• Member Contributer

It has been a very busy year and I haven't had time until this past weekend to roll all of the VFRs out for a class reunion picture.  It was a gorgeous day out anyways, so why not snap some pics before heading out on a ride?

The red 5th gen is an 2001 with about 5,800 miles, purchased in 2012 from the original owner and he only had 750 odd miles on the bike.  It was all stock minus a Two Bros slip on that I swapped out for a Akropovic.  Mostly, I have kept this bike original and stock with the exception of DMR front fork tuning, an Ohlins shock, stainless lines, the 98-99 cat less headers and updating the charging system.  Oh and of course an 8 spoke wheel powdercoated black.

The silver VFR is my "Gen 5.5 Hybrid"- basically the front half of a 5th gen VFR with gear driven cams (as they all should be), with the back half of a 6th gen with the OEM bag mounts and underseat exhaust.  That makes it a bit easier to see the 8 spoke wheel.  My bodywork guy also changed the headlight shape to mimic dual headlights and it really does bridge the gap between the odd single headlights that Honda was using in the late 90s (Superhawk, CBR 900, VFR) to the next generation in 2002 with the VTEC and dual headlights.  There is a good picture showing the front of the bikes and how just the subtle change really altered the look of the front fairing.  Originally, being 2000 model, it was yellow, and I planned on keeping it yellow.  But when the tank needed to be swapped with a 6th gen to fit the new subframe and seat correctly, I found a brand new 2003(?) silver for $200.  The silver looked great and I decided to go in that direction instead.  This was my third VFR, and the project began because as much as I enjoy riding my '01 I didn't want to put a ton of miles on it and wanted to keep it mostly stock.  So a second 5th gen was needed of course.  The original owner had about 7,000 miles on it when he sold it to me in the fall of 2014.  It was on the lift for over a year as a project and now has almost 12k miles on it.  I am very happy with the way the project worked out, even if it was more expensive and more time/ stress consuming than originally planned.  But what project isn't, right?

The RWB Anniversary was my second VFR after I decided I loved my low mileage 5th gen so much that I wanted to keep the miles off of it, and have more of a sport touring platform for killing miles.  It was purchased in the fall of 2013 with only 1500 miles on it from the original owner, who only added Heli bars and was getting out of riding.  Besides having one of the best replica paint jobs ever IMHO, it has been a great bike overall and after adding quite a few "farkles" (especially swapping out the seat for a Saddlemen and the stock screen) is a very capable sport touring bike that I would still put up against the newer generations of ST bikes.  The white wheels are a PITA to keep clean, but just look right.  The stock wheels didn't look bad, but the white makes the bike look lighter.

I am often asked which is my favorite.  That's tough to answer, as each has its own strengths and weaknesses.  If I had to sell any of them off, the 6th gen would go first, that's probably the best way to answer it.  IMHO it just doesn't have the "soul" of the 5th gens, likely due to the VTEC and chain driven cams.  Neither one of changes bother me particularly - I just personally prefer the feel and sound of the 5th gen motor and even the handling (not stock however).

My wife told me the other day when I rolled them out that I have a "VFR problem". 

I said, "hell yes I do.  I don't have a 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen, 4th gen or 8th gen VFR!!!"

All kidding aside, there will be a 4th gen in the group someday.  I have always loved their NR inspired look and NACA ducts.  I had always drooled over the 3rd gens sitting next to the RC30 at the local Honda dealer, but the 4th generation was the first VFR that I ever rode.  It sealed my insanity for them, even though I was married to Triumph at the time. The Sprint and Trophy were always too under-developed, overweight, crude and not as cool as the VFRs -to me at least.  Triumph America borrowed a '96 VFR 750 from a local dealer for "testing" before the Sprint 955i was to be launched, and I think I alone put over 2,000 miles on it.  Our then CEO ripped me a new one for riding it so much.  Man was he pissed.  Oh well, it was worth it...

IMG_3104.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG

• Member Contributer

Nice stable, although it DOES need a 4th gen......

P8060874_thumb_JPG_eefbe8d201a10eebd965f45cb527a2f6.jpg.d63ec0bc985932a2dbdb16fe53f0d2d7.jpg

57bdfb0902399_2016-08-0110_01_56-2_thumb_jpg_f50e6a0e82be48473e6289516fdf6893.jpg.abc4e30ab677e858040db187537130f5.jpg

Very nice. My lady once told me that I can only ride one at a time. My response was that she can only wear one pair of shoes at a time. Win me. Beautiful bikes, can't top the NR but here are my pair.12ddeade5783aa48215fba738dc2fe82.jpgf41986f5db3da7cfd3008290bcaa2c9b.jpge21ed32ce89346ea7bbcf3575171b5cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, paladinreed said:

Really awesome stable man. Bet it feels great to pull them all out together.

Yes, like a proud papa! :beer:

Ah man, you are right...   lol   :)

It's not a real NR, but it is a pretty good replica!

Ciao,

Quite easy to see it's a replica.

I once had MBD but was cured by Spain's massive economic slump. At the moment I don't even own one bike. As a result sometimes I feel I need a psychiatrist.

5 minutes ago, Auspanglish said:

Quite easy to see it's a replica.

In retrospect yeah.  I hadn't seen one or a picture of one in about 20 years - I guess I just got all excited...  :D

• Member Contributer
On 8/10/2017 at 10:38 PM, deltaboxii said:

Yes, like a proud papa! :beer:

Fabulous quiver you've got there my friend. I'm sure they enjoyed their time in the daylight. Solve your time issues and get some Riding in!

• Member Contributer

Now that the move to the new house is out of the way and the unpacking done, my time should start freeing up for riding!

15 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Fabulous quiver you've got there my friend. I'm sure they enjoyed their time in the daylight. Solve your time issues and get some Riding in!

7 hours ago, deltaboxii said:

Now that the move to the new house is out of the way and the unpacking done, my time should start freeing up for riding!

That didn't work for me. Something about fixing this, remodeling that, painting the other thing.

Then, mow the lawn, trim bushes, it never ends. :wacko:

Archived