Starting Problem

Mountainrider

I have all the suspension work done now and the bike has been setting for a while but we have put several hundred miles on her. New battery and the wiring has been updated. The problem is when it sets over night the thing is hard to start. When you press the starter button it just makes a clicking sound. I tried jumping it off and it still clicks but if you keep on pressing the button it will finally start and after it starts it will be fine the rest of the day.  It has me confused. Jumping it off makes no difference so it's not the battery. If it's the relay why does it start fine the rest of the day ? Thanks for any info. 

• Member Contributer

Don't discount a failing battery in this. Batteries can develop an internal short which prevents full current passing to the solenoid or starter. That same short will also prevent jump cables from providing enough current. Before you do anything else, try the jump again but pull your bike battery out of the circuit (i.e. pull the positive battery cable off and connect the jump positive lead directly to that). I had the exact same thing with my daughter's car and convinced myself that I needed a new solenoid, but some advice from a work colleague and a new battery fixed it. 

• Member Contributer

As Terry said, I had the same problem years ago on a VF1000 with a brand new battery. 

I was about to replace starter when the same was suggested to me, second new battery fixed the problem. 

Archived