a day of catching up from the previous owner

• Member Contributer

I have been riding my new to me 95 quite a bit, without really looking at it, didn't seem like too much was brewing and it ran reasonably well but this morning

as I pulled into the shop I notice that it always smells a little fuel rich and I figured if I bought a bike that the seller overlooked the frozen head stock bearings

maybe I ought to look around a bit.

I was impressed how easily this bike comes apart, I'll bet within 35 minutes I had all the plastic off, the tank off and the battery out.  My rich issue was found right away

I would imagine you should see light when you hold a K&N air filter up to the light, not even a pinprick showed through.

So I took the day and did it all, filter cleaning,new fuel filter, plugs , new coolant, oil and filter, got out my MityVac and pulled all new Dot 4 synthetic through all the hydraulics, lubed the cables, hit the float drains,

...anything I miss?

Just now took it out for a ride and it feels like it breaths a lot easier.

I do want to get a quieter pipe,there is a texas made D&D can on there, great condition but I want a little more stealth.  I would like to find a quieter high mount system, any suggestions?

• Member Contributer

Hi Mike,

D&D's are universally known as King of Loud, as are most Sebring and Devil.

Whip out that multimeter and measure the altenator's AC ouput over the 3 yellow wires (engine warmed up) and the DC from the voltage regulator to battery. Check wires/connectors in the entire line for burning/melting, incl the starter relay (red/green thingie in front of battery)

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that input Dutchy, I will give the charging system a hard look

there is a new regulator but the wiring ends would be good to check.

I am happy to hear the DD is considered loud, I thought it was my advancing age ( well I'm sure that's part of it)' any suggestions of quieter? I'm even considering a return to stock but don't like the

weight and want the high pipe. That Staintune looks nice

I have a delkevic high mount. Its not loud with or without the db baffle in. I left it out. You will not find anything as quiet as stock. Internal packing wears out and mufflers will get louder over time. Cost around $200. Cheap for motorcycle exhaust. Love the hight mount look.

20170430_091713.jpg

5 hours ago, hondaman219 said:

I have a delkevic high mount. Its not loud with or without the db baffle in. I left it out. You will not find anything as quiet as stock. Internal packing wears out and mufflers will get louder over time. Cost around $200. Cheap for motorcycle exhaust. Love the hight mount look.

20170430_091713.jpg

Can I ask what lengthy that is? 14 or 18"?

20170430_091713.thumb.jpg.8094cc04591081da23f6c2864db9e022.jpg

Dude that bikes tits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I spent the afternoon today removing and replacing the headstock bearings.  I was sort of surprised the original Honda ball bearings looked pretty good, they felt like crap, all notchy and locking slightly over center but they had to be examined carefully to see the dimples, lots of good quality lube left.

Kind of a pain in ass but all done and back together. Like many owners, (I suppose) most of the issues were caused by not having the press tools and misc. but I managed, I do a number of bicycle head stock bearings the same way and haven't cracked a carbon frame yet.  I am totally impressed by how this Gen 4 is built, rugged, rugged everywhere I look.

So new tapered bearings, loaded with hi end moly grease and preloaded lightly and I am ready to redo the tension after the first 500 miles just to check.  Front wheel bearings are toast so doing those as well this week and one of the little clips that hold in the left headlight bulb is missing.  New hi mount exhaust will be here tomorrow, I really need tires soon but I think I'll try and get another 2-3k out of these

I can second just how loud Sebring are, they're disgustingly loud in fact. I need to swap mine out for something else...driving me nuts!

35806908543_d6af86910b_b.jpg

36616383235_360f19eb5b_b.jpg

• Member Contributer

Test drive!   Delkevic high mount with the installed baffle is quiet, this is the first time I have driven this bike without earplugs, Mostly wind noise when driving.  I may pull the baffle to see how that is but I am digging the quiet after the last system.

All good, new steering bearings, wheel bearings, front pads, exhaust and the addition of a Lin 3 brilliant LED stop flasher, stealth mount works perfectly with the VFR, you can see it above the plate

DSC_0872.JPG

DSC_0873.JPG

DSC_0874.JPG

DSC_0875.JPG

• Member Contributer

Are you using ethanol free gas? Highly recommend using it. My 4th gen is a completely different  machine on the good stuff. Plus your carb gaskets will thank you.  

We have nothing but crap gas here in maine. I have been adding a little startron with my gas and it seems to help. I can notice a difference after I fill up until I get home and add startron. Wish they would get rid of that crap gas. Causes nothing but problems. The factory owners manual says you can run up to 10% ethanol but I do not think 24 years ago honda planned on so much of the crap gas. Not much we can do about it. Dam the epa and give us the good gas back.....Maybe burnes45 can send me a 55gal drum of the good stuff? 

• Member Contributer

how is the seat unit bodywork with the exhaust so close to it?,no problems with melting or warping??,just curious

I have put 1000+ miles on it this season and have no issues with heat. I looks close to the body work but there is not much heat in the muffler body. I assume the packing in the muffler acts like insulation and keeps the outside reasonably cool. The pipe was made for this bike and believe delkevic would know if it started melting bike parts. As the packing wears out will the pipe get hotter? Time will tell. I did put a little heat tape on the bottom edge of the fender above the muffler but do not think it was necessary. So far I am very happy with the pipe. The downside is with the pipe up so high and close to the body I do not think it will provide much protection to the body if the bike falls over. I know do not let the bike fall over.....

• Member Contributer

I took it over 217 miles yesterday in the scorching Florida heat. Going south I used all the back roads complete with traffic jams and coming back north I took Rt 95 including many rather uncrowded sections where I could keep the speed fairly high for long stretches .  Engine temp always stays low on this bike and I noticed I could put my ungloved hand directly on the silencer after a long run, uncomfortable certainly but no where near as hot as I would have expected.

I had a set of soft bags (Oxford 48's) on the bike as well with the right bag just about touching the exhaust but had no damage visible on the bag.

Archived