Which One?

OleNo1

Hi all...

Somewhat new to the forum.  Had a 2000 VFR a few years ago and wish I never sold it.  Then I got a CBR1100XX and just didn't care for it long term and sold it.  It just didn't have the same "fun" factor to me as the VFR.  So I'm back in the market and here are the choices:

Choice 1:

1998 Red VFR800 - 19K miles.  Local individual owner (within 50 miles) who has owned it since 2003.  he's the second owner and is a retired Air Force pilot.  Bike is stock other than a blacked out Zero Gravity windscreen and K&N filter.  He has the grab handles, seat cowl, (2) keys, owners manual, toolk kit and even the little tabs that go into the rear when the seat cowl isn't on.  He updated the R/R and has done all the service himself.  Very clean bike other than some bugs.  He promises it has NEVER been down and been easily ridden which the condition seems to support.  Things I know that it needs is new coolant (changed in 2005 with a new T-stat), new brake fluid (original), new chain (its original but seems to be okay) and 2000-2001 mirrors (Condom mirrors are atrocious).  Tires are relatively new (approx. 5-6K miles).  He wants $3,500 and it comes with a 7 year old Shoei helmet, Geza cover, Nelson Riggs magnetic tank bag and a Honda service manual

Choice 2:

2001 Red VFR800 - 21K miles.  Reputable Honda dealer.  It's a 2 hour flight, a hotel room and an 8 hour ride home (won't cost anything because of credit card points).  Bike was traded in from local owner.  It has Heli-Bars, Yosh RS-3 pipe, Throttlemeister cruise, grab handles, tool kit and two keys.  He does NOT have the seal cowl.  Tank has a minor ding (sent me pictures) but otherwise the bike is really clean per the dealer the pictures show the same.  Has 80% tires left (Dunlop Sportmaxx) and what appears to be a newer chain.  Bike has the original R/R.  Asked about charging issues and they claim to have checked the bike over before listing for sale... no issues (supposedly).  Dealer wants $3,300.

I really like the idea of the 2001.  It's 3-4 model years newer and has some upgrades I want.  But I also don't want to fly and then find that the bike isn't what I hoped it was.  Local guys bike is really clean but seems he wants a bit too much for a basically stock bike.  The accessories don't mean much to me as the helmet is past it's useful life to me and the other stuff is easily bought.  But the 1998 doesn't have cats and is local and I've physically seen it and checked it out.  But the 2001 is a bit cheaper.  

Thoughts on which way to go?  Torn here.  

I had a fully done up 99 VFR. All the bells and whistles all the way down the a ?Steiber? sp horn. Sold that and bought a closeout 14. You wont be disappointed. Imo, a much better, refined bike. 

• Member Contributer

If that were me I'd buy the 99; better bodywork (and that is not easy to replace) and sounds well-loved. Plus you've already looked at the condition and met the owner. For me the 99 is a better bet, catless and no O2 sensors, also no fast idle wax unit; the 99 has a good old fashioned fast idle lever on the bars, which don't give any trouble. You get to keep the stock muffler, and can add your choice of slip on if you fancy that. Knock a few hundred off because you don't want the helmet and other bits.

• Member Contributer

I'm with Terry, for all of the reasons he listed.
If the '01 had any performance improvements over the '98, it would be a different story.
It doesn't, however.
The condom mirrors have been replaced, so the lone aesthetic issue has been addressed.

The replacement items you list are relatively low cost and the pernicious R/R issue has been dealt with.

The fact that he has all of the odd original bits would indicate that the current owner is conscientious about maintaining the bike.

• Member Contributer

I paid $3500 for my great condition 98 VFR with 16k...7 years ago or thereabouts. Take that as you will. The second hand helmet has $0 value since it's used and might not be your size or fit you right.

I can't imagine that the chain and brake fluid is really original. If the fluid is, figure a rebuild on the calipers. Also, 5th gen is not that straightforward to do the brake bleed b/c of the linked brakes. I would also assume that the forks have never been touched, so you are going to want to do a fork rebuild. After 19k, there probably isn't fluid in there anymore. Mine were pretty rough.

Valves haven't been done on the 1998.  He was going to do it and then decided to sell it.  Dealer said he didn't know if the valves had been checked on the 2001 but said it runs out fine...

• Member Contributer

I'm on the '98 as the better bike... and you can offer less if you want to make a deal.. 

Btw - neither need a valve check at the mileage the bikes are at.

I offered $3,250 on the 1998 and he wouldn't take it.  He's had it for sale for a month.  I think he has some sentimental attachment to it.  And he said the brake fluid has never been changed.  He bought the bike with 4,000 miles on it in 2003.  As far as I'm concerned the brakes have never been done.

Dealer said the bike was in his shop 2,000 miles ago for a pre-season inspection and oil change.  That is the only service history he has on it.    

• Member Contributer

I purchased my 2000 model with 7,000 miles and mostly stock for $3200 from a dealer, two years ago.  I don't think you are out of the ball park.  Offer him $3,300, Tell him to keep the helmet, that it will need at least $200 worth of service because it has truthfully sat idle for awhile (no bike or car likes that).  So yes, its a $3,500 bike, just not at the moment.

I like the 98 but I'm a little partial, I own a 99. It's a shame he won't budge at all on his price. I concur about the helmet, 7 years old and you don't know if it's ever been dropped. Do take the Geza cover though, I love mine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, OleNo1 said:

I offered $3,250 on the 1998 and he wouldn't take it.  He's had it for sale for a month.  I think he has some sentimental attachment to it.  And he said the brake fluid has never been changed.  He bought the bike with 4,000 miles on it in 2003.  As far as I'm concerned the brakes have never been done.

Dealer said the bike was in his shop 2,000 miles ago for a pre-season inspection and oil change.  That is the only service history he has on it.    

I'm still at the mk1 is the better bike. The '98 has a few tidbits over the mk2 that for me make it the preferred bike

-no cat

- slightly larger diameter headers.

- manual fast idle lever ... no maintenance on a wax fast idle thingy.

-prolly a couple more ponys

- now I m brain dead but there's a few more 

And you don't have to fly to get there.

And it sounds dumb but I really like the tach on the 2001 better.  The font and the "VFR" on it make it more pleasing to look at.  I also won't have to swap mirrrors on the 2001 which I will on the 1998.  I won't have to add heli-bars, exhaust, cruise, etc.  I can buy a rear seat cowl for $100.  Just think the better buy is the 2001.  The guy with the 1998 just won't come down in price.  

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, OleNo1 said:

And it sounds dumb but I really like the tach on the 2001 better.  The font and the "VFR" on it make it more pleasing to look at.  I also won't have to swap mirrrors on the 2001 which I will on the 1998.  I won't have to add heli-bars, exhaust, cruise, etc.  I can buy a rear seat cowl for $100.  Just think the better buy is the 2001.  The guy with the 1998 just won't come down in price.  

I agree with you on the font of the gauges.  The '98-'99 is terrible.  Looks really dated and probably even did back in the day.  Most people always say the '98-'99 ones are the ones to have because of the catless exhaust and fast idle lever vs. the wax unit.  But I swapped headers out and am very happy with my '01.  If the newer fuel injected bikes don't have fast idle levers why do you need one?  To me that defeats the point of fuel injection!

Do what feels right, don't second guess yourself.  Theres always the "should I have bought that one instead".  Just do it and enjoy your new to you VFR.  I am sure you will love it!

Have not checked the 2001 for rust in the tank as I haven't seen it in person. Didn't even think to check the 1998 as I've never had that issue in any bike I've owned.

• Member Contributer

You should ride both and decide that way. One will feel better. IMO - If they won't let you ride it then don't buy it.

I've personally agonized over many a bike and car near and far, so I can empathize with your difficult decision. Without appraising both bikes first-hand, you may have doubts the first time something major comes up should you purchase the pilot's bike without assessing the dealer's bike. Have you considered "investing" in the flight down, hotel points, check firmly hidden in back pocket, to take a close look at the dealer's bike? It may seem indulgent in a way, but this way you could eliminate the faraway bike up close and personal, and proceed with confidence in purchasing the pilot's nearby steed. Hell, it could even be an adventure of sorts. What do you think?

Dave

Saline, MI

PS I was pretty firm on the selling price of my '94 VFR back in 2013, but that changed the closer I got to my relocation date to the Pacific Northwest. Market dynamics, sigh. My buyer got a solid deal and I was free to leave and rebuild my life post-divorce. All good.

• Member Contributer

For well under $3500, I could have a 4th gen completely rebuilt and ready to go with fresh painted plastics. I'd bet mcrwt644 will have or has a VFR for sale too. Are you set on the 5th gen?

Archived