Removing forks without removing handlebars?

Dobs

After 70,000 miles and a leaking fork seal, it's time to service my forks.  The manual says to remove the handlebars, including the grips and master cylinders, before removing the forks.

Is this absolutely necessary?  Is it possible to loosen the bar pinch nuts and drop the forks down without removing the bars?

G.

• Member Contributer

Wel, them bars clamp onto the forks so yes you loosen them so the leg can slide out. You donot have to discoonet the brake/clutch line or any electical connector if that is what you are wondering.

What you can do is while you slide out the fork leg, you use a long tie wrap to hold the bars ïn place by strapping them to the top yoke. (so on top of one another)

you donot want the brake/clutch reservoirs hanging upside down

Yep you can.  I got a couple  pieces of 11/4" doweling about a foot long, added a washer on top so they wouldn't fall through,  as I pulled the forks out I followed with the dowel,  all is good.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, RVFR said:

Yep you can.  I got a couple  pieces of 11/4" doweling about a foot long, added a washer on top so they wouldn't fall through,  as I pulled the forks out I followed with the dowel,  all is good.

Neat idea. Might try that next time.

Thanks guys.  I got them off.  I had a bit of trouble getting them out the lower clamp.  I ended up using a flat screwdriver to pry the clamp open slightly. 

The bars are sitting on top of microfiber towels, cable tied to the upper clamp.  I like the suggestion of using a dowel with a washer!

• Member Contributer

Also lay a rag on the fairing, under the levers. I have a permanent reminder, (scratch) on my bike now.............there is black plastic under the silver!

Instead of a screwdriver, I loosened both bolts on the lowers, and removed completely one from each side. Then I screwed it in backwards and put a penny in between the gap so it presses the lower clamp apart. Just a quarter turn or so after it touches the penny will do it. Then you have both hands free. Keep one hand under the fork, as might drop right out. Also keep the penny about 1mm away from the fork tube so you don't get a scratch on your fork. Makes installation a breeze as well!

That's literally my 2 cents worth!

Archived