Specifications and Differences

SithLord

New member here, seriously considering buying an 8th Gen. the 6th Gen used to be my dream bike, then things changed, and 10 years later here I am again....

So, in Australia, we only get the Deluxe which as I understand includes:

Heated Grips

Centre Stand

ABS

Traction Control 

Is that it? And ALL 8th Gen from 2014-2016 came with these? Has there been any other updates over the 3 years?

Now I understand for 2017, they've changed to a Black frame, silver forks and added a 12v outlet. Anything else? Is this the only update there's been?

A little side note: Funny how the world works, I went into my dealer. They had one red 2017 on the floor. I asked is it was a demo. "sorry, the bikes not that popular so we don't have a demo". So, a bike is not popular and you don't have a demo, how are you going to try to 'sell' the bike to anyone? If they know they want it and will buy it anyway, then you don't need to have it on the floor. Doesn't make sense to me. Surely you would have a demo of the unpopular models in an attempt to generate sales. Oh well.... Will try to find a used one for sale before I commit.

I had a similar dealer experience, no test ride and couldn't be bothered finding the keys to show me inside the panniers. 2 days later found a private one with all the luggage and only 1600km took it for a test ride and bought it for $6000 less than the dealer. Dealership were just not interested in selling one. Same dealer was happy for me to test ride his ninja 1000 and suzuki gsx1000s?!? Even took my details promising to organise a test ride and never rang me.

• Member Contributer
47 minutes ago, SithLord said:

New member here, seriously considering buying an 8th Gen. the 6th Gen used to be my dream bike, then things changed, and 10 years later here I am again....

So, in Australia, we only get the Deluxe which as I understand includes:

Heated Grips

Centre Stand

ABS

Traction Control 

Is that it? And ALL 8th Gen from 2014-2016 came with these? Has there been any other updates over the 3 years?

Now I understand for 2017, they've changed to a Black frame, silver forks and added a 12v outlet. Anything else? Is this the only update there's been?

A little side note: Funny how the world works, I went into my dealer. They had one red 2017 on the floor. I asked is it was a demo. "sorry, the bikes not that popular so we don't have a demo". So, a bike is not popular and you don't have a demo, how are you going to try to 'sell' the bike to anyone? If they know they want it and will buy it anyway, then you don't need to have it on the floor. Doesn't make sense to me. Surely you would have a demo of the unpopular models in an attempt to generate sales. Oh well.... Will try to find a used one for sale before I commit.

Offhand I think that more suspension adjustments and an easily accessible adjuster for the rear preload also make up the difference, along with the idiotic self-cancelling turn signals.

44 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

along with the idiotic self-cancelling turn signals.

Oh yeah, forgot about them. That'll stuff me up with all our double apex roundabouts we have around here

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, SithLord said:

Is that extra for 2017 models?

No, but it isn't on the "standard" US models.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, SithLord said:

They also changed the exhaust for 2017 and made it available in Digital Silver - that's it AFAIK. Good luck in your search for a test ride.

• Member Contributer

Looks like we have the same in the UK

c4.png

Can't say it looks better, in fact it looks ugly, the silver fork legs look cheap and the black frame is a real turn off

14 hours ago, SithLord said:

Oh yeah, forgot about them. That'll stuff me up with all our double apex roundabouts we have around here

Don't worry, you can fix that :)

• Member Contributer

Hmm.. when one of you UK folks put on an aftermarket exhaust sell me your 2017 stock one... Thanks :D

Loving the quiet of the OEM but not the shape.

• Member Contributer

Yes your correct.  The rest of the world bike is the same as the dlx in the states.

All the gear as you stated plus the remote adjuster for the rear and adjustable sussie at front and traction control. 

updated for 2017

accessory socket included. 

Black frame different exhaust and silver fork legs. As well as the extras on previous model

11 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Looks like we have the same in the UK

c4.png

Can't say it looks better, in fact it looks ugly, the silver fork legs look cheap and the black frame is a real turn off

Yeah, dark greys, burgandy's are sorta grandpa, cardigan wearing colours for me (hate coming from the burgandy Gen 6 people now). Black and White, which are no longer available, would be my top two choices. Which I guess is half the point of my original post - to go older to get the colour I like, I'm only really missing out on the 12v power socket. Everything else is cosmetic.

8 hours ago, Katie said:

Don't worry, you can fix that :)

Will investigate that - so you can overide or remove it, can you? (probably a separate thread already been discussed)

• Member Contributer
49 minutes ago, SithLord said:

I'm only really missing out on the 12v power socket. Everything else is cosmetic.

You're not missing much.  The socket is OK for charging your toys but as far as I know it's not wired sufficiently for things like heated gear.  And it's way out of the way of where you'd be putting most accessories.

8 hours ago, SithLord said:

Will investigate that - so you can overide or remove it, can you? (probably a separate thread already been discussed)

You can and yes, many! Simple case of pulling two wires out of a plug and sealing them off. If you can't find the thread, let me know, I've got the instructions at home and can upload them later today.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

You're not missing much.  The socket is OK for charging your toys but as far as I know it's not wired sufficiently for things like heated gear.  And it's way out of the way of where you'd be putting most accessories.

I use my heated jacket just fine from the socket I had installed under the seat when I bought mine

There is also a change to the weight and power output on the 2017.

It's now listed as 239kg, down from 241kg and power is up to 77.9kw from 76kw on the 14-16.

• Member Contributer
On 7/25/2017 at 0:45 AM, Audible said:

There is also a change to the weight and power output on the 2017.

It's now listed as 239kg, down from 241kg and power is up to 77.9kw from 76kw on the 14-16.

Very interesting - is that info from the Australian Honda site?  I wonder if the weight loss and power increase are purely the result of the new for '17 exhaust?

If so, using the numbers you provided the '17 exhaust shaves 4.41 lbs and adds 2.55 hp which seems plausible since my Delk exhaust shaved just over 7 lbs and added 2.96 hp (if I can believe the dyno chart on Delk's website).

2 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Very interesting - is that info from the Australian Honda site?

Yes it is. I distinctly remember reading the specs when I was researching the bike as I bought mine in 2016 just prior to the announcement to the updated 2017 model.

The Aust website quoted 242kg, which is also the same weight specified in the owners manual. (page 129). The Aust Honda website now quotes 239kg on the 2017 model.

Honda's Aust website is one of the worst motorcycle website's I've ever seen, but it's what we have here down under.

http://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Sports_Touring/VFR800F

The power output varies from source to source, the Aust Honda website does not list power outputs. But when reading reviews and so on, the power output was often quoted as 76kw on the 2014-16 such as the www.bikesales.com.au review on the bike, but this review has been revised to reflect the 2017 model with 78kw, red & silver colours and also interestingly enough, 226kw curb weight instead of what they quoted previously, 242kg wet.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/editorial/details/quick-spin-honda-vfr800f-49422/

Archived