What size is the splined gear shifter shaft on a VFR800 (98-01) - 10mm or 12mm?

Snapper

As per the title, I am trying to establish whether the splined shaft that the gear pedal attaches to is 10mm or 12mm. I've tried measuring mine (on the bike) and I keep coming up with a figure of 11mm :blush: .

The reason I want to know is that I am searching for a shorter, wider gear pedal, as I have big feet and have just fitted wider foot-pegs to the bike, making it harder to make contact with the tip of the gear shifter. I could get a spare standard lever and try bending it outwards (don't fancy that much), or I might be able to source an aftermarket part once I know the correct spline width :wink: .

Thanks, in advance, for any accurate input.

• Member Contributer

Honda parts are often interchangeable...

20160523_171818x.thumb.jpg.dbf03065f0e8fc4cb8fb8304b42186d1.jpg

This is the RC46 gear shift pedal on top of the RC36 pedal.

20160609_115803x.thumb.jpg.35469548bdc77d6fd85da05b31bccc66.jpg

This is a couple of other Honda gear shift levers on top of the same RC36 pedal (which bikes they came from I don't remember, but I'm sure I posted about them somewhere), but none are shorter and wider than the RC46 pedal.  Your best bet may be to acquire an RC36 pedal, heat and re-bend it (it is steel, unlike the others).  Note, however, that the reason I was looking for other pedals to fit my RC36 was because my OEM pedal's splines had worn, making it loose--eBay RC36 pedals may also have worn.  HTH.

[EDIT: I measured the spline to be between 10mm and 11mm.  I would guess that means it is "10mm", but I don't know for sure.]

Ciao,

Yeah, that's my problem, I measured it to be around 11mm too :unsure: .

As you say, a lot of these pedals seem to be interchangeable. If I could determine the correct spline width, I might be able to order something from another bike - even something as radical as this perhaps :goofy: ...

Link ...

Archived