Ice vest. Make or buy?

Its summer time in Texas and I know this about riding.   The faster you go the cooler you feel until the temperature hits 95 degrees and then its like riding into a blowtourch.    There are vests which circulate cool water in tubing to jeep you cool.   There are the primitive ones where to cold water must be prechilled and it seems these would be useful on short trips.   Then there are the complex ones which use a peltier chip to perform active cooling of the water.   Prices can range from under a hundred for the simple ones to 700+ for the complex Peltier chip based ones.   I found some plans online for a complex one I am going to make.     My question is how well do they work?  Anyone have one?   Would it make you comfortable enough to go riding in 100 degree F weather?

They do work.

Check youtube for rider reviews.

I believe that without an active chiller/ice box, most will work with just the evaporation process.

Those that are made from similar materials as the ice towel will work nicely as well. No pre-chilling, just dunk and wear.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, CathyEveridge said:

Its summer time in Texas and I know this about riding.   The faster you go the cooler you feel until the temperature hits 95 degrees and then its like riding into a blowtourch.    There are vests which circulate cool water in tubing to jeep you cool.   There are the primitive ones where to cold water must be prechilled and it seems these would be useful on short trips.   Then there are the complex ones which use a peltier chip to perform active cooling of the water.   Prices can range from under a hundred for the simple ones to 700+ for the complex Peltier chip based ones.   I found some plans online for a complex one I am going to make.     My question is how well do they work?  Anyone have one?   Would it make you comfortable enough to go riding in 100 degree F weather?

Not sure this would be a great idea on a VFR as where do you put it and can the electrical system handle the load.  After one seriously hot tour I considered this:

http://www.veskimo.com/body-cooling-vest-products.php

And I already carry too much stuff on tour!

But most of the time I would not need it as in my experience one can hack a few hours of heat.  Multiple tour days of hot running is what really does me in.  My cooling kit as described in my "But it is a Dry Heat" thread is a evaporative cooling vest which I charge in a ice bath in my soft sided cooler.  This does triple duty as ice chest for cool drinks for riding and in camp.  My vest lasts at least an hour.  Drink, drink and drink too!

I'll start by saying I ride daily in all weather.  It was 100° F here today on my commute home, so I recognize your situation.  I find the best solution is a chilled hydration backpack bladder in my riding suit.   As long as I'm sweating, evaporative cooling keeps me from overheating.  Drink, Drink, Drink from the bladder.   Comfortable?  Not really.  Bearable, yes,  but I enjoy riding and if comfort was the deciding factor I would take a cage.  Below freezing weather is another thread.

To your question....   I've heard that the human body generates about 100 watts in a resting condition.   Wikipedia indicates that these cooling chips are 10% - 15% efficient.   That means just to pull away the heat your body generates your going to need 1,000 - 1,500 watts.   I don't have a clue how many watts your body is absorbing from the 100+ degree atmosphere but, presumably, you're wanting to pull that away from your body too?  Let me assume for a minute that you're absorbing another 300 watts from the atmosphere during your ride.  (I have no clue if this is reasonable, understated, or overstated)  You now need 2,600 watts of power to provide your cooling needs assuming 15% efficiency.

My motorcycle generates 4,700 watts @ 5,000 rpm.    Assuming you're pulling 2,600 watts (at 12 volts) of this to satisfy these cooling needs, you're going to need a 250 amp fuse for that circuit's anticipated load. 

I believe the NASCAR guys use a cooler filled with ice and a small pump with a circulating circuit.  Refill with ice as needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Well depending on the source and sink the peltier is pumping from and into the effiecencies range from 10% to 70%. (in an ideal situation heat would flow using Newton's rule anyway.   It is not necessary to sink all human wattage (150W) but as little as 50 w will make you cool.   The claim is that 12v * 6 amp is more than enough.   In fact people now make battery versions.  Cheap 12v 3.4 AH batteries should drive 6 amps for a half hour.   I've got the parts and will eventually get the experiment done and let you know.

Archived