92 VFR750 Fuel Leak

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2014 VFR800 earlier this year and put my 1992 VFR750 in semi storage in my garage.  I put fuel stabilizer in the tank and topped it off.

Today, after about 5 months of no riding (on a battery tender), I took her out for a ride.  She started up fine and I was gearing up as the engine warmed up when I noticed a puddle of fuel forming under the front fairings.

I turned off the engine and took the side fairings off and started the bike again.  Fuel was raining down from what looked like the carbs.  I took the tank and air box off and upon further inspection, it appears the fuel is coming from one of the lines above the carbs.  It was tough to see exactly where the fuel was coming from due to all the lines in the V of the carbs.

I didn't have time to further investigate but wanted to check in on the list.  Has anyone ever experienced one of the fuel hoses on the carb assembly leaking or cracking.  The bike idled fine.  No stumbling or hesitation.  But man was there a lot of gas coming out.

TIA,

Roger Hsu

Los Angeles, CA

• Member Contributer

My 96 900RR does this on the first ride of the year.  The o rings on the T's between the carb shrunk over the winter and onced they swell back up everything seals back tight.  Did leak like a sieve until they swelled up though.  Gonna change them out over the winter.  Could be the same issue you have.

• Member Contributer

Yep, my '97 did this as well.  You have two options: replace the plastic tubes/O rings with Honda parts or there is a seller on ebay that has metal tubes.  I suggest replacing all of them, I think there are four and not just the leaking one.

Carb removal and splitting are required.  Take pictures of assembly before splitting carbs.....somewhat a "trick" as to how they go.

Thanks guys.  I was looking through the manual last night and the plastic tubes appear to be the culprit.  Regarding the ebay seller, does this link look like the right parts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1986-1993-VFR700F-VFR750F-FUEL-AND-VENT-TUBES-/192254595501?hash=item2cc34451ad:g:emQAAOSwHnFV2JLM&vxp=mtr

Thanks,

Roger

• Member Contributer

One more thing to check before you go splitting the carbs are the carb overflow tubes.  Two joined black tubes facing rear of the bike.  If your floats are stuck or the fuel inlet plungers are gummed up, you will get quite a bit of fuel coming out of the two tubes.    Run the bike with the tank lofted away and shine the light on the owerflow tubes to make sure that this is not the culprit.

if the O-rings are going to swell and seal it takes one or two days--with fuel in carbs--to happen. heat helps, so if you can run the engine, do it.

you really don't need new tubes to fix a leak, just new O-rings on the tubes you have.

Archived