90 VFR seat tab repair kit - need instructions

RC51Nick

• Member Contributer

I picked up a factory Honda seat tab repair kit from CMSNL for my 90 VFR and while the kit looks complete it didn't come with any sort of instructions.  Before I start tearing the hell out of things I thought I'd check ip here to see if anyone has one the could post up a copy or PM me a copy.  

Kit PN 77200-MT4-306

Thanks,

Nick

• Member Contributer

It may have been described in a Honda technical bulletin at some point.  American Honda also has a publication called the Wrench, in which some updates are described, but I don't have a record of anything from the 1990s.  Do you know any friendly Honda dealers?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I got a friends shop that used to be Honda.  They still have all their manuals.  I'll see what they have but I'm not holding my breath.  I thought that repair kit was european only but I may be wrong.

Thanks for the tip.

• Member Contributer

I don't know why the repair kit would have been non-US only, the bike wasn't!  But American Honda does strange things sometimes...

It won't be in the Workshop Manuals (all of which I have), but in the technical bulletins that would have come out sometime later.  Here's an example of how such a thing might have been released to the dealer network (an article in the Wrench, referring to the actual Service Bulletin):

V4_94magna_cam.jpg

And the actual service bulletin:

attachment.php?attachmentid=15925&stc=1&

attachment.php?attachmentid=15926&stc=1&

I'd guess the VFR750F seat repair kit was probably released in '91 or so.  I owned a '90 FL from new and it did not take very long for me to realise that the seat tab design was crap...  I don't have a picture handy, but the repair I did at that time has (miraculously) remained to this day, on that bike's Sargent seat which is now on my "eternal project" FP.  I just cut out some sheet metal tabs, bent them into a lazy "Z" shape and pop-riveted them to the seat.  Rusty, but effective!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I took your advice JZH and went over to my buddies shop and went through all their service bulletins and The Wrench from 1990 through 2010 and didn't see anything on this seat tab repair kit.  I can't be the only one on here that bought one of these.  Hopeing someone will see this with an idea of how the kit goes together on the seat.

Archived