Dashboard Darkness

Taff5887

I have a 2003 VTEC with 80,000 miles on it.  I have had a few electrical issues, and I have replaced the Battery, RR, Stator and harness from the RR to the battery.  I have also added an extra earth into the harness at the front left multi block connector.

The problem I have with my bike is intermittent!  When I turn my ignition off and remove my key the dashboard goes completely blank, no clock!  When I reinsert the key and turn the ignition on it comes back to life, but the clock has reset itself to 0100, the mileage trip meters have re-zeroed and the outside air temp has gone back to engine temp!!  

I cant see any loose connections, and it does not do it every time but enough to wind me up as I have to rest the clock constantly.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. 

• Member Contributer

Have a good look at Fuse A Clock 10a. Make sure it's seated well and making good contact.

If you can make sure the 12v Clock Fuse power is at the Instrument Panel when the fault is there.

Have a good look at the circuit diagram and check any earths for the instrument panel, make sure they are properly grounded.

Good Luck.

Cheers.

Grum, thanks for the input.  To add to the previous info, it happened again today when i parked my bike and took the key out of the ignition so it must be ignition switch linked!!

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Taff5887 said:

Grum, thanks for the input.  To add to the previous info, it happened again today when i parked my bike and took the key out of the ignition so it must be ignition switch linked!!

Hi Taff5887.

That's a little strange! I checked my circuit diagram and verified the 12v power source for the Clock 10a Fuse comes Directly from the Battery NOT via the ignition switch. The circuit diagram I have is for the Australian 6th gen version, however I would have assumed the Clock backup power would be the same.

You need to check a circuit diagram specific to your bike. I can assure you it just doesn't make sense that this HOT Battery power (power that is there ALL the time) is reliant on the Ignition Switch!!!!

You still may have an intermittent fault along the Clock 10a Fuse A line, as the main power source for the Panel appears to be off Fuse E 10a (Meter, Indicators etc.) which is switched via your Ignition Switch.

So - lets assume the Clock 10a line losses power, you're not going to know about it until you turn your Ignition Off.

Try this Test. Remove the Clock 10a Fuse A. Turn on your Ignition, set you clock for time,  start your bike, verify everything is normal. Now switch off your bike and of course your clock will be dead, simulating the fault you have, a potential loss of the backup clock power. OR you still may have an intermittent bad instrument panel earth.

Hope This Helps.

Keep Us Posted.

Cheers.

Grum.

Archived