R/R Mod

afpierce489

Question

So, I believe that I've burnt up 2 R/R's in the past month.  The first one I've had for 9 years, now, a new one from Ricks.  I've sent it back for testing and possible replacement.  I would like to know, is there any modifications or relocations that can be done to help with the heat issue?  I've seen the computer fan attached to the top, but does that really work?  Let me know what you are doing to help dissipate the heat so I don't burn up another one.

thanks in advance.

14 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, afpierce489 said:

So, I believe that I've burnt up 2 R/R's in the past month.  The first one I've had for 9 years, now, a new one from Ricks.  I've sent it back for testing and possible replacement.  I would like to know, is there any modifications or relocations that can be done to help with the heat issue?  I've seen the computer fan attached to the top, but does that really work?  Let me know what you are doing to help dissipate the heat so I don't burn up another one.

thanks in advance.

www.roadstercycle.com

FH020AA

Rick's makes some crappy stuff (same ol Chinese import trash.)

www.roadstercycle.com

FH020AA

Rick's makes some crappy stuff (same ol Chinese import trash.)

Take note of that... Also on ebay some used units show up pretty cheap. Im using a fh012ab from a triumph 0 problems. Similar to the widely available fh020aa, both of them heat half than oem and others due to mosfet technology.

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, vegaquark said:

Take note of that... Also on ebay some used units show up pretty cheap. Im using a fh012ab from a triumph 0 problems. Similar to the widely available fh020aa, both of them heat half than oem and others due to mosfet technology.

Used FZ-09 regulators are also a cheap source off eBay. $25-40 for a FH020AA. Doesn't come with connectors (easy to get at http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R-R_Connectors/r-r_connectors.html), fuses, or wire. Not hard to do under $50 if you get lucky.

So I believe that my frame is causing my r/r to heat up.  I think that the frame heat is directly transferring to the r/r causing it to heat up more than it should.  I was thinking about putting an air gap (1/4" or so) between the r/r and the frame to allow for air to pass around the r/r.  Anyone else ever done this? and is it effective?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, afpierce489 said:

So I believe that my frame is causing my r/r to heat up.  I think that the frame heat is directly transferring to the r/r causing it to heat up more than it should.  I was thinking about putting an air gap (1/4" or so) between the r/r and the frame to allow for air to pass around the r/r.  Anyone else ever done this? and is it effective?

Just get the FH020AA MOSFET regulator. If your regulator is so sensitive the frame heat is causing issues, it's time to upgrade technology. 

ok,
The first few years, when i bought my vfr (quite a long time ago) i had serious problems with the R/R too.
So after 3-4 R/Rs and an equal amount of ...batteries i did this mod to my bike and i have no problem since then. Almost 10 years now! 
I put an aluminum plate between the R/R and the frame, and some extra computer heat sinks on it.
I also used some heat sink paste between all parts, for better heat transfer as you can see in the photos.
hope it helps...

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm using the FH020AA from Roadstercycles and it is really good. It never seems to heat up and I'm running all LED bulbs so the overall load is quite lower than normal.

• Member Contributer

I installed a Yamaha R1 Rec/Reg in place of the special MW4 high
dollar Rec/Reg... this was after I went through 2 stock R/Rs at $227
each and 1 $300 stator and still I suffered the problem of low volts
to the point where the engine would hesitate and quit... only after I
give up on Honda's stuff and tried Yamaha's stuff did I have the joy
of finishing my ride...

There's not a lot of extra space on the RC45 for extra stuff... I had to mill
off 1/2 inch off the fins and then design and machine a custom aluminum
hanger... but now I show a constant 13.7 to 14.2 volts no matter the
RPMS... I've completed this mod for other RC45 owners suffering from
charging and running problems...

hpqZqIO.jpg
gallery_3131_51_42896.jpg

On 12/19/2017 at 9:29 PM, BusyLittleShop said:

I installed a Yamaha R1 Rec/Reg in place of the special MW4 high
dollar Rec/Reg... this was after I went through 2 stock R/Rs at $227
each and 1 $300 stator and still I suffered the problem of low volts
to the point where the engine would hesitate and quit... only after I
give up on Honda's stuff and tried Yamaha's stuff did I have the joy
of finishing my ride...

There's not a lot of extra space on the RC45 for extra stuff... I had to mill
off 1/2 inch off the fins and then design and machine a custom aluminum
hanger... but now I show a constant 13.7 to 14.2 volts no matter the
RPMS... I've completed this mod for other RC45 owners suffering from
charging and running problems...

hpqZqIO.jpg
gallery_3131_51_42896.jpg

These aren't Honda or Yamaha RR's. All the OEM RR's are made by Shidengen. That particular rr that you installed is the FH011aa. It was a great rr and typical VFR modification 10 or 15 years ago, but there are much better and newer offerings these days. No need to hunt down a 14 year old Yamaha R1 rr. Like everyone has said a few times, just get a new Shindengen RR from roadstercycle. Either the FH020aa or the SH847 will be fine for many many years.

Archived