Good place to buy a reg/rec in the EU

htx

So my VFR has a blown regulator/rectifier and I'm in need of a new one. I'm looking to buy a MOSFET-based FH020 or serial SH775/SH847. Do you know of a good place to buy such an item from an EU country? I've found good resellers in the US, the problem is that if I were to order it from them, the shipping/importing charges would make me pay for it double, meaning I'm looking at around $400 for a new one!

I'm rather reluctant to buy such an item on eBay, as I've heard most of the units there are cheap China clones and are much more prone to failure.

• Member Contributer

eBay. Used MT-09 regulator (FZ-09 in the states.) They're FH020AAs, and breakers sell them for under 50 euro usually. Cheapest source of true FH020AAs!

That does make sense! Better to buy an original 2nd hand rectifier than a new, knockoff one. Do you have any idea which other motorcycles use good rectifiers? I've heard the one installed on 2010+ YZF-R1s is also a FH020AA or a FH012AA (previous model of the FH020 - also a very robust rectifier).

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, htx said:

That does make sense! Better to buy an original 2nd hand rectifier than a new, knockoff one. Do you have any idea which other motorcycles use good rectifiers? I've heard the one installed on 2010+ YZF-R1s is also a FH020AA or a FH012AA (previous model of the FH020 - also a very robust rectifier).

MT-09 as I stated. There's always a ton up for sale for cheap. FH020AA

• 6 months later...
eBay. Used MT-09 regulator (FZ-09 in the states.) They're FH020AAs, and breakers sell them for under 50 euro usually. Cheapest source of true FH020AAs!

I am going to buy an FZ09 rectifier for my 5th gen VFR. What else do I need? Can you send me the links? I am trying to save some money. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
On 1/28/2018 at 9:32 PM, nedfeliciano said:

I am going to buy an FZ09 rectifier for my 5th gen VFR. What else do I need? Can you send me the links? I am trying to save some money. Thanks

Other than that you need the connector kit (https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R-R_Connectors/r-r_connectors.html 3P250WP-QLW Female Connector SET  $14.95,) In-line 30A fuse, a couple ring terminals, and some nice 14 - 12 AWG stranded copper wire.

http://roadstercycle.com/Easy Mosfet Install.htm

• Member Contributer

I think you can also use the Triumph reg/rec adapter lead and cut off the un-needed plugs.  Last time I checked it was cheaper than buying the connectors alone, but you do have to splice it into the existing wiring.

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 7:32 AM, nedfeliciano said:

You'll have to be careful - there are a lot of fakes on eBay. I bought it from a guy who got it for his VFR, but ended up selling the bike before fitting it in. The price I got it for was around 70 GBP (~100 USD), so that's the price you'll probably be looking at. The fakes look almost the same as the original, so look at the details - the original has markings saying FH020AA and it's machined with greater precision than the fakes. Mine also has a metal plate flush with its housing on the bike side. In any case it's better to buy a good second hand one, than a new fake. It also came with the original connectors - two 3-wire plugs, of which only 5 wires are used in total. I also changed the wires coming from the stator to the rectifier and then to the battery, just to be sure.

Good luck! :)

Archived