Lower bearing stuck in head-stock

This is not on a VFR but I'm looking for ideas as I'm stuck, literally and metaphorically.
There is no inner lip to strike form above.
I've heated the head-stock but it will not move, I've adapted a tyre lever to try and get a purchase on the bearing but it will not move.

DSC_0020.JPG

Try with heat and a ice cube... Heat all the zone with a torch then apply the ice cube to the ring.. It should fall.
Your last resort should be to take it to a shop with bearing extractors. Or buy one, but they are expensive for a one time job.

• Member Contributer

Slide hammers and bearing pullers won't do any good if there's no lip to work with.

Seems like you have two choices:

Take it to a shop that has a good welder and have him weld some material to the race and then use a puller/slide hammer. It's possible simply the application of heat may loosen the race enough to be removed fairly easily.

Get a die grinder and remove a small semi-circle of material from the headstock in two places opposite each other so you can get a driver on the race. Then drive it out.

As a last resort, using the aforementioned die grinder to carefully grind a groove through the race.

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

The OP stated "There is no inner lip to strike from above.", and all of those tools require there to be an inner lip that can be attacked. No lip, those tools are less than useless.

On 7/19/2017 at 10:17 AM, FJ12Ryder said:

It's possible simply the application of heat may loosen the race enough to be removed fairly easily.

Yep.  Three good MIG stitches around the inner circumference of the race that cover about 50% of the inner circumference will draw that race in enough upon cooling that it will fall out.

In a previous life, many a printing press and envelope machine gave up races with no exposed shoulder with no drama after a couple of stitches.

• Member Contributer

Your working on a 5th gen? On the lower bearing there is a cutout that you can see from the top on opposite sides. Get a steel rod around 1/2 inch in diameter and 2 long line it up on the cutout and tap the race out -- The rod goes in thru the top. --- I just did mine. It was easy. 

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Lee 2002 said:

I couldnt tell whether the photo was for example or he was working on his 5th gen, since he posted in the 5th gen forums.... 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

The OP stated "There is no inner lip to strike from above.", and all of those tools require there to be an inner lip that can be attacked. No lip, those tools are less than useless.

From the picture there is no face to face contact so there will be a lip.  Have had what I thought was same problem and I use the linked tool to remove bearing.

The other option is the trusty old Dremel and caution. 

• Member Contributer

As mentioned above welding a stainless steel bead around the center of the race (stick or tig weld). Make sure it is stainless as stainless shrinks more when cooling (coefficient of expansion/contraction)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Don't know what you're working but take a dremel tool and using a small carbide bit, grind a slot through the race- you are going to throw it away? Then you can take a pin driver and get it out. 

Archived