Front forks.Aaaahhhh!!!!!

• Member Contributer

First thing that comes to mind is way too much oil but you said "to spec". :unsure:

You did measure with the forks fully collapsed, right?  :mellow:

• Member Contributer

I agree with RC on this one; right oil, right level and all should be well. One other aspect that can cause fork harshness is binding, where the forks aren't nicely aligned in the clamps so that the are properly parallel. Best idea is to slacken off the bottom triple clamp, top steering nut and the axle clamps and nut (but not the top triple clamp!!!) and give the forks a jolly good bouncing, then tighten one item at a time with a good bounce in between each, finishing with the left axle clamp.

• Member Contributer

If you've backed off the standard springs all the way, then you have way too much sag and are working in the last inch or so of suspension travel. 

The standars springs are only good for a 50kg rider. 

Try winding in the preload the whole way. 

If that's not it, make sure you measured oil with forks fully collapsed and springs out. 

The other thing is to check forks are parallel, and you did the axle installation correctly. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VFROZ said:

If you've backed off the standard springs all the way, then you have way too much sag and are working in the last inch or so of suspension travel. 

Good point. :fing02:

Why didn't I think of that ? Damn ! :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I've owned 2 gen 5 since 1999. I've had all the issues common to the species but still think it's one of the best bikes I've ever ridden and owned. I sold my oldest one last year to make room for another project.

As for the forks, I've never been 100% satisfied until I installed a set of Jamie Daugherty's adjustable dampers last year. He sent me a set of springs even though I had already upped the rate a couple of years ago. At the same time I dropped the steering stem to check the bearings. I have a set of tapered bearings but didn't install them. I thought the races had been hammered and was feeling a bit of notchy but what I found was a bunch of hardened grease. After cleaning everything up and following the service manual's instructions, the steering feels great. Jamie's instructions suggest 5wt. suspension oil and a couple of clicks on the damper setting. I won't say it improved the bike to Ohlins standards but the difference was very noticeable. In the past I've installed RaceTech's valuing on a couple of bikes. On my VTR1000 I ended going back to the OEM valuing with stiffer springs. I am sure some experimentation with different shim stacks can fine tune the front end but how many times do you want to take the forks apart. Jamie's kit does it all and he usually answers the phone and answers emails.

Archived