Warped rotors???

Tbone322

I have an 2014 8th gen with 11,000 kms.  A week ago I noticed some shuddering when moderately braking.  Very concerning.   I put the bike on the front stand and spun the tire.   At one specific spot you could hear a grinding sound.  Marked the spot and turned it to examine the rotor and found a small piece of raised metal about 2 mm long, 0.5 mm wide and raised enough off the surface to feel it easily with a finger nail.  Brake pads are obviously grooved out at the spot of this lump.   Haven't checked the rotor run out yet, got to borrow a run out gauge.  Getting it this week and will post an update.  Hoping they are not warped and stoning down the piece of embedded crap will solve the shudder but not hopeful.

anyone else have warped rotors?  Has anyone changed rotors and if so, what did you put back on - aftermarket or OEM?

• Member Contributer

Which came first, the lump or the groove in the pad?

The latter from a transient stone chip is something I've had before 

Your rotors aren't wearing or you'd hear scraping all the time 

• Member Contributer

I got a pair of badly warped rotors once...run out was amazing...almost a mm...with clever application of lever and run-out guage they were better than spec after about an hour of prying and measuring...somewhere there's a post about it...

Matt

I carefully removed the burrs and stoned the immediate area to ensure no raised edges.    Runout on the rotors is 3.5 thousands of an inch compared to the spec in the manual of 12 thou so no warping.   The shudder is gone.   

Stange how the same rotor picked something up to make a score and leave a raised burr on both sides of the same rotor within about 3 cm's of each other.    

Archived