Roadsmart III Profile

tbzep

• Member Contributer

What is the Roadsmart III tire profile?  Just trying to get an idea on how they will handle compared to my current knowledge base of Pilot Power, Pilot Road 2, and Metzeler M5 tires.   I have not run any of the newer tires for comparison cause I'm cheap and the above tires have been cheaper or had a buy one get one free promotion every time I've bought tires the last several years.     Dunlops have a $60 rebate right now. ;)

• Member Contributer

Errr...  rounded ?

I'm really happy with mine. They are not aggressive sports tyres but I find that the bike goes into a lean really lightly and easily. Happy medium between quick handling and stability and perfect for the VFR, IMO.

They have given me no reason at all to be wary of them whatever the weather conditions. Excellent ! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I was referring to how "rounded" they are compared to tires I'm familiar with, but I do appreciate any info I can get.  There isn't much to read about them, but what little I have seen agrees with your assessment of all weather goodness.

Pilot Road II's have a more flattened V shape and Pilot Powers and M5's have a steeper curved U shape.  U shaped PP and M5 turns in quicker and without a decent suspension set up to give you some ground clearance, you are wasting the outer edges of the tire.  It's been a few years since I ran PP's on both ends, but the M5's seem steeper walled (more U shaped) than the PP's were.   Flatter V profiles give an ever so slightly larger contact patch at the expense of running out of tire at extreme lean.  For the same compound, a flatter V should give slightly better traction and wear at less extreme lean angles, at the expense of slower turn in.  Of course none of these tires use the same compound, so traction and wear isn't really comparable.  Handling is comparable and makes a difference in how pleasurable the ride is regardless of speed and aggressiveness.  

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, tbzep said:

I was referring to how "rounded" they are compared to tires I'm familiar with...

I think you can, at least partly, infer that from my post. I have no experience with your favourites so I tried to convey an impression of how they behave without drawing a baseless direct comparison. 

I do realise it's not the full answer you are looking for but it's all I've got to share. 

I just tried to be humorous about the limited info. I guess I'm an incurable smart ass. :wink:

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, RC36Rider said:

I guess I'm an incurable smart ass. :wink:

I don't think there is a cure for it. My wife has given up on me.  :tongue:

I'll start by saying I was hesitant to purchase the Dunlop RoadSmart 3's because I felt my Bridgestone Battlax BT-023's had performed well enough to just buy a new set. In other words, I knew what I was in for with them. The other option was to try the upgraded Battlax T30 Evo. It seemed to get good reviews. But deep down I really wanted to try Dunlop tires, so this time I decided to give them a go. Anyway...

I'm not sure what the profile is on the Dunlop RoadSmart 3's, but what I do know is that they changed the handling of my bike in a very good way. I really like them! I was running Bridgestone Battlax BT-023's and truly never had an issue with them. In fact I really liked them too. I got 8000 miles out of them. But after putting the Dunlop RoadSmart 3's on the bike...it feels like a new bike. Steering inputs give immediate response. They have very nice turn in characteristics. No flopping in the corners, just nice smooth turn in. When riding in a straight line with the BT-023's, minor input (pushing) on the bars would result in the bike continuing in the same direction but tilting slightly one way or the other. The BT-023's also required me to work a little to get the bike to turn into a corner. Correcting mid-corner on the BT-023's required a lot more input and patience than the RoadSmart 3's. Not sure why the BT-023's behaved like this, but they did. Now that the RoadSmart 3's are on the bike turns with ease and mid-corner corrections happen immediately.  Dunlop gets high marks in my book after riding these tires!

Archived