oem Honda panniers arrived and installed

VifferJ

• Member Contributer

Lock set finally arrived from Honda so the panniers could be keyed to match my ignition key, these oem panniers are much smaller than any others I've had on bikes, but I do like the fit and finish of them. 

IMG_5392_zpsdmxhktco.jpg

IMG_5393_zpsvdc4lpg9.jpg

IMG_5396_zpsivlagqtq.jpg

IMG_5401_zpsxr5hxtzq.jpg

IMG_5402_zpsfx4zdkuf.jpg

IMG_5404_zpsdy4wvixt.jpg

IMG_5408_zpsjz4cxtu3.jpg

Excellent purchase!  Get the inner bag liners from Honda next :).  Then the upper box, then the quickshifter, then the........as I have been doing lol

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Corrugated said:

Excellent purchase!  Get the inner bag liners from Honda next :).  Then the upper box, then the quickshifter, then the........as I have been doing lol

Thx!

Yes I did get a set of the inner bags. As for trunk though I'm still debating, thinking I might just do some soft luggage for tail and tank bags, been looking at the Oxford options which seem pretty good, TBD I guess...

Where you located up there?  I'm heading up in a couple weeks to the Kirkland area to visit friends.  I wouldn't mind checking them out if you're out and about riding and it's not something that would inconvenience you.  I've been on the fence ordering a set.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, 14thumper said:

Where you located up there?  I'm heading up in a couple weeks to the Kirkland area to visit friends.  I wouldn't mind checking them out if you're out and about riding and it's not something that would inconvenience you.  I've been on the fence ordering a set.

I'm in the Portland Oregon area, shoot me a pm if in the area, if I'm available sure no prob

I like the look of the oem panniers and am thinking of getting some, but it's hard to tell how wide they are from pics -- from the front they look tiny, from the rear massive. My main concern is if they interfere a lot with filtering, which is one of the main advantages of having a bike in the first place (especially given how the roads clog up round here). What are people's experiences with that?

• Member Contributer

I believe that the panniers are a touch wider than that of a Gold Wing. :blink:

In my experience, you have to change your filtering habits a bit.  Like leading more with the front so that the back doesn't hit something as you curve around an obstacle.  Which I did literally the first day out on my 8th gen.  But it hasn't impeded me much except for maybe the ability to follow scooters weaving through tight traffic.

The following example video might possibly be someone I happen to know on an 8th gen in NYC traffic...  (and note the bonehead at about 1:30 - 1:35).

1 hour ago, Rectaltronics said:

In my experience, you have to change your filtering habits a bit.  Like leading more with the front so that the back doesn't hit something as you curve around an obstacle.  Which I did literally the first day out on my 8th gen.  But it hasn't impeded me much except for maybe the ability to follow scooters weaving through tight traffic.

The following example video might possibly be someone I happen to know on an 8th gen in NYC traffic...  (and note the bonehead at about 1:30 - 1:35).

In my experience, you have to change your filtering habits a bit.  Like leading more with the front so that the back doesn't hit something as you curve around an obstacle.  Which I did literally the first day out on my 8th gen.  But it hasn't impeded me much except for maybe the ability to follow scooters weaving through owing example video might possibly be someone I happen to know on an 8th gen in NYC traffic...  (and note the bonehead at about 1:30 - 1:35).

got to hand it to ya, spliiting lanes in the city, putting a lot of faith in those drivers, sunday mornings are the only time i will take my bike into the city....i have seen people splitting lanes on the west side highway....

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, HareBrain said:

I guess that wasn't with panniers on?

I like the taxi at 2.25 who thought he was a bike.

That was with panniers, thankyouverymuch.

Locals are accustomed to some silliness around 2:25.  It's where the right lane splits into two lanes and you have a mish-mosh of folks being eager to make the split and boneheads (like the white SUV right after) from the left lane deciding it's a great way to cut off traffic in what becomes the middle, so they can make the right turn coming up, when they simply should have been in the right lane all the time.  But hey, let's cock up the traffic in both lanes instead!!!

50 minutes ago, Tiutis said:

Holy shit, I need vacation just from looking at this. I think I d rather walk to work than put myself through this on a daily basis.

LOL!  And I only gave you less than five of a twenty-five minute trip!

For the right effect you need to put this on a 27" monitor with your nose about 10" away from it.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Alan553 said:

Lane splitting I believe is illegal in 49 states, California is the only one not illegal. 

At the moment that is more or less correct.  I say "more or less" because California recently addressed the matter in law.  So no longer must we say that it is legal simply because it's not illegal.  It is now explicitly legal within specified guidelines.

Arizona had about six years ago that passed Senate and House and then the Governor vetoed it with a pathetic chicken/egg FAIL.  I seriously hope Jan Brewer's spine fuses.  Adding insult to injury, that was a bill of a mostly test nature that applied to a only single county for a year.

There are bills to legalize lane splitting in Washington and Oregon right now.  The Washington bill was passed in the Senate and is stalled in the House.

The tolerance for lane splitting regardless of legality varies from place to place.  In NYC's infuriating stop 'n go, many folks actually see/hear bikes coming and make more room.  Folks driving AMGs, I'm thinking it could be self-preservation.  Folks driving twenty year old Corollas, not so much.  Yahoos like that douche in the minivan in the above video are fairly rare.  And usually when someone goes out of their way to be VTL vigilantes, it's some knuckle-dragging moron in a lifted dually or somesuch with plates from someplace south of the Mason Dixon line.

Before any of you get your panties in a bunch judgmental about lane splitting, let me know if you never speed.  :wink:

And read this:

http://news.berkeley.edu/2015/05/29/motorcycle-lanesplitting-report/

if you have to filter a lot just get the top box.  I have the 45L and it is great.  The side cases are the same width as the mirrors on the bike, I believe.  I have not measured the 1200 to see for sure, but it looks like they are.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

At the moment that is more or less correct.  I say "more or less" because California recently addressed the matter in law.  So no longer must we say that it is legal simply because it's not illegal.  It is now explicitly legal within specified guidelines.

Arizona had about six years ago that passed Senate and House and then the Governor vetoed it with a pathetic chicken/egg FAIL.  I seriously hope Jan Brewer's spine fuses.  Adding insult to injury, that was a bill of a mostly test nature that applied to a only single county for a year.

There are bills to legalize lane splitting in Washington and Oregon right now.  The Washington bill was passed in the Senate and is stalled in the House.

The tolerance for lane splitting regardless of legality varies from place to place.  In NYC's infuriating stop 'n go, many folks actually see/hear bikes coming and make more room.  Folks driving AMGs, I'm thinking it could be self-preservation.  Folks driving twenty year old Corollas, not so much.  Yahoos like that douche in the minivan in the above video are fairly rare.  And usually when someone goes out of their way to be VTL vigilantes, it's some knuckle-dragging moron in a lifted dually or somesuch with plates from someplace south of the Mason Dixon line.

Before any of you get your panties in a bunch judgmental about lane splitting, let me know if you never speed.  :wink:

And read this:

Ha ha ha the pre gator warning. ?

13 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

And read this:

But the new wrinkle is, the cell phone. That's the game changer...when people, especially in the city are slowed and stuck in traffic, they might be more likely to pick up the phone.  And the lane changing makes no sense, no one get there any sooner than anyone else in NYC.  That being said, when traffic is stopped at lights I always make my way up to the front, I can usually manage that in my Miata too, lol

• Member Contributer

Quoting FAIL there, Alan.       :wink:

The study I posted is recent so cell phone usage (and most other modern distractions) is/are accounted for.  Actually, cell phone usage, along with GPS gadgets, XM radio receivers, DMPs, etc. may account for some change in the risk ratio.  These things all contribute largely to things like rear-end collisions and missed traffic controls.  Someone picking up a phone isn't so likely to impulsively change lanes, though someone on a phone could be likely to change a lane without due diligence.

I know that even when I'm riding normally with traffic, when it's coming to a stop I move toward the lane division and I'm always watching my mirrors.  I've been tagged from behind two or three times on the bike.  Gently, luckily.  I've taken some pretty hard hits in the car.  One of my friends has been less fortunate.  He's been nailed a few times on his bike and once, hard enough to land him in an ambulance.  In the Midtown Tunnel where lane splitting isn't really an option.

It is remarkably easy to predict lane changers.  It's like a game of checkers or chess.  You see a taxi with no passenger approaching a highway entrance, good bet it's gonna make a u-turn illegally from the right lane so don't pass it.  Learned that early on.  That, and nobody and I mean NOBODY understands that you're supposed to make u-turns from as close to the center line as possible, much less why.  And of course you see a taxi in the left lane and a potential hail four lanes to the right, you know that cab is gonna rocket across no matter who or what is in the way.  You see any hole in traffic, you know that the person next to it is gonna wanna fill it.  You can feel all the lanes, how they move, which ones are slowing and which aren't, and predict what the drivers are going to do.  It is incredibly predictable.  You look at where the cars are in their lanes, you look at the positions of driver's hands and heads, check for eyeball sighting in their mirrors.  It's a jet fighter pilot level of awareness.  I've split here for many thousands of miles without a single side-swipe or similar mechanism of contact.

Filtering up to stoplights, one must be VERY vigilant about pedestrians jaywalking in the middle of the block, weaving their ways through the stopped vehicles and stepping out from the blind sides of vans and trucks without considering that a bicycle or motorcycle might be a threat to them.  Ignorance, belligerence or both.  And the jaywalking here is senseless.  I can't count how many times I've seen folks cross in the middle of a block, with their backs to the traffic, only to watch them walk to/past the next crosswalk anyway.  One stupid twat, I'm doing about 15 MPH in the 2nd Avenue bus lane, she steps out from behind the blind side of a panel truck right into my path without peeking, I grab a handful of brakes, stop literally less than six inches from her.  Then the f***ing c**t yells at me.  Because I'm in the bus lane.  Never mind it's also a perfectly legit lane for right turns.  The belligerence is just stunning.  And a less experienced and/or attentive rider would definitely have smushed her.

The only huge wildcard, really, is if you're splitting past stopped taxicabs or between any traffic and parked vehicles, because people are really poor at checking for oncoming vehicles before they open car doors, also a legal requirement.  It's a bit predictable but not nearly as much as it needs to be.  I've been door'd a couple of times on the bike and a couple of times on bicycle too.  The latter tends to end very poorly.  One incident cost me my front teeth.  The former, on one occasion a taxi passenger destroyed one of my side cases.  She was fairly well off and very sympathetic, took full responsibility and paid for a new set of side cases right there on the spot.  Truly an amazing woman.  Another incident, I destroyed a taxi door with my left knee.  Hurt like heck.  No clue how I didn't break the knee actually.  I impacted the edge of the door and crushed it in, and put enough force on it to move it on its hinges so the door would no longer close.  Just wearing Lee jeans, which now sport yellow paint.  I credit my attendance at a Beltane festival the week before.  Nothing else can explain it.

As for the Miata...  (and BTW I LOVE those cars), it also happens to be illegal here to drive a car or truck without being completely within your lane.  But unless my searching is wrong, the NYPD hasn't written such a summons a single time in four years.  Yet cops here will write bikes for lane splitting when passing a car that's only halfway in the lane, or when forced out of a lane by a car making an unsafe lane change.  Both have happened to me.  Then cops wonder why their hated and untrusted...

On 28/07/2017 at 3:07 AM, Rectaltronics said:

That was with panniers, thankyouverymuch.

Locals are accustomed to some silliness around 2:25.  It's where the right lane splits into two lanes and you have a mish-mosh of folks being eager to make the split and boneheads (like the white SUV right after) from the left lane deciding it's a great way to cut off traffic in what becomes the middle, so they can make the right turn coming up, when they simply should have been in the right lane all the time.  But hey, let's cock up the traffic in both lanes instead!!!

LOL!  And I only gave you less than five of a twenty-five minute trip!

For the right effect you need to put this on a 27" monitor with your nose about 10" away from it.

with panniers, I'm impressed!! Some of those gaps looked mighty small!

• Member Contributer

On another note, I kinda' wish all of the bike's plastics were made of the same type/weight of whatever they use to make the case lids.  We'd be replacing a LOT less plastic!!!

As one might predict from watching that video, I've had a few light scrapes over the last three years.  It turns out those cases can take quite a bit of knocking about, to the extent that it takes a LOT to break one.  And a few applications of Honda Pro Polish takes off whatever bumper rubber or paint gets left behind.

On 30/07/2017 at 9:02 AM, Rectaltronics said:

Quoting FAIL there, Alan.       :wink:

The study I posted is recent so cell phone usage (and most other modern distractions) is/are accounted for.  Actually, cell phone usage, along with GPS gadgets, XM radio receivers, DMPs, etc. may account for some change in the risk ratio.  These things all contribute largely to things like rear-end collisions and missed traffic controls.  Someone picking up a phone isn't so likely to impulsively change lanes, though someone on a phone could be likely to change a lane without due diligence.

I know that even when I'm riding normally with traffic, when it's coming to a stop I move toward the lane division and I'm always watching my mirrors.  I've been tagged from behind two or three times on the bike.  Gently, luckily.  I've taken some pretty hard hits in the car.  One of my friends has been less fortunate.  He's been nailed a few times on his bike and once, hard enough to land him in an ambulance.  In the Midtown Tunnel where lane splitting isn't really an option.

It is remarkably easy to predict lane changers.  It's like a game of checkers or chess.  You see a taxi with no passenger approaching a highway entrance, good bet it's gonna make a u-turn illegally from the right lane so don't pass it.  Learned that early on.  That, and nobody and I mean NOBODY understands that you're supposed to make u-turns from as close to the center line as possible, much less why.  And of course you see a taxi in the left lane and a potential hail four lanes to the right, you know that cab is gonna rocket across no matter who or what is in the way.  You see any hole in traffic, you know that the person next to it is gonna wanna fill it.  You can feel all the lanes, how they move, which ones are slowing and which aren't, and predict what the drivers are going to do.  It is incredibly predictable.  You look at where the cars are in their lanes, you look at the positions of driver's hands and heads, check for eyeball sighting in their mirrors.  It's a jet fighter pilot level of awareness.  I've split here for many thousands of miles without a single side-swipe or similar mechanism of contact.

Filtering up to stoplights, one must be VERY vigilant about pedestrians jaywalking in the middle of the block, weaving their ways through the stopped vehicles and stepping out from the blind sides of vans and trucks without considering that a bicycle or motorcycle might be a threat to them.  Ignorance, belligerence or both.  And the jaywalking here is senseless.  I can't count how many times I've seen folks cross in the middle of a block, with their backs to the traffic, only to watch them walk to/past the next crosswalk anyway.  One stupid twat, I'm doing about 15 MPH in the 2nd Avenue bus lane, she steps out from behind the blind side of a panel truck right into my path without peeking, I grab a handful of brakes, stop literally less than six inches from her.  Then the f***ing c**t yells at me.  Because I'm in the bus lane.  Never mind it's also a perfectly legit lane for right turns.  The belligerence is just stunning.  And a less experienced and/or attentive rider would definitely have smushed her.

The only huge wildcard, really, is if you're splitting past stopped taxicabs or between any traffic and parked vehicles, because people are really poor at checking for oncoming vehicles before they open car doors, also a legal requirement.  It's a bit predictable but not nearly as much as it needs to be.  I've been door'd a couple of times on the bike and a couple of times on bicycle too.  The latter tends to end very poorly.  One incident cost me my front teeth.  The former, on one occasion a taxi passenger destroyed one of my side cases.  She was fairly well off and very sympathetic, took full responsibility and paid for a new set of side cases right there on the spot.  Truly an amazing woman.  Another incident, I destroyed a taxi door with my left knee.  Hurt like heck.  No clue how I didn't break the knee actually.  I impacted the edge of the door and crushed it in, and put enough force on it to move it on its hinges so the door would no longer close.  Just wearing Lee jeans, which now sport yellow paint.  I credit my attendance at a Beltane festival the week before.  Nothing else can explain it.

As for the Miata...  (and BTW I LOVE those cars), it also happens to be illegal here to drive a car or truck without being completely within your lane.  But unless my searching is wrong, the NYPD hasn't written such a summons a single time in four years.  Yet cops here will write bikes for lane splitting when passing a car that's only halfway in the lane, or when forced out of a lane by a car making an unsafe lane change.  Both have happened to me.  Then cops wonder why their hated and untrusted...

As someone who lives and work in Paris where lane splitting is currently in a weird state between partially legal and tolerated  (and only has a VFR) I totally agree with what you said.

Once you get used to it, traffic becomes really predictable. Much more that it seems. And you can see a sort of "path" between" the cars in front of you.

Never been to NYC but to me the danger comes mainly from crazy tong-wearing maxi-scooter riders.... (and, unfortunately, some motorcycles as well...). Those guys are numerous, split lanes FAST (sometimes close to 100Kph...), constantly smash their horns and often kick or punch doors of drivers who don't let them pass immediately...

I had several close calls because of guys like this.... never because of a car in several thousand miles of line splitting.

And some French motorcyclists still wonder why we have a bad reputation... :mellow:

Anyway, my Givi side cases are still intact despite their width and me splitting lanes everyday. So if you don't drive too aggressively, side cases shouldn't be a hindrance to filtering.

Just my 2 cents here,

Ride safe :beer:

Looks beautiful, but I listened to the photographs closely and can hear the bike begging for frame sliders.

Because they were bigger than the OEM ones, I fitted Givi V35s to my VFR and my T-Rex frame sliders saved my bags (and the bike itself, of course), from bad damage when I let the bike fall after incompetently coming to a stop on gravel (the bike stopped like a champ, but my foot slid away from me like a bastard when I put it down). There was a tiny scuff on one of the bags, but you have to know it's there to see it.

Archived