Been around a LOT of vfrs, but never have I seen this

Picked up this 91 today. It's rough, but she won't be when I'm done with her. She joins a 90 in my garage that is in the same shape. That bike also has a tbr lh exhaust.

so, here is the bike and what I found under the air filter...wt heck is it? four silicone quality lines going to this machined valve with a control knob securely fastened to the bottom of the air box

Thoughts?

20170801_172219.jpg

20170801_173358.jpg

20170801_185250.jpg

• Member Contributer

I suppose it could be water injection (same function as nitrous--to cool the intake charge, thus allowing more fuel/air to be sucked into the cylinders).  IIRC my hot rodding days, you usually added extra fuel at the same time as the nitrous or the engine would run lean due to the extra air.  Does the engine run?  Any bike with this sort of mod would raise red flags for me!  I'd not expect it to have had an easy life.

The circuit board at the back looks like an LED tail light.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I didn't notice a lot of proof of it actually working on the FC website...  Seems harmless, though.  

Ciao,

swapped out a starter clutch from another engine today and fired it up. I've never seen a 90-97 run so well off the bat like this. Sure, could be coincidence, but I'm really looking forward to taking this old girl for a spin. On a side note, this starter clutch was so afu it wasn't funny. Not only cracked, but the 3 12mm bolts holding it all together were not only stripped, but working their way back out and nearly into the case. It was un nerving to see. 

Archived