VFR750F J wont start after fitting new clutch plates

MrOrange

Hi -  Newly signed up  as I have an issue with my VFR750F in that all I get when starter button pressed is a click, just like batt. is flat.

Back ground info is that bike was laid up for 5 months got out of garage and found that the clutch would not work - assumed stuck ... but bike did fire up ok.  So replaced master and slave units, as they seemed to be pretty poor operational not much movement in slave cylinder but still no clutch. So drained oil and took side cover off inspected clutch plates they where stuck pretty good, so ordered new set and fitted them. New oil filter and fresh oil, gasket - Clutch now working but then only a few small turns off starter and then just clicking from solenoid. No more movement from starter

Tried bump start to get going but no good.   All electrics are working as they should - side stand working, clutch lever switch - all operate fine,  

New battery ordered and fitted, still the same, took plugs out and turned engine over to see cylinders moving ok - even with jumper pack just the same

Took starter out and tested by old batt jumping direct - spins ok  - re-seated that still the same but oddly checking the voltage to the starter it hardly moves the meter needle when starter button pushed, just the same with solenoid jumped 

Starter only turns if taken out ,when seated back in no movement and click from solenoid engaging

Also noticed that I was not hearing petrol pump clicking so took that out and tested all good 0 but seen that that will only fire if engine is running - ignition on 2 & 4 cyls - and float bowls low empty - is that right? 

So seems I have an electrical issue?  - is there some other safety relay that I may be missing, seen posts about Banking Angle Sensor (BAS) but don't think my model has one of those ?

Any help most welcome.. I have run out of ideas

Thanks

Merv

• Member Contributer

Attached is the circuit diagram for the RC24 starter. The solenoid should engage when you push the start button, provided there is a ground path through either the neutral switch (in neutral) or the clutch switch (clutch pulled in). 

I'm guessing you've done this, but I would check that you get 12v at the solenoid when the start switch is pressed (Y/R wire to ground). 

Does the starter spin when you jump directly from the battery to the starter (bypassing the solenoid)?

VFRJ starter.png

Hi Terry    Thanks for taking time to post the wiring diagram, very useful to see what on the circuit.... so no BAS :-) 

Cleaned all contacts and put in new 30am fuse just in case, still the same clicking - but putting Volt meter on input starter +ve  and -ve to frame, pressing start button the output from solenoid is only showing 4-5v so that is not going to even tickle the starter, where as input to solenoid is well up at 12v  - think solenoid gone duff, got a new one on order - hopefully its just that - also now I have taken it out, after trying to start the bike a few times tonight, it is getting hot so must shorting out 

Will post out come

• Member Contributer

Yep, sounds like the solenoid has passed its use-by date, MrOrange. Hope that is your problem sorted. Lots of fun keeping ageing bikes going, isn't it?

Yep - neatly 30 yrs old and I have had this one for 6 years - 50 mile daily round trip for work, only let me down once with fuel pump failure .. and now this little issue ....so pretty damn good piece of kit...she still will do well over 140mph .. best bike I have had ... love it !!

OK -A very important lesson learned today - read the manual carefully !!!

It was not the solenoid, nor the electrics, even though I have now gone through every connection and earth I could find and cleaned them up, the only one that did look bad was the stator feed up by the R/R ... even took the starter out, opened it up, cleaned and checked brushes (where length is 12m new - 6mm serviceable - still had 8mm on them) - note you will need to solider in replacements, which I have now got standing by as thought it may have been that.

So, after 3 oil drains and 3 days messing around, I bet I am not the 1st VFR crank case virgin to be caught by the little devil that lurks inside :goofy:, as when you open up the case, a washer will drop out, this sits on the centre pin of the main starter gear drive, the pin will pull out as you take the side cover off.  

It goes on the INSIDE of the gear not the outside.... as if you do that, you will find that the starter will spin with the cover off but once you put the cover back on, do the bolts up, the starter will jam and you just get the dreaded clicking, so be warned, the washer is also a spacer !!. 

The clue was in the tile of this post all along, as it was working OK before I changed out the clutch plates.

Anyway it is happy days and is she now back up and running sweet, just made it for today's British Superbikes race meet at Thruxton circuit..  the game is on !!   :beer:

Archived