Busted up VFR. .

Woodie

• Member Contributer

On my way to work on tiny country lane, following a lorry (truck). Lorry meets another coming the other way so stops suddenly. I manage to do too but then it proceeds to reverse back out of the way of the other lorry...

Paddling backwards furiously I am hitting the horn and revving to make as much noise as I can but he hits me, pushing me back about 5 feet before he stops.

Not hurt but shaken up. I have already had DHL's insurance people on to get the bike booked in for repair. Fairing, Headlight, front mudguard all smashed to buggery. If you look you can see the trail of bits shows how far I was pushed back and the mark on the front wheel from the lorry's rear bumper. I managed to ride it home as I was only 1 mile away but will see what the engineers say when they inspect it. It sounds like I might get it done quite quickly but I am a bit cynical due to the current on-going claim on the Triumph.

Smash.jpg

Always stay a good distance when stopping behind any vehicle and get yourself some louder air horns like Stebles
Glad you didn't fall over, that would of been messy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Been there......

IMAG4030.thumb.jpg.a2f7b2b0f6f12747013338b6d3ec2b97.jpg

Double FIAMM Blaster, but if the driver doesnot check his mirror before reversing.... 

• Member Contributer
On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:46 PM, duccmann said:

Always stay a good distance when stopping behind any vehicle and get yourself some louder air horns like Stebles
Glad you didn't fall over, that would of been messy

Brilliant advice in hindsight but he stopped suddenly and I anchored up quite to about 3 feet behind him. Didn't expect him to reverse on a straight road with no turn offs.

Usually I would be on the offside so I can see the drivers mirrors (if I can see him then he can see me) but the lane was so narrow there would have been danger from oncoming traffic so I was about the middle but hard braking sent me to the nearside.

still waiting on a verdict from the shop as to the cost of the damage.

• Member Contributer

I hate that happened to you. Some good may come from this. I will stop procrastinating about getting

a new horn, maybe one that mimics a Mack truck

• Member Contributer

I feel for you brother, last week someone backed their work truck into my 09, it was parked so I didn't get to see and or hear the horrible sound it made when it hit the ground! Although still rideable, I now have to deal with getting repair estimate and all of the other BS that comes along with getting a vehicle covered by another's insurance company. I will say though, my insurer has been good to work with so far. Hopefully it goes smooth for you.

This is what I was welcomed with. At least the person who backed into it stayed and owned up to it.

IMG_3529_zpswp9ixg9x.jpg

• Member Contributer

That really sucks - sorry about your damage but glad you didn't get hurt.  Your incident reminded me of the time I was behind a car at the car wash - the kind where you put the vehicle in neutral and it pulls you through.  The old geezer in front of me accidentally put his car in reverse!  I watched in disbelief as his reverse lights came on and then his brake lights went out and I realized he was starting to idle back towards me.  I leaned on the horn and had to frantically put my car in reverse to get out of his way - I think he came within half an inch of hitting my front bumper.  Had there been anyone behind me I would have gotten smushed.  I was in a car of course so no real danger of being injured - I can only imagine how scary that would be if on a bike!

• Member Contributer

The bike can be fixed i am just glad your still with us! Life is so short just enjoy it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, sllik said:

The bike can be fixed i am just glad your still with us! Life is so short just enjoy it !

Oh Yes, I am more miffed as the bike was bought as a crash repairable bike, to use as a commuter. That being said I still like the bike to look nice so I'd spent time repairing the original fairing and repainting.

Ah well. Time to get the tools out again.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well after being with the repairers for 3 weeks (?) I have it back. Apparently the workshop manager forgot to order the front mudguard (fender) and they had to source a second-hand one. 

Not happy with the dealer as I got it with a few bits I wasn't happy with. silly things really. Clips missing on the fairing, loose bolts holding the upper fairing cowling to the lower panels, headlight wiring dangling in the breeze, paintwork didn't match and the air temp sensor Zip tied to the oil cooler ??? who on earth thought tying a temperature sensor to a heat exchanger was a good idea?

Am I being too picky? I know the bike is 15 years old and the paint Non-Standard but surely if they are charging the Insurance company for the repairs they should have at least made an attempt to match the paintwork.

Fairing paint..jpg

I don't think your too picky. I like my stuff how it came from the factory. I'd complain to the dealer about their shoddy workmanship and then I'd probably post up a negative review of the business on social media.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Woodie said:

Well after being with the repairers for 3 weeks (?) I have it back. Apparently the workshop manager forgot to order the front mudguard (fender) and they had to source a second-hand one. 

Not happy with the dealer as I got it with a few bits I wasn't happy with. silly things really. Clips missing on the fairing, loose bolts holding the upper fairing cowling to the lower panels, headlight wiring dangling in the breeze, paintwork didn't match and the air temp sensor Zip tied to the oil cooler ??? who on earth thought tying a temperature sensor to a heat exchanger was a good idea?

Am I being too picky? I know the bike is 15 years old and the paint Non-Standard but surely if they are charging the Insurance company for the repairs they should have at least made an attempt to match the paintwork.

Fairing paint..jpg

...and also forgot to reduce the amount of the invoice to the insurer accordingly, no doubt.

No, you're not being too picky and no, a non-standard paint scheme is not a justification for not attempting to match it.  You were under no obligation to keep the original paint scheme, and if it costs more to match non-standard paint, that's just what it costs.

By all means, complain to the repairer, but the problem you may have is that you are not their customer--the insurer is.  So your only leverage is to demand that the insurer put the bike back to the condition it was before it was damaged by their policyholder's actions, and that they (the insurer) pressures the repairer to do what's necessary.  But, they might not care (after all, you're not their customer, either!)  If that doesn't work, take them (the insurer) to small claims court if they refuse to pay whatever it takes to make up for the repairer's failures.  The MCOL process is surprisingly effective--even against large companies.

Based on what you've said, you really don't want this repairer to get its mitts on your bike again, but you probably have to give them a chance if the insurer requests it.  Next time, consider using a "claims management" company to represent YOUR interests.  These companies are very familiar with the whole process and can do things like arrange for a hire bike for the duration of any repairs (which tends to incentivise the insurer to force the repairer to satisfy you).  Good luck.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, JZH said:

...and also forgot to reduce the amount of the invoice to the insurer accordingly, no doubt.

No, you're not being too picky and no, a non-standard paint scheme is not a justification for not attempting to match it.  You were under no obligation to keep the original paint scheme, and if it costs more to match non-standard paint, that's just what it costs.

By all means, complain to the repairer, but the problem you may have is that you are not their customer--the insurer is. 

Thanks, I will be writing to the repairer and the insurers listing my complaint. I am most disappointed in the dealer is it is a company I have been going to for some years and I have a very good relationship, even to the point of a healthy" loyal customer discount" and I am not used to expecting this level of service. I am not after any re-imbursement as I have the bike and I don't want to lose it again for any time but I feel I need to voice my disappointment and any further works will be thoroughly inspected before I leave the premises.

Rant Over... time to enjoy "The Defiant" before settling back into the Humdrum of the daily commute.

Archived