New guy, to forum and to Hondas

bykemike

• Member Contributer

Hello all, a few minutes ago I just plunked down the money on a nice ,clean 1995 VFR 750. Pretty stoked on this, sort of surprised I am.

A long time BMW guy, (4) Rxxoo GS,s, 4) R1100S bikes, 1) R1200S, an RT, an R1150R, as well as a few Ducatis, most recently a 999, and before this a nice XB1200R Buells,  this is the short list, lots more , and somewhere in there is a 929RR Honda ( meh) and an Aspencade.

I didn't go to look at this VFR with the intention to buy but when the seller hit the key, that was it for me.

DR pipe, 32k miles, all stock except for a Corbin seat, stock seat and cowl included (look New), 2 owners , still running original chain.

Going to be in my shop tomorrow night, will spend the weekend going through the basic stuff 'I gotta do to be sure" list, any suggestions appreciated.

IMG_1207.JPG

• Member Contributer

Hey Paul, thanks. Seller pointed out it was just done so I am good there.

I believe I will be doing a drive chain change, 32k sounds like a lot on a chain although it looks good. Fluids for sure, front brake pads were looking a bit thin. Based on what I have read here I think I will leave the valves alone for a while

• Member Contributer

4th gen is a fantastic bike. 32k miles is like nothing. They are a very hard bike to beat. I am on my 3rd VFR and my second 5th gen. 

5/20/17 picked up a pristine 1997 VFR that had  just 7,778 miles with just some pitting on the oil cooler line and the exhaust  shield.  Never dropped.  I considered it a great find.  But remember it is 20 years old. 

I am not done but this is what I have done in the last 800 miles. Changed oil and filter.  Disassembled clutch slave, cleaned out crud and flushed with new fluid.  Inspected BRAKE PADS,  little wear.  Flushed front and rear master cylinder and caliper(s).  ANTIFREEZE drained-put IN NEW-burped system.   Tire date codes were old so new Michelin CT2 mounted- wheel bearings checked- cleaned and waxed wheels. Chain wiped down and re-oiled-slack adjustment checked.  Bike has almost no corrosion and electrical connection had had none so far.  I checked rectifier plug and added a VOLTMETER so I know what is going on all the time. New NGK Spark plugs installed.  Blew out air cleaner filter.  New gas line filter.  Horn and bracket pitted, removed and painted.  Checked fairings and seat cowl for cracked tabs (all good).   We are still getting acquainted. I also bought off eBay, the Honda Service manual.  

• Member Contributer

Figured I would put up a couple of my other bikes;

I got more, tell me when to stop :)

Think the VFR can stand the competition?  I am certain it will run way cooler than the Duc and the Buell in a Fl summer traffic jam. Boxer cup is a great bike, if only it had a bit more power.  The GS...beyond compare for what it is best at.

ducati 999.png

buell 217.jpg

106_1376.JPG

2007GS (7).JPG

• Member Contributer

You don't have to stop, I've got 9 bikes. 7 V4's, a CB550 and an CRF1000. You are among friends :+)

The 4th Gen is a fantastic bike, it is the most neutral ride I've ever had.

The guys above have offered some great advice, luckily the PO addressed the R/R issue. Did he indicate he replaced the harness also? If not look up VFRness

If you decide the bike is a keeper.

Look for an 3rd gen 8 spoke rear rim. Yeah they look great but more important they run a 180 as opposed the the 4th gens 170. This will give you a wider range of tire choices. FWIW I run Bridgestone S-21's on my bike. Its a straight swap. They are getting harder to find and pricey but I think it would be well worth the cost/effort. I had a 3rd gen 2 years ago when I worked in England and actually sold the bike when I shipped out without the rear rim to a bemused buyer so I could put it on my 4th Gen here.

My 4th Gen came with a Corbin which I found to be not ideal when I wicked up the throttle, the seat pan was way to big and I was sliding around the saddle at the worst possible time. I'm 5'7'' 145lbs so the stock seat works far better for me. Not sure what your situation is, but if you are close to my size I would give the stock seat a go before I hit Western NC.

You have a great example of a 4th Gen. Plastics are an issue. I came up with a DIY frame slider for my bike as the others I could find all needed to cut the fairing. If you are interested PM me or post up and I'll give you the details.

Nice collection of bikes, have ridden the GS in Europe, never ridden a Buell or Boxer cup. The last Ducati I rode I turned into a 100 ft yard sale in a corner in Wales.

Only pic I could find of the 3rd gen rim on my bike.

1488919817275.jpg

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, FromMaine said:

The last Ducati I rode I turned into a 100 ft yard sale in a corner in Wales.

Freakin funny!

I spend so much time in WNC I am starting to be friends with some of the motel owners.  I expect to be up there as soon as I check the oil, oh yeah I need to get it registered too

Hey, a couple more...my 07 R1200S...wowza

bmw 2001 sal (6).JPG

new BMW.JPG

106_2108.JPG

• Member Contributer

Oh, don't get the wrong idea, the Ducati, the BCR,the Buell, the RT and the R1200S I sold over the last three years. I have an AC business, I am not a cardiologist.

These bikes are off shoots of my hobby which is to find a bike in a place I want to be (usually NM or AZ or northern CA) vet the bike to some extent, fly there and pick it up and drive it back to Florida the long way and then sell it, usually at a loss

but an acceptable loss that I can justify as a vacation expense.

Sometimes I keep one for a while but not often.  Sometimes I encounter some mechanical issues but usually more of an annoyance than anything serious.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, bykemike said:

Oh, don't get the wrong idea, the Ducati, the BCR,the Buell, the RT and the R1200S I sold over the last three years. I have an AC business, I am not a cardiologist.

These bikes are off shoots of my hobby which is to find a bike in a place I want to be (usually NM or AZ or northern CA) vet the bike to some extent, fly there and pick it up and drive it back to Florida the long way and then sell it, usually at a loss

but an acceptable loss that I can justify as a vacation expense.

Sometimes I keep one for a while but not often.  Sometimes I encounter some mechanical issues but usually more of an annoyance than anything serious.

What a brilliant strategy Mike! Maybe you are too smart to be a cardiologist...

• Member Contributer

That V4 note will get you every time, it's in your blood now! Let's see how you fare? Awesome history of bikes, welcome.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Called fly n rides, you get addicted to it. I get on the plane with riding gear , clothes on my back and a credit card, buy cheap duds at dollar General as you roll, throw them away when they get stinky and your near another DG, buy repair tools as and if needed, carry a can of Fix a flat...you are good. You should see my map of roads ridden in the USA.

Favorite Deli is in Stanely Idaho best cheeseburger at Middle Gate station along NV 50, they got gas there too, one grade,one pump, better get some too!

• Member Contributer

Getting a plate on it tomorrow AM, Saturday is the first day ride down 19 through the Ocala National forest down to Mt Dora to figure out what I need to fix.

I found some cracks on the left side seat fairing tonight, needs to be replaced. Would have thought the seller would have pointed them out.

Love fixing stuff (good thing) :)

3 hours ago, bykemike said:

Getting a plate on it tomorrow AM, Saturday is the first day ride down 19 through the Ocala National forest down to Mt Dora to figure out what I need to fix.

I found some cracks on the left side seat fairing tonight, needs to be replaced. Would have thought the seller would have pointed them out.

Love fixing stuff (good thing) :)

You can patch that seat fairing to get you by till you get a better one.   On the inside surface scuff it up with a drimmel or sandpaper where the epoxy will go. Maybe even groove out the crack some but be careful not to go all the way though.  I also put clean packing tape on the outside to hold crack together if needed.  Get some JB weld and apply  around crack about 1/2 to 1 inch around crack.  Apply some nylon mesh screen (get at window shop ).  If crack is out to an edge lay a nail (with head cut off) along the inner edge or ridge with jbweld for strength.  Paint over inside surface if you wish when cured.  You would be surprised how strong this will be.  It also works for fixing cracked tabs too so look over all mounting areas.   I used this method on my VFR400r because fairings in good shape are far more difficult to find than our 4th gen VFR as I can only get them in the UK and Japan.

• Member Contributer

That sounds like a good method Bill, something I can do and put right back on after drying time. I was thinking I will pull off all the fairings and just poke around and see what I can find. Good for my piece of mind , this might be my day today. My short ride when I bought it I noticed the front suspension feels a little soft , is that a common observation?

I figure a hundred or so miles on Saturday will sharpen up my impressions of the bike and generate a list , which is more than half the fun.

• Member Contributer

I thought I was having starting problems this morning so I decided to drive a couple of blocks and fill up the bike, it has been idle for months maybe longer I found out. I filled up the near empty tank with top grade,

reset the trip odo and thought maybe I would go an extra block to bring it back to my shop.

This bike is way fun, I had put on nearly 100 miles by the time I thought maybe it would be good to get back to work. Purrs right along, great seating, refuses to get hot even stuck in traffic...I may be hooked

Thinking going back to stock silencer, another ride or two will tell. Has a nice D&D on there now.

The other question...it feels as if the front steering stem bearing are fighting me when I turn the bars at slow speed , are there settings, lube points etc?

gas run.JPG

• Member Contributer

On the lift, the headset bearings notch to a center point, the bars turn easy enough but when they come within a few degrees of center they "fall" back to a center point and have to be pushed to turn out of the notch.

Am I correct in assuming the headset bearings will have to be changed?

• Member Contributer

Yes they will and I would replace them with a taper bearing set as the OEM is a ball race. Notching of the headset is normally an indication of someone doing heavy wheelies I.e. Dropping the wheel back down heavily

good timing !!  from what i've observed on different bikes over alot of years is that OEM head bearings are OVER-due for replacement at 35K unless they've been maintained properly.

tapered bearings last longer but are not as sensitive to tire feel in turns as balls, so replace with Honda-supplied Japanese OEM bearings, not chinese !

• Member Contributer

Bearings on order, as soon as they arrive I will take it apart and set it up with the right preload being sure they are molyed.  The PO had been driving it that way for a while, not a wheelie guy I assure you . just not a maintenance guy.

I am riding anyway tomorrow, cant do much more harm and it is Saturday, so it looks like I will need bearings, some fairing Dzus fasteners, gonna flush my clutch system, did the brake flush today, new pads all around, new chain and maybe a set of Galfer lines.

Do you change sprocket ratios on these things? feels about nuts on the way it is but I defer to experience.  Maybe get a stock silencer to see how that is.

Thanks for the support, great forum, I gonna donate!

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, bykemike said:

On the lift, the headset bearings notch to a center point, the bars turn easy enough but when they come within a few degrees of center they "fall" back to a center point and have to be pushed to turn out of the notch.

Am I correct in assuming the headset bearings will have to be changed?

Yes indeedy...your bearing races will have little ball bearing dents in them that cause the self-centring effect. Time for some tapered rollers.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, bykemike said:

I am riding anyway tomorrow, cant do much more harm and it is Saturday,

I wish would have read this yesterday. I'm in Jax. I rode down 13 this morning to 207 and back up A1A. Could have meet up for a ride. I have a 97 same as yours. Mine has 50k on the clocks. Great bike, I would leave to gearing alone dead on IMHO. May be some other time we can meet for a ride. PM when your up for it.

20170518_162327_1495156984907.jpg

20170604_152357.jpg

Archived