87 vfr 700 questions.

joncano12

I'm new to motorcycles and I found this vfr in a shed got it going with a little elbow grease I want to restore it to original condition and ride it. How do I find the original paint scheme and color. it was painted black. I will have plenty of questions and would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. Any common issues I should look for?

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Paintcode sticker should be on the panel under the seat

The factory service manual (FSM) is your starting point. It will show you where the paint code sticker is and then go to ColorRite.com or here to decode:

http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/BHondaPaintCodes.htm

The paint codes are no longer useful to a shop or paint supplier. Original colors will need to be custom matched.

Go through the Maintenance section in the FSM for a good overview on what to check. A somewhat common weak point on these bikes is the charging system; upgrades are available, but if your's is charging then a thorough cleaning of connectors and ground points is a good place to start. Our old carbs are often in need of service, there's guys here to help if you're not up to it (Squirrelman). Safety first: brakes, tires (check the date code; if older than about 8 years, replace). Leaking fork seals are not uncommon, especially on stored bikes. If your bike has over 20K miles then a valve clearance check is in order, not difficult once you work your way down to the valve covers. Fresh coolant, fresh brake/clutch fluids, spark plugs...the usual.

Good luck, and photos are always encouraged here.....

JOE in IL

V4 Dreams (.com)

• Member Contributer

Welcome, Always nice to hear a machine getting another life! Picture?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I'll post a pic and n a little bit. I know who had the bike and he stopped riding it and got a Harley so it sat forever. I also got a parts bike with it. I paid next to nothing for both. I'll definitely check all of the thing mentioned. I'm pretty good with mechanical things but not always so I'm sure I'll be asking. The bike has high miles about 40,000. Is this a good or bad sign in your opinions ? I already cleaned the tank and fuel lines and filter replaced the spark plugs the front right one was a pain. Cleaned out the air intake system. New clutch fluid and bleed it. I lubed the chain checked the brakes and rode it down the street. Just want to do it right so I don't get hurt. Pictures to come in an hour or so.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

BTW, the front spark plugs and, of course, valve adjustment, is much easier with the radiator removed, which is not difficult. The 40K miles is generally not an issue, but, as always, it depends on what kind of life the bike led.

Where are you in Illinois?

Joe in IL

Archived