Minor Victory - thanks to VFRD

xwahoo

• Member Contributer

Just a quick note to celebrate the replacement of my R/R in my 2000 VFR (5th Gen).  I couldn't have done it without the information contained on this site and references from your posts.  As background, I've had this VFR since 2002.  Now that I look back, the R/R problem has been plaguing me for years, perhaps going back to being stranded in the North Georgia mountains in 2011.  Subsequently, the problem got worse, to the point that I couldn't ride more than about 45 minutes without my battery being completely drained (and stranding me).  The local-to-me Honda dealership couldn't diagnose the problem ($75 later with no diagnosis) but the problem persisted.  Finally I read about the 5th gen electrical problems on this site.  I finally secured a modern volt-ohm meter (I have one from the early '70's LOL) and followed the testing protocol in some internet videos, as recommended by you and your posts.  The R/R had a bad diode, was producing about 12 volts even at 5,000 rpm, so I ordered a new one from Rick's (sorry Wire My Bike, sent you a message and never got a response) and put it on this morning.  Problem solved.  After years of not knowing what was wrong or how to fix it.  So this is a big Thank You to the VFRD community for the information that led to me fixing the R/R by myself (quite an accomplishment; I'm a klutz).  I'm so happy to have the bike working as it should.

Bruce Bland

Southport, NC

Archived