Chinese plastic

lancruza

Has anyone had any experience using aftermarket fairing plastic from China like what is pictured in this kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Addmotor-ABS-Fairings-Fit-VFR800-1998-2001-98-01-Interceptor-Plastic-Blue-H8829-/351144765296?hash=item51c1dbe770:g:Rs0AAOSwGvhT6x-H&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

I have never read a positive thread or review in regards to the Chinese fairings. At best they are "good enough" but more often than not they are brittle and ill fitting and people wish they had just bought OEM.

• Member Contributer

We have a set of blue Chinese ones.

They're a 6/10. Fitment is pretty crap. Finish is "ok" most of the time. Looks fine from 10 feet away, but I hate looking at it myself. All I see is the flaws.

You want to switch to blue. Don't waste your money on crap Chinese plastics. Get your OEM ones painted; even if done cheaply, it will still look better.

• Member Contributer

By the way, all of these questions should probably be contained in your single thread already discussing the color of your bike. No need to make a spiderweb of threads about the same topic.

5thgenthreads.png

• Member Contributer

I bought a set off Auctmarts on eBay. Sent them a bit of my old fairing for a colour match. I very happy with the outcome, great colour and finish, and fit is good enough. 628dfdcbc34ab6b776099b30cf7e38ce.jpg

Tail, nose and side are new, tank and fender are original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Terry said:

I bought a set off Auctmarts on eBay. Sent them a bit of my old fairing for a colour match. I very happy with the outcome, great colour and finish, and fit is good enough. 628dfdcbc34ab6b776099b30cf7e38ce.jpg

Appears you saved about $1000 and looks great. I would never expect similar quality to OEM. I just don't spend very much time looking at my bike. IMHO you have about an even chance of getting a poor paint job. I am interested in doing a euro 50th anniv silver upper and lowers for my prized 99 red VFR.  I can get the full set from HongKong for $366 or pay twice that for the oem side panels and perhaps De Dumbo and paint a spare OEM yellow upper i happen to have collected. It's a tough call. Since i plan on cutting holes in them for frame savers on top of it.

3 hours ago, Terry said:

Thanks for the input.  It's good to hear from someone who has had success with an alternative.  I definitely like to use OEM, but current pricing is too extreme for me on these panels.  Your panels look great.  How long have you had them?  I'm also curious about wear and tear.  How many miles on the panels?  

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the input.  It's good to hear from someone who has had success with an alternative.  I definitely like to use OEM, but current pricing is too extreme for me on these panels.  Your panels look great.  How long have you had them?  I'm also curious about wear and tear.  How many miles on the panels?  

I've had the fairings for 18 months and approx 10000km and a few removals/refits. The finish is great, more prone to chipping I think. A minor amount of flaking around some screw holes but not visible with the fastener in place. Maybe a little heat distortion along the very bottom edge of the side panel by the headers but not really visible unless you are on your knees.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

If you're looking for something that fits, forget Chinese fairings! Looks good but tabs break, paint peels and they crack easily. Stick with OEM if you can find it. At least try airtech in CA.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are still interested, here is an example of how poorly the Chinese ones fit.  I paid about $650 for mine, they didn't fit, so I complained and got my money back and kept the fairings.  I was going to use them as trackday fairings, but they fit so poorly that I was afraid I would not pass tech inspection.  They now reside on the wall of my garage.

Each photo shows how far off the holes were to lining up to the body of the VFR, including the pre-cracked nose fairing, and the front fender actually sitting on the tire.

P8280677.JPG

P8300699.JPG

P8300703.JPG

P8280669.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I am on my 2nd set of chinese fairings. They are fine for the price. I paid $330 for an 11 piece VFR set fully painted. That is so cheap its worth it to me. In my case, using oem plastics was not an option. OEM plastics are terrible when bought used. Most of the used plastics have 20+ years of wear on them. So you will spend a lot of time or money getting them to look half way decent. As a comparison, for $330 I would only be able to purchase the left and right oem fairings in good condition.

Initial fitment is a complete pain in the ass. I can only suggest taking your time so you dont over stress and crack any parts. However, once fitted you will not have any problems with them. They can be removed and installed just as easily as OEM. 

I still highly recommend chinese fairings as long as you know what you are getting into, and oem fairings are not a reasonable option.

Some of the fitment issues:

20151224_223101.jpg

underside where the left and right fairings meet. None of that area lines up.

20151228_004729.jpg

Here is a shot with the fairing fitment complete before I put it in the shop to have the tank painted.

20160318_165807.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived