, it's that wide). And those aren't chevrons. Chevrons are like Sgts stripes, make a V. But I take your point. The fact that they are not solid-lines on the Black Cat is utterly stupid and someone is going to die there soon.

:beer:

It's all cool Skids. Not hitting on you. I agree, dickhead moves, but also figure you had them picked out and it's like "another day in the life of...".

So the camera certainly warps the sensation of speed. Text on screen also warps my words, I'm not having a go at ya.

Yes I saw the car was still moving and hoped to Christ it didn't lurch forward into you as you went around it. Figure you could read the driver's body language and no sign of trying to engage gear and drive "forward".

As I said in my earlier post, Black Cat guy should have given way. Still think the filter driver didn't/couldn't see you, I could swear they were indicating, if they're not bike aware they usually don't expect that, unfortunately they usually aren't so onice ends up on us, you do seem to be able to brake comfortably so that's the camera warping the sensation of distance and speed.

Anyway you appear capable and unphased at all times. What did you say to the filter video driver?

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Auspanglish said:

Anyway you appear capable and unphased at all times. What did you say to the filter video driver?

No worries m8. Perhaps I leapt to my defence a little quickly too, but the camera certainly gives a different view than the reality.

I was actually doing 41mph as the crash(ing) car comes into view. The viewing software that comes with the camera includes GPS speed and Google Maps location. I have disabled the GPS speed readout in the video clips.

All I said was "Really"? She apologised. I said no more and rode off.

You are correct, the Volvo was indicating, but the indication doesn't become visible until the nose of the vehicle is about to cross the centreline. The panel van gets in the way. I don't think she even looked to see if there was a bike filtering though, most don't. They see a space and go for it. I've survived over 220,000 miles on VFRs so far, with only 2 no-fault accidents (tap head/touch wood), though clearly I learned lessons from both.

It's easy, as you suggest, to see things developing early, give way and everyone is happy but for me, that allows sh1t drivers to get away probably without realising what they almost did which is why I tend to allow things to roll forward a little more, whilst still maintaining my own safety space. That way, they seldom miss what their inattention or idiocy may have caused.

19 hours ago, Skids said:

Only the car crossed them and it wasn't a reasonable place to do it and certainly not safe as he nearly took me out. You know the junction, yr local. It was stupid and I see it every week cos idiots can't read road signs and be in the correct lane. A less experienced rider and there may have been a collision.

Just looked at the film again and the bike looked to me to within the hatched area

• Member Contributer

If you post vids on the Internet you have to have a thick skin.  I even got stick when I posted a clip of a Ducati rider swerving lazily around a merging lorry on an Italian Autostrada--and nearly under my van's front bumper...

Ciao,

5 minutes ago, JZH said:

If you post vids on the Internet you have to have a thick skin.  I even got stick when I posted a clip of a Ducati rider swerving lazily around a merging lorry on an Italian Autostrada--and nearly under my van's front bumper...

Ciao,

youtube.png

It's a forum mate. A discussion forum where things are, well, discussed! But don't argue with my discussion!!

Honestly I don't see the fickle YouTube/Facebook bullshit going on in this thread.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, drumwrecker said:

Just looked at the film again and the bike looked to me to within the hatched area

If you mean me, then no, I was definitely not in the chevron area.

It's a stupid interim design whilst they wait a few years to build a flyover. But effectively allowing vehicles to cross there is madness.

Archived