Am I the only one who didn't know...

GatorGreg

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

LOL - I hear where you're coming from and respect your point of view.  And this may be why Honda gave us the choice in the USA of having ABS and TC on the 8th gen, they know that a significant portion of our population don't like having computers taking control of things for us or government regulators forcing safety equipment on us.  But if you are anti-regulation, can we assume that your car is a pre 2012 model made before Electronic Stability Control became mandatory?  Actually, you would probably want to get a car made before roughly 1995 when airbags became mandatory, right?  Or better yet, you should insist on only buying cars made before 1968 when seat belts became mandatory.  Or maybe a car made in the 1930's or whenever it was they started mandating the use of safety glass in windshields?

That said, I'm actually a little annoyed that Honda put this low rpm assist system on my bike without my knowledge.  Even though it's actually kind of a nice feature and it wouldn't have prevented me from buying it - I was kind of creeped out when I found out that after almost a year of riding my bike a computer has been monkeying around with my throttle for all this time :tongue:   What else is it doing that I'm not aware of?  I think Honda should have mentioned this feature in their promotional materials like Suzuki does.

As for the Traction Control poll I referenced above, I was by no means claiming that it was scientific.  I only referenced it because I felt someone reading Rectal's assertion that it was "awful" should know that not everyone here shares that view.

It seems government grows and perpetuates itself by creating controversy through "needed" regulation to protect us from ourselves.  We can't even use "hate speech" in spite of the 1st amendment.  "Hate thought" is next to be outlawed.  Where does the constitution say we can't hate someone?  Behavior is what should count and that is already regulated so WTF?  We'll need a multi-billion study to determine how to enforce hate thought then billions more on enforcing it.  Liability and perceived liability has cost us incalculable amounts of money in some of the things we buy.  I want traction control on my tennis shoes so I won't slip next time I wear them but, really, I don't think I'll slip because rain will become extinct due to climate change which is very real because it just rained at my place......  I'm going to sue somebody next time I slip starting with the shoe manufacturer.  It's only a matter of time before "motorcycle violence" is outlawed.  Never mind cage driver intelligence quotients.  Rant over....

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Bent said:

Behavior is what should count and that is already regulated so WTF?  We'll need a multi-billion study to determine how to enforce hate thought then billions more on enforcing it.

Reminds me of the old Tom Cruise movie :tongue:

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

LOL - I hear where you're coming from and respect your point of view.  And this may be why Honda gave us the choice in the USA of having ABS and TC on the 8th gen, they know that a significant portion of our population don't like having computers taking control of things for us or government regulators forcing safety equipment on us.  But if you are anti-regulation, can we assume that your car is a pre 2012 model made before Electronic Stability Control became mandatory?  Actually, you would probably want to get a car made before roughly 1995 when airbags became mandatory, right?  Or better yet, you should insist on only buying cars made before 1968 when seat belts became mandatory.  Or maybe a car made in the 1930's or whenever it was they started mandating the use of safety glass in windshields?

That said, I'm actually a little annoyed that Honda put this low rpm assist system on my bike without my knowledge.  Even though it's actually kind of a nice feature and it wouldn't have prevented me from buying it - I was kind of creeped out when I found out that after almost a year of riding my bike a computer has been monkeying around with my throttle for all this time :tongue:   What else is it doing that I'm not aware of?  I think Honda should have mentioned this feature in their promotional materials like Suzuki does.

As for the Traction Control poll I referenced above, I was by no means claiming that it was scientific.  I only referenced it because I felt someone reading Rectal's assertion that it was "awful" should know that not everyone here shares that view.

Oh, cow chips, the TC is awful, you and a few others just haven't figured it out yet.  I'll draw ya' a picture later.

And by the way I'm still driving a car from 2000.  Last time I drove one with ESC - a rented Sonata with sport wheels/rubber and a six-banger - I found it was slowing me down noticeably in the curves near Alice's and had to turn it off to have any fun at all.  And ya' know, like, it's not as if that motor was gonna shame any Bugattis...

Yeah, that crap probably stole my credit card info, too.   Very suspicious!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/14/2017 at 7:47 PM, Rectaltronics said:

Oh, cow chips, the TC is awful, you and a few others just haven't figured it out yet.  I'll draw ya' a picture later.

And by the way I'm still driving a car from 2000.  Last time I drove one with ESC - a rented Sonata with sport wheels/rubber and a six-banger - I found it was slowing me down noticeably in the curves near Alice's and had to turn it off to have any fun at all.  And ya' know, like, it's not as if that motor was gonna shame any Bugattis...

Yeah, that crap probably stole my credit card info, too.   Very suspicious!

LOL!  We NEED TC, ABS, quick shifters AND and an AIRBAG is coming on our 104hp crotch rockets!!  Never mind driver education.  We don't need that.  It makes too much sense.  Can't pass an annual test, no driver's license.    

Glad to know I'm not the only one actually ENJOYING owning and driving two, model year 2000 Japanese cars.  One with over 240K miles on it that runs like new and the other a Tacoma with only 110K miles on it and running like new.  I love the lack of technology in these work horses.  One doesn't have ABS, so, in reality, I must be dead.  Strange insurance rates didn't go down when ABS and airbags came out.  

Meanwhile, I still think where you ride and rider skill have more to do with bike safety than anything else.

I really need to ride but this damned rotator cuff surgery healing is a bitch.........  

Archived