2003 Front end options

mcrwt644

Ok boys and girls, I'm new to the FI market, and have a line on a 03 800 vtec for very cheap because the front end is mooshed. Yes, I know, look for steering head damage, triple damage, frame damage and the like. The forks are afu, as well as the headlights, fairing stay, some fairings, and the front wheel. 

A quick search on CL yielded an 07 front end complete minus the master cylinder and triples. My question is simply this, what front end would work on this bike, and does anyone out there have a front end they would be willing to part with? I'm in Northern VA and would pay for shipping, or travel up to 6 hours each way to get it (girlfriend likes to go on trips). Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Any '02-'09 front end would fit.  ABS might have some differences; not sure if they would make any difference.  Then there are USD fork swaps...

Ciao,

I found a cbr1000rr front end, minus the triple and clip ons for cheap, maybe cheaper yet. So any 02-09 honda front end? f4i, hornet, etc? I've always been tickled with the stock forks on my fourth gens (I know, weird) so I never paid much attention to the conversion threads, but it appears that a conversion would be cheaper in this case.

I've been reading about the triple clamps from 07 to 08 on the 1000rrs. The 08s are different, but I can't find out exactly how. They are CONSIDERABLY less expensive for one reason or another, so if I could verify and save even more $, I'd love that.

• Member Contributer

Sorry, I meant any '02-'09 VFR front end would be essentially the same as yours.  USD fork swappage is a whole other kettle of fish...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

As JZH said, USD fork swap is a much tougher, especially if the VFR is ABS equipped. The most common is an RC51 SP1 front end with a top triple from an 03-04 1000RR iirc. Its not just a bolt on job though

If you want to go down that road there are a lot of threads

• Member Contributer

I am in Haymarket.  I have a 2001 5th Gen and and 6th gen triples on my bike with an F4I forks and fender.  I also de-linked my front brakes.  I think your other option is to do F4i INternals...and keep your linked brakes.  That way you get some adjustability in your valving.   Of course, the easiest drop-in is to do Traxxion Dynamics AK20's and just drop them in with new springs to suit your weight and gear...

Matt

Archived