Is the 2012 worth the extra 2.5k (average used) over the '10??

achfly

• Member Contributer

I've been out of the VFR game for six years and I'm intending to get back in this fall when I return from my deployment to Korea.  I loved my VTEC but I'm really lusting after the 1200.  Cycle trader has a few of the 2012 or newer models and they are usually a couple thousand dollars more.  Is the traction control going to save my life one day when I get too ham fisted on the throttle or hit an oil slick in a turn?  Are the other updates really that helpful?  Are you 2010 owners really that annoyed with your fuel gage?

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't have thought the TC would be a decision-maker/breaker; you have to be a bit ham-fisted to get it to operate and you can always turn it off.

I reckon the fuel gauge on the 12+ model is almost a decision-maker/breaker though. The 1200 can be very bad on fuel consumption when you open her up and with only 18.5 litres to work with, the fact that not only do you get average consumption but distance to go (near the end of the tank) means it becomes far less of a concern, in my opinion. I've had bikes before without this facility and I'm a lot happier with it on both of mine

I also think the fuelling on the later models is better, less snatchy, and is smoother in the lower revs. But that's subjective.

Anyway, don't you get a bucketful of $$$ for being in Korea and when you come home? Surely you deserve a new(er) 1200 for all that sacrifice? :beer:

Traction control, fuel gauge, fuel mapping, and LED tail lights. That is all that is different between the years. Traction control has never really got rave reviews that I have seen/heard. Most say that it is overly basic. LED tail lights you can convert yourself if it means that much to you.

The fuel gauge would be "ncie", but honestly after a year I stopped looking at the fuel gauge and just went by the mileage. Fill up at 150 every time. 175 is the furthest I have ever pushed it. 

Fuel mapping, pfft! Don Guhl ECU flash regardless of what year you decide on.

The REAL thing to focus on is whether you want DCT or manual. I wish there was a DCT within a 100 mile radius of me when I was looking. I still want to ride one. 

I've got a 2010 and the only thing I would want would be the LED tail lights.  The fuel gauge doesn't bother me.  Sure, the first indicator disappears at 60 miles or so and then I lose another every 10-20 miles until the last one starts flashing... But in reality, I only really care about the amount of fuel left when it's getting low.  I've always had bikes with low fuel lights or petcocks so my trip meter is my REAL fuel gauge.

Traction control? Meh. I can get a little hot and heavy with the throttle and wheel spin hasn't been an issue (unless it's wet and I'm riding across painted lines).  I would think it would only detract from the riding experience.  I'd be more concerned with how the ABS works when wheeling and you need to bring the front tire down with the rear brake...

• Member Contributer

Only difference worth chasing down that I found, since we own both a 2010 and 2012 (both DCT), is the fuel mapping was better on the 2012. The 2010 had a Don Guhl reflash done and that rectified the grabby fueling issues. Both bikes have been terrific.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, marriedman said:

The fuel gauge would be "ncie", but honestly after a year I stopped looking at the fuel gauge and just went by the mileage. Fill up at 150 every time. 175 is the furthest I have ever pushed it. 

My point exactly. With the dtg readout, there's no speculation involved and you can push your tank further. That's a BIG plus for me, especially when touring but it can come into its own when on the backroads having some fun and you don't realise quite how much you've been using the throttle.

The REAL thing to focus on is whether you want DCT or manual. I wish there was a DCT within a 100 mile radius of me when I was looking. I still want to ride one. 

Good point. Rode a DCT 1200X 2 weekends ago but it had the older DCT with only 1 Sport Mode, not the 3 the current model has.

What is the difference between the fuel gauges?

I usually lose my first bar at 75-80 miles. When my last bar starts flashing (at about 170 miles), I have used about 4 gallons so I divide my trip meter miles by that and figure I have about 42.5 miles left. I've had over 200 miles on the trip meter before stopping for gas, and there were some stops out west when I was exceeding 50 mpg. I wouldn't try for 200 miles very often though! But like Skids, I like to use my trip meter as a gauge.

--Hotshoe

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Hotshoe1200 said:

What is the difference between the fuel gauges?

Later models have average consumption displayed and when the fuel reaches a certain level, it shows distance to go until empty.

There's no speculation or calculations required and it's accurate enough to run it down very low.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the replies!  I'm very much looking forward to joining your ranks again.  So cool that HS kept my profile all these years.  

Unfortunately Korea is not a combat deployment and so no extra pay for this trip.  Also they are charging me for my meals haha!  Oh well, its not a bad deal I guess.  3.13 a meal, but its the same stuff every few days... anyway... motorcycles... so many VFRs to choose from these days.  I need 1200x too.  That one I think I would go with the DCT but for the 1200F  I'll keep on clutching.

• 1 month later...

For the 2012 model also add these to the differences list:

+ seat material is changed, less slippery now, maybe better wear resistance near the tank

+ trip computer units can be changed from L/100km to km/L

+ trip computer displays also "liters left" countdown until 0.9liters then switches to two dashes "- -" (i am referring to the european version here). Filling at "- -" usually gets 17.6liters on the pump.

Tripmeters A and B have their separate fuel consumption averages, resetting one tripmeter resets also corresponding fuel average, similar to cars.

Average consumption for 2014 model is 7.4 L/100km for 7200km with 50% city driving

Long trip is 6.0-6.1 which is fair for what it offers.

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, vfr1200f said:

+ trip computer units can be changed from L/100km to km/L

+ trip computer displays also "liters left" countdown until 0.9liters then switches to two dashes "- -" (i am referring to the european version here). Filling at "- -" usually gets 17.6liters on the pump.

Hmmm....maybe the UK model is different but I get distance to go to empty once approx. 30 miles remains in the tank.

And I can also select miles/litre and miles/gallon on the dash as well as litres/100km & km/l - I  would imagine the US model would have miles available too.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Normand said:

Went to all the pages, not there !

You are correct Sir, that appears to be the 2010 model year which doesn't have this facility. Apologies.

I've scanned the page from my own Owners Manual below but notice it says "E type only" which may suggest Euro only???

SCAN0271.JPG

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Skids said:

You are correct Sir, that appears to be the 2010 model year which doesn't have this facility. Apologies.

I've scanned the page from my own Owners Manual below but notice it says "E type only" which may suggest Euro only???

SCAN0271.JPG

Skids, yes that might be Euro only, but i will try the sequence from your scanned page.

Thanks

Archived