2003 Interceptor

disturbed471985

Question

Yes, glad to be part of this group first off.. Yesterday I bought my first bike and it happens to be a 03 interceptor 800cc with 5,018 miles on clock. Bike is stock besides shorty levers "unknown brand". What are the top 10 mods to do to my bike? Power, comfort, style wise. If power then low end as bike will be my DD and under 85mph is where most its life will be spent at. I am 6'2 250lbs. Was not planning on buying this model as I was looking for a super sport (R1, Gsxr 750, RC51) but saw bike FS then got miles and for price paid Id been a fool to not buy. Ive only put rd 15miles on it so have o real seat time as I have yet to get tagged.. All help appreciated.

11 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Welcome!

What is "disturbing" (just joking) is the fact you are not posting a picture of your bike!  w/o it, you donot exist :goofy:

As this is your 1st bike, I'd would recommend #1 of top 10 things to be "advanced riding course"/do loads of practise runs, turning  AND braking manouvres.

Get to know how she behaves in detail (under controlled circumstances).

At some point in your biking career, you WILL drop her. We've all been there at least once...

Comfort? Stock is fine, do a couple of 1,000 miles on her and get used to what she gives. It is a motorcycle, not a Maybach...

#2 ATGATT.......  a good fitting helmet will not only protect your head, but a comfortable one (wind noise, ventilation, optical correct face shield) will not distract and thus improve your focus on what you are doing.

I may sound like an old fart, primarily because I AM one :goofy:

a.thumb.jpg.b326458ee45c8ee0d6d49c2a9142e6f4.jpg

Gear did go a long way when I totalled my redslut on an oncoming cager that took a left turn w/o spotting me

Right, performance......

Loose weight buddy, and I mean you (and with the best intention, not slagging you off)...

Donot know your age, but a BMI of 32 is not bueno...

Pound for pound, loosing one yourself is much cheaper that putting Ti bolts or a Li-ion battery in.....

If you are handy with a multimeter, check the alternator, voltage regulator, battery, starting relay and the wires/connectors in between.

So say after me:

Tag,

Gear,

Practise,

electrical circuit check

Having been on the Dragon on a 6th Gen, all I can say is "great choice of bike"!!!

Photo up..

Practice was already on my mind but not till my slider set has arrived. Helmet has been bought and is properly sized for my big head 3xl.... I am 32 and big boned lol.. Could i drop a lb no doubt but im lazy. Not looking for more power per say i was thinking more of a sprocket change at most. Aftermarket exhaust has already been ordered not to increase any but to give me the exhaust note I desire. Bikecwas bought from a dealer and had been inspected prior to purchase. Appreciate your response. Looking into a more comfy seat any recommendations on that?

FB_IMG_1497632440019.jpg

I'm a bit disturbed most of the time, more so some of the time, so Welcome.  I picked up an 06' VFR800A a few months ago.  It had already Helibars, Corbin seat, Staintune exhaust, and a few other farkle trinkets.  I added T-Rex sliders.  I don't think the Corbin seat is any better than stock, but do not know.  The Staintune exhaust, for me, sounds good.  The Helibars I think I could live without.  The sliders are more for a slow speed or zero speed lay over.  Considering the dealer has gone over the bike and that electrical, hydraulics and rubber are good, I would head off to the nearest suspension tune tech in your area and drop a few bucks having them setup the suspension for your size and weight.  Then I would plan to revisit for a retune in about a year when you develop a riding style.  During the year, or several thousand miles, you will along the way discover what fits you about the bike and what doesn't.

Back in 2005 I bought a new Honda ST1300A.  I immediately started putting on all the common farkles, wind screen, risers, seat, etc.  After about 5K miles and several thousands dollars I realized none of those add-on's made any difference, the bike never fit me and I never really liked it, although it was a great bike for some.  In 2006 I bought a new ZX14.  It fit so well, 31K miles went by without any add-on's!    The only thing I did was adjust the suspension for me and replace a lot of tires!  A small add-on that I can think of that may be useful is a battery tender harness, if your bike will sit for a month or so.  If you end up being a constant rider, that will not be necessary.  Oh, and a tool kit if you VFR does not have one.  That's it for me, hope you enjoy the bike.

Welcome to VFRD.  I've had Stock, Corbin, and Sargent seats. Corbin seats are nicely shaped but hard. Sargent seats are better but not really that much unless you put in long days.  Helibars are great if you are over six foot tall. Again, not that important until you get to long days. DM will take care of the suspension for sure. I've had an 02, 03, and 07. The 03 with PCIII was the smoothest running. If you have any fueling issues after exhaust mod, look into a Power Commander or RapidBIke.

Bike comes with a PC5 not installed. Reason for removal was after install noticed no improvement and was plan to sale to recoupe but traded in to dealer and they gave him alil extra towards trade for it. So i have it just not installed. Seats didnt feel bad but even after the 15miles and roughly 30 mins just sitting my butt bone was not happy.

• Member Contributer

:goofy:

press.gif.01442dca7b6618383ea83bad8a87646f.gif

Less force......

Also, give it time. Your body needs to get used to the "new" environment and (concious or not) you most likeky will sit "tight". So relax...  Getting back on a bike after 176 days (yes I was counting) I had aches in unexpected places and it was not Sweeper's thumb... :tongue:

As for planks, count your VFR blessings..

IMAG7539_1.thumb.jpg.2620eea440fcf05d2d566a75ed4d5cf0.jpg

• Member Contributer
On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:58 AM, disturbed471985 said:

Yes, glad to be part of this group first off.. Yesterday I bought my first bike and it happens to be a 03 interceptor 800cc with 5,086 miles on clock. Bike is stock besides shorty levers "unknown brand". What are the top 10 mods to do to my bike? Power, comfort, style wise. If power then low end as bike will be my DD and under 85mph is where most its life will be spent at. I am 6'2 250lbs. Was not planning on buying this model as I was looking for a super sport (R1, Gsxr 750, RC51) but saw bike FS then got miles and for price paid Id been a fool to not buy. Ive only put rd 15miles on it so have o real seat time as I have yet to get tagged.. All help appreciated.

Hello. You've come to the right place for opinions on VFRs, that's for sure.

My tuppenceworth; I echo everything previously mentioned and would take some time to get to know the bike before spending too many $ but I would also look at fitting O2 eliminators and de-PAIR'ing the bike before fitting the PC5 and getting a custom map. It certainly helped smooth my 08 VFR out on low throttle response which is one of the bike's weaknesses.

Enjoy and please keep us appraised of your progress. :beer:

I was really unsure if I even planned on using the pc5. As i just went with 2 bros slip ons (had to get something even if no performance is gained cause stock exhaust is horrendous in sound IMO) and as far as supposed performance enhancements thats where I plan on stoping. Pending my suspension upgrades from Daughtery I tossed around idea of getting matched flow injectors but thats a maybe. Price is decent so its not a pocket killer.

Archived